JBL EON One Compact

Wandering Ear

I recently purchased this JBL for on set work and it's pretty fantastic!

https://jblpro.com/eon-one-compact

It's been mainly a VOG with occasional playback.  Clean sound, lots of volume, and designed to sit on the floor angled up in a monitor profile.  I haven't tested the battery life (reported at 12 hours) as I usually just run a stinger and XLR from the directors monitors, so the battery only plays for short scenes or while moving around.

One issue I've been having is that sometimes it seems to turn itself off and I can't figure out why.  Support told me there is an auto power save mode (not in any documentation!) but it should turn back on with signal.  However I'm using a phantom powered mic directly in (Shure MX412D), and phantom also turns off so the mic goes dead and can't produce any signal to turn it back on.

Any one else using this speaker and experiencing the power downs?

The JBL carry bag is great too.  All in all this is the speaker I've wanted in my kit for many years.

Support told me the product team might add the ability to turn it off in a firmware update, but sounds like that couldn't happen until later this year.

This is what I got from support originally:

"I know that there is a auto standby on the Eon Compact, but what we have been unable to confirm is that the threshold for that is. I can confirm that it is 20 minutes of operation below the threshold it will fall asleep."

"With regards to a possible solution, if the paging system has a way to incorporate a short tone or chime, the speaker has a 3-4 second recovery from sleep. If the chime was loud enough to wake it, then a page could be made after power restores to the microphone."

- Obviously not a workable solution for me.

"the only reason we knew it was a feature and not a bug is because of the internal documentation available that records it."

- AKA it's not in the public manual which frustrates me!

I'm not really sure the auto standby is what I'm experiencing either.  The power off I experience doesn't seem to be scheduled, it seems random.  If it was shutting off after 20 minutes of no sound, then it should be off every day after we come back from lunch, but that's not the case, it's usually still on and working.  Sometimes it will turn off 2 or 3 times in the morning, then run all day without interruption.   Some days it runs all day with out ever turning off like I want it to. 

Part of me wonders if it has something to do with my phone bluetooth connection to the speaker for the control app, which I only use occasionally.  I wrap this show in a few more weeks, so I can hopefully do some more controlled testing later this month.

Funny enough, I just ordered one of these last Friday and it is supposed to be delivered to me this week.  I was tired of lugging around heavy PA speakers + trying to run mains to it for power so figured I'd give it a shot.  This "bug" / feature makes me a little nervous but I'll still give it a spin and see how it goes...

On 6/7/2021 at 4:24 AM, Matthias Richter said:

I have this speaker on set since 25 days now. All day on battery. No shut off whatsoever. 

This is good to hear.  Maybe there is an issue with my unit, and not a software problem.

All in all I love the speaker, and it's sound quality and volume are great. 

I’ve had one for about 18 months now and I’ve never had a problem with it shutting off. There was an initial firmware problem where it wouldn’t turn on if it was cold but a firmware update fixed that. It gets pretty loud and lasts along time on battery. I’ve never tested how long but it’s definitely many hours. Also if if battery life is a problem you can buy additional batteries for it since they swap out super easy. 

Do you folks use bluetooth and the phone app with this speaker? 

I have suspected for a while that it may be related to the bluetooth connection.  One thing I discovered today after it turned off twice in the morning, was that all the lights were off except the bluetooth button, and I was able to wake it back up by connecting to it with the JBL app.  Now I'm thinking that the auto power save only kicks in when it's connected to my phone.  I've got a week more on this show on the stage, so hopefully I can do some more controlled testing and get to the bottom of it.   If I have to ditch that app to make it work, I don't mind.

I got my unit this weekend.  Paired fine to my phone but refused to play any audio?  Did a firmware update with it via the app (which took almost 20 minutes for some reason) and now it is playing bluetooth audio fine.  I haven't had a change to hook it up to a wired connection but seems to sound pretty decent considering the size and lightness of it all.  Will play around more with it later this week when I have more free time.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, Wandering Ear said:

Do you folks use bluetooth and the phone app with this speaker? 

I have suspected for a while that it may be related to the bluetooth connection.  One thing I discovered today after it turned off twice in the morning, was that all the lights were off except the bluetooth button, and I was able to wake it back up by connecting to it with the JBL app.  Now I'm thinking that the auto power save only kicks in when it's connected to my phone.  I've got a week more on this show on the stage, so hopefully I can do some more controlled testing and get to the bottom of it.   If I have to ditch that app to make it work, I don't mind.

I never use it with BT on set. Either hardwired or radio link.

Today I forgot to disable BT on my phone and was connected to the JBL. Guess what?! It shut off by itself after I didn’t play anything on BT. 
So it could really be the BT …

6 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

I never use it with BT on set. Either hardwired or radio link.

Today I forgot to disable BT on my phone and was connected to the JBL. Guess what?! It shut off by itself after I didn’t play anything on BT. 
So it could really be the BT …

Hey!  That's great news (sort of... ).  I forced my phone to forget the BT connection and it hasn't turned off in 2 days.  I'm fairly confident this is the culprit. 

Although it's annoying, at least it's easy to avoid now that we've confirmed the cause.  Support told me the product team was considering adding the ability to disable that feature, but it won't be until end of the year likely.  Hopefully they come through.

Thanks helping me confirm this.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, Wandering Ear said:

I recently purchased this JBL for on set work and it's pretty fantastic!

https://jblpro.com/eon-one-compact

It's been mainly a VOG with occasional playback.  Clean sound, lots of volume, and designed to sit on the floor angled up in a monitor profile.  I haven't tested the battery life (reported at 12 hours) as I usually just run a stinger and XLR from the directors monitors, so the battery only plays for short scenes or while moving around.

One issue I've been having is that sometimes it seems to turn itself off and I can't figure out why.  Support told me there is an auto power save mode (not in any documentation!) but it should turn back on with signal.  However I'm using a phantom powered mic directly in (Shure MX412D), and phantom also turns off so the mic goes dead and can't produce any signal to turn it back on.

Any one else using this speaker and experiencing the power downs?

The JBL carry bag is great too.  All in all this is the speaker I've wanted in my kit for many years.

Which carry bag did you choose? I'm deciding what to buy, if a hardcase or a soft bag.

I have 2 of these and had the same problem but only with one of them.  It's definietly the bluetooth connection.   if there is an active Bluetooth connection and the speaker is getting no input signal it will go into standby mode in which only the bluetoooth light stays on after about 20 mins (haven't timed it).   It will not wake up then when it gets an input on the line or mic channels you have to wake it up by conneting to it from the phone app.   If there is no bluetooth coinnection to it the speaker will not got into this standby mode and  will stay powered up until the battery runs out.   If the  bluetooth light is on, not flashing  something is connected to it.  so make sure  that its off once you have finished any set up.  (turn your phone bluetooth off)

I haven't found this in the manual and  its a serious ommission.   A firmware update in which power saving can be disabled would be a very good idea.  This is a right royal pain in the rear end in a pro speaker.

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:21 AM, martyn legge said:

I have 2 of these and had the same problem but only with one of them.  It's definietly the bluetooth connection.   if there is an active Bluetooth connection and the speaker is getting no input signal it will go into standby mode in which only the bluetoooth light stays on after about 20 mins (haven't timed it).   It will not wake up then when it gets an input on the line or mic channels you have to wake it up by conneting to it from the phone app.   If there is no bluetooth coinnection to it the speaker will not got into this standby mode and  will stay powered up until the battery runs out.   If the  bluetooth light is on, not flashing  something is connected to it.  so make sure  that its off once you have finished any set up.  (turn your phone bluetooth off)

I haven't found this in the manual and  its a serious ommission.   A firmware update in which power saving can be disabled would be a very good idea.  This is a right royal pain in the rear end in a pro speaker.

I can confirm based on side-by-side comparison and live show experience. One speaker, connected to bluetooth, went to sleep. The other, not connected to bluetooth, did not.  Unfortunately I was unaware of this "feature" until the speaker went to sleep, unbeknownst to me, just before the show started.  Nothing I could do. Very frustrating. JBL - PLEASE update the firmware such that the auto-sleep can be disabled.

• 4 months later...

I have had the Eon one for about a year and a half. I use it for small gigs and as a speaker at my house. I have had and continue to have the same shut down problem and it is while using bluetooth to stream music via youtube. It has been intermittent, sometimes going weeks with no problem, however the past 48 hours it shuts off about every twenty minutes and I have to walk over and press any button or turn any knob to wake it up. Has anyone found a way to change or bypass the sleep setting?