Good replacement ear pads for 7506? Wicked Cushion? Other?

Jim Feeley

I have a few pairs of 7506 headphones that need new pads. No, they don't just need Headphone Softies; they have those. But the foam pads are breaking (ok, have broken) down.

What do you all recommend? Genuine Sony replacements? Wicked Cushion? Some generic thing from B&H or elsewhere?

https://wickedcushions.com/collections/sony-mdr-7506-replacement-ear-pads

Thanks,

Jim

13 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Hi Jim, happy holiday!

I use the Beyer ones. The velour is so much more comfortable than slick vinyl. They fit 7506 Sony, my HFI-680 Ultrasones, and even Remote Audio HN cans.

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/dt250-velour-pads

Velour - I'll have to give that a try.

Jim - Information you didn't ask for - The reason the Sony pads feel good and wear out is that outer layer is micro-thin. I don't know what it is, but its almost like they painted the foam.

If you look at the Sony pads, you see those wrinkles in the pad. You need the wrinkles. It indicates the outer layer is very thin. I don't see wrinkles in the Wicked Cushions. I've tried a few different brands and the only thing that worked pretty well other than Sony was a cheap knock-off from Ali Express that had the wrinkles. They are about 95% as good as the Sony.  I don't have a link handy.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:07 PM, Jim Feeley said:

I have a few pairs of 7506 headphones that need new pads. No, they don't just need Headphone Softies; they have those. But the foam pads are breaking (ok, have broken) down.

What do you all recommend? Genuine Sony replacements? Wicked Cushion? Some generic thing from B&H or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Jim

I have bought round 2 of the Wicked Cushion pads. The are great. Comfy and durable. 

Check the internet for discount coupons.

The only reason it's round 2, is I drug a pair of 7506's on the ground behind a golf cart for 600 feet. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Thanks,

Jim

No experience with the Wickeds, but the Beyers are just wonderful.  They don’t seem to age.

I've gone with the beyer dynamic DT250 headphone pads. I have even put them in the (front load) washing machine in a delicates bag. This can also be done by hand. They don't last forever, but I believe it's from trying to get them on and off the headphones for washing rather than the washing itself. 

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is old, but I visited today looking for replacement earpad advice for my Sony 7506 headphones.  I've just purchased my 5th pair.  Two pair died after 10-15 years (in each case, one of the drivers).  I've long ago found that Auray Genuine Sheepskin Leather Earpads fit perfectly and provide a more isolated sound which I prefer.

The Aurays have just one shortcoming.  The backside piece that stretches over the phone is not leather (see the standard advertising photo) and some coating flakes off after a number of years—maybe 10—of use.  It still holds well, but the appearance is a concern.

I see another company, Brainwavz, is also selling sheepskin earpads, but I don't see them mentioned here.  I found one reviewer elsewhere saying they are a little fat and don't fit as well.  I suppose I'll buy some new Aurays.  I'm sure they will last till I retire.

59 minutes ago, Bob K said:

I realize this thread is old, but I visited today looking for replacement earpad advice for my Sony 7506 headphones.  I've just purchased my 5th pair.  Two pair died after 10-15 years (in each case, one of the drivers).  I've long ago found that Auray Genuine Sheepskin Leather Earpads fit perfectly and provide a more isolated sound which I prefer.

The Aurays have just one shortcoming.  The backside piece that stretches over the phone is not leather (see the standard advertising photo) and some coating flakes off after a number of years—maybe 10—of use.  It still holds well, but the appearance is a concern.

I see another company, Brainwavz, is also selling sheepskin earpads, but I don't see them mentioned here.  I found one reviewer elsewhere saying they are a little fat and don't fit as well.  I suppose I'll buy some new Aurays.  I'm sure they will last till I retire.

Order these, Sweetwater 7506 replacement pads and you will get a call from Gabe at sweet water twice a year for life!