RRC charger and Audioroot battery compatability

Mattias Larsen

Hello folks!

I have a 49wh and 98wh RRC smart battery as well as their charger since last year as it seems to be the no branded version here in Europe. Normally the big battery lasts for more than a full day to power up my mixpre10 with potentially a UCR411a for boom. I recently modded my G3s and got an antenna distro as well as fins, so to be on the safe side I grabbed an Audioroot neo from a local audio shop.

It does not charge in my charger, the charger just keeps cycling through green, yellow and red led. Theese smart batteries are a bit to smart.

Is there anything I can do other than try to return the battery?

Do you need a propriety charger for the audio root? I dont need the readout, especially not on the neo as the battery even has an oled with the smart info and I like to keep my equipment with as small footprint as possible. Or is my charger only accepting RRC batteries? 

Has anyone got a similair experience?

Link to the charger: https://www.texim-europe.com/product/RRC-SMB-MBC-RRC

Link to the battery: http://www.audioroot.fr/product/esmart-li-96neo/

Based on the photo from trew, it looks like remote audio is now using the RRC OEM charger for the "HiQCH1 charger"

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/remote-audio-hiq1ch1/

And the batteries they sell are OEMed by Inspired Energy.

Now, AudioRoot is manufacturing their batteries from an unknown supplier, and they may have added in some restrictions to only work with their chargers.

Since your charger works with your existing batteries, my first guess would mean the battery is at fault.

Have you tested it in another charger? can you get your hands on another "neo" battery to check with your charger?

This is also the first I've heard of any incompatibility, so I think you just have a dud 

I borrowed an older audio root battery from my collegue. It charges in the rrc charger. Took back the Audioroot neo to my dealer and I will hear back from them on Monday. Initially it looks as it charged in their audioroot charger, so if that is the case - I am leaning towards that the battery needs a propriety charger which is a bit ridiculous.

At first I found the Audioroot Neos a bit quirky even in my audio root chargers, but they have settled down and charge well in my audio root chargers. now.  I think they are still hesitant in my Aaton purple chargers, even when only loading one. Will check again when back to work Monday. 

5 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

At first I found the Audioroot Neos a bit quirky even in my audio root chargers, but they have settled down and charge well in my audio root chargers. now.  I think they are still hesitant in my Aaton purple chargers, even when only loading one. Will check again when back to work Monday. 

Thanks you, it would be interesting. Wonder if Audioroot could update the firmware to get rid of this limitation. 

The shop have refunded my Neo, still curious if it was just that 1 battery (they were hesitant to let me try charge another battery with my charger), if anyone have experience the neos in a non audio root charger, it would be interesting to know more.

Using some extra RRC and "older" Audioroot smart batteries from a collegue to cover the current shoot. It's a little bit cheaper to order RRC, so I might end up doing that, but since the price is not that different (especially with delivery) with the Neos, I thought it was worth to support the local shop.