audio limited a10 recivers - best antenna distro and antenna

Bems

I have just bought a Audio Limited a10 system with 4 x tx and 2 rx. So far I am really  happy with the sound and build quality but I am having range problems. The range when used on a talent is too short.  I am using wips and I am working from a small bag. I would like to improve the range that  I currently have with wips without using too much space and weight in my bag. 

So I am wondering what people suggest for antenna distro and antennas for two a10 recievers in a bag. I would like the option to expand to one more reciver so I am looking for 3+3 or more sma outputs. 

I have looked into PSC and Audio wireless... are they any good? Any smaller / cheaper  alternatives that are any good? 

I am thinking i should buy two antenna setups... one for when I am running around with my bag and need them to be attached to the bag... and one when I am in "cart mode" and can have antennas on stands. 

Would betso bowtie be the best alternative for bag use? How much improvement vs wips would you guess i would get with just omni bowties on two a10 recivers? Is there a antenna distrubution that fits the bowtie ? ( small with no powersuply? )

As far as active antennas ... is wysicom active the best for this setup? or are there other brands that are "cheaper" that works "as good" ?

¨

8 minutes ago, Neil Mc said:

This works well, coupled with whatever antennas you want. Small dipole's for the bag, shark fins for the cart. 

https://professionalsound.com/specs/six_pack.html

Thank you Neil for the suggestion. I have a Sonosax r4+ and I am making a small custom bag to keep the size and weight as low as possible. The six pack would be to big.  

2 hours ago, Bems said:

Thank you Neil for the suggestion. I have a Sonosax r4+ and I am making a small custom bag to keep the size and weight as low as possible. The six pack would be to big.  

I see, I see. Any of the products made by PSC or Audio Wireless are professional quality and will work for you. These guys also make quality splitters: https://www.gothamsound.com/product/62-dual-channel-active-antenna-splitter

7 hours ago, Neil Mc said:

I see, I see. Any of the products made by PSC or Audio Wireless are professional quality and will work for you. These guys also make quality splitters: https://www.gothamsound.com/product/62-dual-channel-active-antenna-splitter

Thank you Neil. The AS-62 looks great. I think that one fits my bag perfect. 

Does anyone have Any experiences going from wips to betso bowtie on the a10s?( or other small dipoles)  How much more range do you get? Or do i need to go to sharkfins to notice a improvement ? (with only two recievers)

On 5/24/2021 at 6:02 AM, Bems said:

Thank you Neil. The AS-62 looks great. I think that one fits my bag perfect. 

Does anyone have Any experiences going from wips to betso bowtie on the a10s?( or other small dipoles)  How much more range do you get? Or do i need to go to sharkfins to notice a improvement ? (with only two recievers)

I use the A10's as well and in my experience they definitely benefit from using an external antenna.  I use sharkfins and the difference is very clear.  I haven't done any tests with my smaller dipoles but in my very unscientific but experience based hunch... they will help you yes.   Also if you can afford the antenna splitter it's a tool that will always benefit you.  Being able to setup a powered antenna 100 feet away to feed all your receivers  can make your life much easier in tricky setups or in times of pandemic where you can't be in the same room etc. etc. 

Hello,

I too use the A10 system.

While the vast majority of the time I’m working from my cart, I do have an over-the-shoulder setup for remote situations using a  Protogear custom bag.

On the cart, I have four dual RX which go into the Audio Wireless antenna distribution, which then accommodate two SNA-600 dipoles. The dipoles can be raised up to 15 feet, which I’ve found to work very well for the majority of situations. I’ve also got a couple of “shark fins” in case I need more distance. But in 99% of the time, the dipoles work perfectly.

For the remote setup, I have three RX fed into the same model Audio Wireless distribution, which again accommodate two SNA-600 antennas.

They are attached to the sides of the Protogear bag. This has worked well for me in the past, but I must state that I don’t wear the bag or try to boom at the same time. I’m usually sitting on an apple box on set, or in a camera car, with a boom operator, etc. 

I find that the bag is perfectly suited for my situation, but everyone has different needs which need to be taken into account. My bag wouldn’t work well in a documentary situation, where you need to move quickly and boom as well (I have a different setup for docs).

And the SNA’s would not be my first choice in that situation. Antennas and distribution really help with digital radio mics, as the whips are only mediocre.

That’s been my experience anyway.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Moe

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 9:47 PM, Moesound said:

Hello,

I too use the A10 system.

While the vast majority of the time I’m working from my cart, I do have an over-the-shoulder setup for remote situations using a  Protogear custom bag.

On the cart, I have four dual RX which go into the Audio Wireless antenna distribution, which then accommodate two SNA-600 dipoles. The dipoles can be raised up to 15 feet, which I’ve found to work very well for the majority of situations. I’ve also got a couple of “shark fins” in case I need more distance. But in 99% of the time, the dipoles work perfectly.

For the remote setup, I have three RX fed into the same model Audio Wireless distribution, which again accommodate two SNA-600 antennas.

They are attached to the sides of the Protogear bag. This has worked well for me in the past, but I must state that I don’t wear the bag or try to boom at the same time. I’m usually sitting on an apple box on set, or in a camera car, with a boom operator, etc. 

I find that the bag is perfectly suited for my situation, but everyone has different needs which need to be taken into account. My bag wouldn’t work well in a documentary situation, where you need to move quickly and boom as well (I have a different setup for docs).

And the SNA’s would not be my first choice in that situation. Antennas and distribution really help with digital radio mics, as the whips are only mediocre.

That’s been my experience anyway.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Moe

Thank you Moe.  It helps a lot.

Best regards

Bems