Any decent inline low cut filters?

Allen Rowand

I'm looking for an inline XLR low cut to put in front of my RCA 74b for podcast recordings; the interface I'm using doesn't have a cut, and I'd prefer to not muck around with inserting software between the audio interface and videoconferencing software. See, the question is kinda about audio for picture…

Anything out there better than the Shure A15HP or PSC high pass in the $40-50 range I'm missing?

Hmm... -3dB per octave from 140Hz means you're down -3dB @ 70Hz and -6dB @  35Hz,  so it actually may not be aggressive enough, depending on what you are trying to filter out. 

The Shure specs say -12dB per octave below 100 Hz When loaded with a low-impedance microphone input (800 ohms or more). If I'm reading this correctly, you'd be down -12dB @ 50Hz and -24  dB @ 25Hz.

When loaded with 150 ohms, the roll-off is 3 dB at 100 Hz.

They say the output is flat above the roll-off point.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

You could get a Sound Devices 302 and use that. It even has 2-3 low-cuts and two settings per input. And it has other capabilities. These days you can get one for as little as $500

I've got one and honestly hadn't thought about using it for this, but I'd like to avoid adding another device, power supply, and cable to my desk. A set and forget inline device would be easier.

Can't believe I didn't think of Jon at Naiant: https://naiant.com/vpd-specification/ He has a four position mic level low cut filter that goes from 50 to 200 Hz. Looks like he's on vacation but I'll keep an eye on when production starts again.

For the time being I think I'm going to break down and do it in software. I can host a plugin chain (channelstrip, de-esser, and limiter) in Apple's AULab and then route that audio into the video software. Latency is good enough, the video is only so participants can see each other while we record the podcast so sync isn't really an issue.

I decided that the best solution to the problem was old school- I'm getting an outboard channelstrip. I'm tired of dealing with workarounds to put software processing on my input and don't want to spend the money on a new interface with built-in DSP. I have a simple interface I'm happy with, although I never should have sold my USBPre 2- hope you're enjoying it, @tourtelot. If you ever want to get rid of it, please let me know!

Next week I'm getting a vintage (as in old, not valuable) Rane voice processor: mic pre, high and low pass filters, de-esser, gate/expander, compressor, and two band parametric EQ. Since it's only for me and one mic, I can set it and forget it. My interface has direct monitoring, so I'll be able to hear exactly what's going to disk. Should be just the thing for podcasts, narration, and voiceovers.

And thus my low cut problem is solved, now to make room for another box, cables, and PSU on my desk…

Yes, but then I wouldn't have the rest of the signal chain. The more I thought about it I realized that just getting the low cut didn't solve my entire problem; I need a low-mid cut and high boost to voice the mic. From there it just made sense to move the whole processing chain out of the computer.

Besides, the 302 deserves to be used for more than just a low cut filter!