In search of the ultimate lav mic'ing accessory case - just the case, not the components.

joshneal

Anyone have any cases that they love for taking with them to mic talent when not at the cart - holding/wardrobe/hmu.  In general I try to be flexible with productions, initially asking that the talent be brought to the cart to get their wire set securely when possible as the optimal situation.  However it does happen that there is need to mic talent in other locations.  My question is  - does anyone know of the ultimate case, that would have a ton of smaller compartments for components, maybe some zippered, maybe some velcrow , some large some small  - maybe some zippered cases.  Basically a one stop shop case that would securely hold every accessory that may be possible to use in the process of placing a wire so that there is never moment where you have to run back to the cart because you've forgotten something or there was something you didn't anticipate.  

I know what to bring in my mic'ing kit so thats not what I want this thread to be about (but if you do have a product you like that isn't well known fee free to share!).  I just want to see if anyone has come across a case/system that you love and are able to share with the community (Pictures a huge plus) that you have found helpful - whether meant for film or not.  Also just curious what systems other people use.  I hate having a bag on my hip (like a setwear pouch) unless the gig really calls for it (some reality), mainly interested in standalone cases for a multitude of components.  I think the perfect case would be rectangular,

zippered, and a little longer than those pleather lectro bags, but with a million pockets and compartments.

IMG_1373.jpeg

Thanks

Josh

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1374.jpeg

I use the DeWalt tstak system. My entire follow cart consists of it. I can adapt it to every job, because I can add more drawers if needed or remove some if not. 
The top is a tool case and if I have to go away for wiring it takes 2 seconds to remove it from the rest and then take it with me. 
There are no pictures on the website unfortunately, and I don’t have any with me, but there are two compartments on top in the lid where I keep all the small parts and tape and so on. The main compartment holds the transmitters and straps. I can also take the drawer case below that with me - they can stay clipped together so it becomes one large case - where I have anti shoe noise things and the lav snake, etc. Although I don‘t usually do the „shoe work“ myself. 
Have had this system for a few years now and it works really well for me. 

I use a DeWalt tool caddy for my follow cart. I only have eight wireless xmtrs, two wireless hops and four Comteks so I don't need lots of drawers. I put this cart on set for my boom op/A1.

Top bucket contains small wind screens, bongo ties, replacement connectors, thread adapters, tape, sticky stuff, two Tentacles, multi-card reader, VOM (VTVM stays on the bench), Rycote mic mounts, Rycote under and overcovers.

Next the top drawer contains xmtrs, hops, XLR/3.5mm/5-pin adapter cables, xmtr clips.

The second drawer contains hard wired Sony lavs, Sanken lavs, Countryman lavs, two plug on xmtrs, my premade cosmetic foam lav mounts, Ersa mounts, RM mounts, vampire clips, tie clips, IFBs and parts, XLR turnarounds, ISO transformer, headphone amp, phone to XLR interface.

The bottom bucket, which doubles as a seat for the boom op, contains two temple transducer head sets for Motorola comms, three plant mics, two shotgun mics, two Rycote Foamies, body straps for talent xmtrs, IFB amp, 100 ft. of boom op hard wired 5-pin cable, SD442 mixer

I built the pull-out shelf (hardware was $12 at Lowes) and attached it to the underside of the top bucket. I use it for soldering, make-ready, raspberry danish.

Umbrella and boom tubes attached to the back along with Velcro tough straps for cables.

The only thing I wish to improve is to add larger diameter wheels for rolling over rough terrain. Otherwise it is near perfect for me.

DeWalt01s.jpg

DeWalt02s.jpg

DeWalt03s.jpg

DeWalt04s.jpg

• 2 months later...

DSLR shoulder bags is what I've mostly used, though most, if not all the camera companies are moving away from this style....though it's actually a perfect bag I find for our uses.

I'm looking into a few options right now for my current show. My research is narrowing down to something like a Tamrac Stratus 21 (one of the few large shoulder camera bags) shoulder bag, a Nanuk 933 photo kit case, a Cinebag Stryker, or an orca or-8 to or-13 camera bag.

For lavs, I like to use the Plano Adjustable Double-Sided Stowaway Medium (3400). It can hold 12 wires. There is also a smaller version that can do 10 wires but I find this one to fit the wires more easily, be it DPA, Sanken, Countrymen, etc.

Adjustable Double-Sided StowAway® Medium (3400)

I use similar cases from Plano for accessories.

I notice the OP is from Oregon. If you are near a Bass Pro Shop, that's where I get all my cases for lavs and accessory cases.

Little accessory box from Wish. It's bigger than the ones that I've seen people keep individual their mics and their accessories in.

This is for little mini accessories only (mounts, windscreens, clips, etc.). It does not come with lures, etc. Shipping can take a while.

I use a countryman hard case for my lavs.

https://www.wish.com/product/5aed4a21beb8ef716bcc5b43?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=CA&_force_currency_code=CAD&pid=googleadwords_int&c=6493229759&ad_cid=5aed4a21beb8ef716bcc5b43&ad_cc=CA&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=CAD&ad_price=3.00&campaign_id=6493229759&exclude_install=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2eebw7W68gIVKz2tBh0eyQbXEAQYASABEgLdZvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=web

AccBox.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 8:39 PM, GNinja said:

DSLR shoulder bags is what I've mostly used, though most, if not all the camera companies are moving away from this style....though it's actually a perfect bag I find for our uses.

I'm looking into a few options right now for my current show. My research is narrowing down to something like a Tamrac Stratus 21 (one of the few large shoulder camera bags) shoulder bag, a Nanuk 933 photo kit case, a Cinebag Stryker, or an orca or-8 to or-13 camera bag.

For lavs, I like to use the Plano Adjustable Double-Sided Stowaway Medium (3400). It can hold 12 wires. There is also a smaller version that can do 10 wires but I find this one to fit the wires more easily, be it DPA, Sanken, Countrymen, etc.

Adjustable Double-Sided StowAway® Medium (3400)

I use similar cases from Plano for accessories.

I notice the OP is from Oregon. If you are near a Bass Pro Shop, that's where I get all my cases for lavs and accessory cases.

I use this exact plano case, its the perfect size...fits in my Orca OR-68 bag for the rest of the lav accessories

• 4 weeks later...

These days I like to use jewellery hangers.

IMG_20210624_193310.jpg

I've posted this in some other thread already.

@Attila

I've been thinking about a SYS Sort IV / 3 + SYS-Roll dresser, though more as a main cart.

15 hours ago, Attila said:

This setup is for cartwork. Everything needed is in this case. Grap the handle and go for the talent wherever she is

Would it make sense to put some TLoc Systainer in between the SYS-Sort and the Storage-Box, so that the handle of the SYS-Roll does not get in the way when opening the Storage-Box?

Would you sometimes prefer a top box without the handle sticking out?

Is the SYS-Roll handle high enough to easily roll it on 2 wheels?

Currently, on highly mobile jobs, I use the Remote Audio Adapt-a-Pak case a lav and accessories case. You can place the dividers yourself so make every compartment as large as you need it. And I prefer not having a lid on each compartment. This would be a bit pricey, though, if you don’t need the adapters…

https://remoteaudio.com/products/adapt-a-pak/

The Adapt-a-Pak cases are called Infinite Divider System and are made by Flambeau Products, -https://www.flambeaucases.com/ids

They come with or without a handle and can be mounted in a pull out tray. The box lifts out for mobility. I have 3 of them mounted with the slide-out trays on my cart. I'm very happy with it. I only wish they made taller ones for bigger parts.  Here is the cabinet for them - https://www.flambeaucases.com/ids-cabinets

The dividers that Constantine mentioned are solid as they are positioned with a fine-pitched grid of 'teeth' which are so fine, they are not visible in the picture.

Flambeau has several other useful products.

20210918_193858[1].jpg

20210918_193758[1].jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, DanieldH said:

These days I like to use jewellery hangers.

IMG_20210624_193310.jpg

I've posted this in some other thread already.

@Attila

I've been thinking about a SYS Sort IV / 3 + SYS-Roll dresser, though more as a main cart.

Would it make sense to put some TLoc Systainer in between the SYS-Sort and the Storage-Box, so that the handle of the SYS-Roll does not get in the way when opening the Storage-Box?

Would you sometimes prefer a top box without the handle sticking out?

Is the SYS-Roll handle high enough to easily roll it on 2 wheels?

The SYS Roll is brandnew so I didn´t had the time to test it. Next week the new job starts and I am eger to try  it out. I will share my experience. But at first glancethe system seems good. The profile is small and the 4 wheels let it easiley turn around. The handle is in a good height an you can open the boxes because the let space between the handle and the systainers.  When I ordered the SYS Roll I tought it is made of aluminium, but it is made of plastic. The specs says that I can handle up to 100kg. I hope it will work. But if it is designed for construction work, i I think it will. And also it is made of really sturdy plastic and made in germany. A little bit heavy it is. Detaching the boxes is a dream. Turn the green switch and ready. The wheels are also made of full platic. But iut should not to be to hard to replace them with rubber ones.

To carry the boom and the umbrella I have already modified it.

IMG_20210923_220936_6.jpg