Using Sanken CS-M1 as wireless boom

Barbara

Hey,

Has anyone used the Sanken CS-M1 as a wireless boom with the audio limited a10, and does it create a hum noise? I'm having problems with my sanken when I use it as a wireless boom with a Denecke PS-1A phantom power supply and a G3/G4 or Wisycom, and it doesn't send any signal, I just hear a loud hum noise. But when I connect the sanken directly into the recorder I can hear it loud and clear, even using the Denecke as phantom power and connecting it to the recorder I can hear it. Does anyone have any issues with this, or is the Sanken malfunctioning? Has anyone used it as a wireless boom with the audio limited a10, and does it work correctly?

Since you have confirmed that the Sanken works fine directly into your mixer, with or without the Denecke PS, I think you can conclude that those two are fine, and there is something down stream between the mic and the mixer. Possibly the wireless, but since two different brands have the same results - most likely the cable between the receiver and mixer. Provided that your wireless systems are set up correctly, of course.

Hi,

I also use the PS-1A to power my mics. Works fine with Mkh60 & Km184-185, but doesn't with CS-M1. I have the same loud hum noise that you experience without any signal. I assume the Sanken isn't compatible with the Denecke.

I suspects its the unbalancing out of the denecke into the g3 or wysi..the lectro plug in is psuedo balanced..i have and i know others have added a 200 ohm 1:1 transformer on the output of the denecke its simple to add and thas solves a multitude of issues and alows an unbalnced output without issues. Neutrik do a 200ohn 1:1 transformer which is a perfect fit in the denecke

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2021 at 4:00 PM, r.paterson said:

The other thing to note is the denecle 48v passes the 48v thru to the output so even unbalanced you are hitting g3 or wysi with 48v hence putting isolating transformer on the output of the denecke.

I asked the manufacturer and they wrote: 

"The PS-1A and PS-2 output a quick voltage spike when the battery is first inserted into the unit. Once it is on, there is no DC at the output. If you are concerned about damaging your Tx, you will have to remember to power on the power supply prior to connecting it to your Tx. "

• 2 months later...