Pro Tools 2021.6 doesn't support video on M1 Mac

Naga

M1 mac users who work with video should not update to Protools 2021.6.

It will make the video completely unusable, so it's better to continue using 2021.3.
I hope Avid will release a version that is fully compatible with M1 soon.

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

Anyone here using an M1 mini for post?

I'm using Pro Tools 2021.3 on my M1 Mac mini for dialogue editing.
Of course, since it's not supported, there are a few glitches, such as some parts of the display being a bit strange, or it running extremely slow when importing multiple videos in different formats, but it's generally working fine.

The plug-ins are also fine as far as I can test.
I used to use a Mac Pro 2013, and I find the processing to be much faster than that. In particular when working with RX, the processing speed and drawing speed have improved dramatically.

I started using an M1 too. Video doesnt play through a Blackmagic interface, but it works on a second monitor through usbC. I hoped that 2021.6 would be an improvement. But it seems not to be. Just stay patient. 

And sorry that i didnt mention that i am using the mac mini m1. Virtual instruments ( Arturia) play well.

@Philip Perkins I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C69HG33?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My setup is a MacBook Air M1 with a Caldigit TS3+ dock and the DisplayLink adapter above. I drive my main (center) 4k monitor from the dock, my secondary (left) 4k monitor via DisplayLink, and my laptop is on a riser to the right. Works well, although the image isn't as sharp as I'd prefer. I just haven't bothered to tweak the monitor yet.

When I'm editing audio the track window is in front, with the mixer to the left. In Davinci Resolve the edit is in front, bins to the left, and the laptop is a fullscreen viewer. Since all my video goes online I may as well view it directly on a laptop screen…

On 6/27/2021 at 2:21 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Anyone here using an M1 mini for post?

Yeah, I have a mini running 2021.3.1 for mixing, sound design etc. Tried to update to the latest PT and was disappointed. Would be a really simple thing to say "Video not supported on M1 Silicon" PRIOR to download and installation... But I digress.

I've found that the video is completely unstable and unusable with anything other than DNxHD's in the 2021.x.x versions. A good workaround so far has been converting files to dnxhd with Shutter Encoder - It's free and works well. 

12 hours ago, Badgrrmmr said:

Would be a really simple thing to say "Video not supported on M1 Silicon" PRIOR to download and installation... But I digress.

Ya, it would be nice to have that as part of the updater. But Avid has had that info online for at least a week (when I checked); not sure when it was added. Here's some info on the updated compatibility page:

Not supported on M1 Macs at this time:

• Avid Video Engine is not available on M1 Macs at this time. However, we are working with Apple to resolve known issues to be compatible in the future.

The page:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/macOS-Big-Sur-Support

Also, Shutter Encoder looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning that:

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/