SD 833 as 10track + mix recorder

bary555

Hi

Is it possible to route and record xlr input to buses as isos, while using the SL2 on 833?

i often use 8 channel of wireless + stereo mic setup. I want to record mix also. 

The idea is to use 2xwisycom mcr54 receiver in SL2 and a stereo mic. 

Now i've been using mixpre 10 with sd302 connected to channel 9-10, but looking for upgrade 

you will be able to record a L and R mix track, and i think Bus 1 and Bus 2. ( i can on my 888 and scorpio, but am only assuming you can on the 833).

the manual (or an 833 owner) will be able to tell you how many physical inputs you can also record.

You can record the standard 1 through to 8 ISOs as per normal (with anything you like being sent to them), but the 9th & 10th "ISOs" are via recording Bus 1 & 2 (I've taken this approach numerous times, to squeeze the max out of my 833). Thus you can't include these last two "ISOs" in your standard mix (just bring up on the fader the next nearest physical source for a rough-ish mix).

As for how you physically get 10 inputs into your 833, I do that via the additional AES inputs I gain from using an XL-AES attached to my 833. But using an SL-2 is definitely another approach you can take as well. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You can record the standard 1 through to 8 ISOs as per normal (with anything you like being sent to them), but the 9th & 10th "ISOs" are via recording Bus 1 & 2 (I've taken this approach numerous times, to squeeze the max out of my 833). Thus you can't include these last two "ISOs" in your standard mix (just bring up on the fader the next nearest physical source for a rough-ish mix).

As for how you physically get 10 inputs into your 833, I do that via the additional AES inputs I gain from using an XL-AES attached to my 833. But using an SL-2 is definitely another approach you can take as well. 

That is some Good info:) I don't need to send the bus track (stereo mic) to the mix. It's Just there for post. I would go for the 888, but the budget is limited and i have to get some New wireless setup too

3 hours ago, bary555 said:

I would go for the 888, but the budget is limited and i have to get some New wireless setup too

Fair enough, there are also other reasons to go for the 833 other than just price: is lighter, more compact, and uses less power. 
BTW, if you haven't got the 833 yet, do it sooner rather than later! As Sound Devices has (for now) stopped making the 833, due to supply chain issues. 
What is the new wireless going to be? I'll be checking out the new Shure ADX5D in person today.