Anyone boom with ear buds?

redindahed

Toward the end of my relatively short booming career I boomed with earbuds.  But I never showed up on the first day wearing them, either on a new show or working for a mixer I had never worked for before.  People expect to see the 7506s, I think, but as soon as you establish you know what you are doing, then it no longer matters.

My regular boom operator uses earbuds or the 7506s.  He has some nice ones.  Not sure of the model, but they aren't the in ear monitors.  It makes me nervous to have something shoved in the ear with no "air" for loud noises to escape.  I also find it useful, as a boom operator, to hear your surroundings a little as well as the feed from the mixer.

Robert

I've done it from time to time. They're nice for when its exceptionally hot since the 7506s are incredibly uncomfortable once you start sweating. There are some big drawbacks though. The big one is fatigue. Your ears fatigue from having sound going straight into your ear like that but the bigger problem is physical fatigue. My ears felt numb and painful after having something stuck in them constantly. I think a set that was molded to my ears my work better in that regard.

The other thing is that they can isolate a little too well. This isn't a problem for everyone but I like to at least be able to have some sense of my immediate surroundings with my headphones on.

• 2 weeks later...

They're nice for when its exceptionally hot since the 7506s are incredibly uncomfortable once you start sweating.

I find the <b>Garfield Headphone Softies</b> relieve this problem very well. I've done 12-hour days in the summer in LA, in 95+ degree temperatures, and it made the 7506's tolerable.

One can argue that no cloth material is 100% acoustically transparent, but if the Softies affect the sound, I think all it does is knock the "peakiness" down a tiny bit, which is a good thing for the 7506's. Both my boom op and I liked them a lot.

Strictly my opinion.

--Marc W.