Running 48048 Sample Rate and 48k in Dante Controller

I've just put together a Dante Carte (3 Lectrosonics DSQD's into a Scorpio via Dante)  and of course started on a show that wants to shoot 24FPS and 48048 Sample rate and then pull down to 23.98.  I've got my DSQD's running Dante into my Scorpio set at 48048 and I'm not getting any errors with a sample rate mismatch.  Set the Scorpio to 47952 Sample Rate and it shows a mismatch immediately. Can you run the DSQD's at 48k going into a recorder set at 48048?  This seems like it would cause some major problems, or is there a way to set the pull-up/down in Dante Controller to make this work properly?

Thanks.

You can adjust the sample rate and pull-up / down in the Device tab in Dante controller. 

I am not sure if all options are available on all the devices, especially the DSQD.

But I am absolutely certain that any mismatch will not work at all.

I found this on Audinate’s website: 

Sample Rate
  • Shows the current sample rate of the device, and allows you to change the operating sample rate of the Dante device. This may require the device to be rebooted to take effect. All sample rates supported by the device are shown in the drop down menu.
  • Shows the current pull-up/down setting for the device, and allows you to change the pull-up/down setting. The pull-up/down setting can be used to adjust the sample rate of the device to synchronise audio with video that has undergone frame rate conversion. For example, to synchronise Dante audio with video that has been converted from 24 fps to 25 fps, set the sample rate pull-up/down for any relevant Dante audio devices to +4.1667%.
  • Applies to audio channels only.

Note:  Changing the sample rate pull-up/down for a device places that device in a dedicated clock domain. Dante devices can only transmit audio to, or receive audio from other devices on the same clock domain. See Clock Status View for more information.

image.png

I'm getting the impression the 8 Series converts the Dante to the Scorpio set Sample Rate at the input, I had mismatched sample rates at one point and nothing worked at all with a DAW and the Scorpio so I've experienced that happening.   Right now running 48048 on the Scorpio, the DSQD is sending it 48k and everything is working fine.  I checked that page in the Dante Controller manual, I'm slightly perplexed at the moment. When set to 48048 the Scorpio still shows up in Dante Controller as 48k in Device Config.

I may be wrong, but I think there is the network and interfaces clock on one hand, and the devices internal clock on the other hand. 
I don’t have a Scorpio and DSQD at the moment so my answer is not based on experiment, but I assume there are Sample Rate Converters on the inputs. 
I know there are are on the AES. 
Maybe a call at Sound Devices should help. please let us know how you worked it out. We will all be faced this issue in the future. 

39 minutes ago, jslocationsound said:

https://www.trewaudio.com/articles/48048-khz/

This article kind of explains the reasoning for the 48048 workflow, but yes it coincides with 24FPS.

Thanks, I checked it out. I guess because it's an older article, I'm wondering if current workflows still employ the pulldown or if they would just finish in 24.000. The math makes sense though.

2 minutes ago, jslocationsound said:

Got the answer from Sound Devices, Scorpio does digital Sample Rate Conversion on Dante inputs. Doesn't change the audio too analog and back to digital, straight digital conversion to recorder sample rate. Running DSQD's at 48k and Scorpio at different sample rate isn't a problem.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.