Waow, this is Huge !

henrimic

I wonder if SD is going to also come out with a "20" series receiver, perhaps 4 channel (hint is the A20s transmitter has an option for an 8 transmitter charger which would work nicely with 8 A20's and perhaps a pair of A20-RX 4 channel receivers X2 in the SL-2)?

8 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Anyone know if it records and transmits at the same time?

It does but the US version has the feature disabled. It has 64gb built in recording memory.

28 minutes ago, zernicke said:

I wonder if SD is going to also come out with a "20" series receiver, perhaps 4 channel (hint is the A20s transmitter has an option for an 8 transmitter charger which would work nicely with 8 A20's and perhaps a pair of A20-RX 4 channel receivers X2 in the SL-2)?

There is an 8 way charger for these new mini transmitters as well as USB C timecode cables available.

3 minutes ago, codyman said:

Slick little unit and cool it pairs well with the Sound Devices kits.  Interesting that it is priced $200/unit above Zaxcom's ZMT4 though.

Can't 100% verify yet but looking at UK prices online for the Zaxcom ZMT4 I believe the A20 might be on par if not a little cheaper.

One thing to note is that you won't need any other transmitters or receivers on different frequencies as the A20 covers all across the the A10 receiver. 

2 minutes ago, codyman said:

USA pricing according to Gotham's email.

image.png

Yeah Im assuming this is based off an already discounted price for the Zaxcom. The list price of the A20 is pretty close to a UK listing of the Zaxcom(not sure if this is listed at list price or discounted on this side). That's all I can say for now.

Edited by NathanWBS

39 minutes ago, Derek H said:

2:50 continuous transmit runtime at 40mW… 3hrs if you use lithium AAAs 

that’s way too short for set life. You can’t wait for the battery to die but need to change when still safe AND in an appropriate moment to approach the actor. So it’s 2:30 at max which means up to 3 batteries until lunch break. Not cool.

2 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

that’s way too short for set life. You can’t wait for the battery to die but need to change when still safe AND in an appropriate moment to approach the actor. So it’s 2:30 at max which means up to 3 batteries until lunch break. Not cool.

Yeah where did you find the figures on this?  Lectro DBSM single AA NiMH at 50mw digital transmission gets 4h20m runtime on that single AA.  Doesn't have all the bluetooth connectivity to remote things to it it but that is a almost twice the runtime on a 1/3rd the amount of batteries.

4 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Anyone know if it records and transmits at the same time?

Yep, with the European version, like the a-10

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

2:50 continuous transmit runtime at 40mW… 3hrs if you use lithium AAAs 

... deal breaker for me. Damn, I searched and didn't find any answer; I would have expected something like 6 hours without recording, 4 hours transmitting+recording. Or so.

47 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

I'm not a fan of how much you have to rely on phone/tablet devices and their apps to configure these.

+1, they should develop an independant unit (think of a remote) to bypass phones and tablets. Since I saw how things turned out with the 788 CL-Wifi development and updates I've had my lesson. 

Looked quite exciting until I also figured out the runtime and that the charger which you need to sync them all at once runs for over a grand, when it is app based - is there any reason to not have them all sync via bluetooth?

I have synced up to 12 Tentacles over bluetooth. Sure, it takes a minute or so, but saves the hastle to jam many units physically.

Any way to auto coordinate? Maybe via an 8 series recorder?

So close, yet so far from being perfect.

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if Sennheiser will expand their EW-D digital series to include a portable receiver?  You can get a mic pack + receiver that is roughly the A1 wideband of frequencies, has bluetooth remote control and setup, but for $599 (that's transmitter + receiver).  Right now you'd have to use it in a rack on your cart but you can have 8 channels of digital wireless with remote control abilities for well under $10k.  Battery life is 8+ hours too on two AA's, even with the bluetooth connectivity.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/reviews/review-fender-jason-isbell-custom-telecaster/

44 minutes ago, codyman said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if Sennheiser will expand their EW-D digital series to include a portable receiver?  You can get a mic pack + receiver that is roughly the A1 wideband of frequencies, has bluetooth remote control and setup, but for $599 (that's transmitter + receiver).  Right now you'd have to use it in a rack on your cart but you can have 8 channels of digital wireless with remote control abilities for well under $10k.  Battery life is 8+ hours too on two AA's, even with the bluetooth connectivity.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/reviews/review-fender-jason-isbell-custom-telecaster/

For sure, it seems like a somewhat hard sell. Battery life with 10mw seems to be 4.5hrs according to paul on FB, estimating that if it is off 50% of the time manually, it will be 8.5 hours. But they need to compete with ZMT4 that has 6 hour runtime and powerroll. Or if recording is put to the side, it needs to compete with Shure (with remote capabilities) and to some extent Lectro/Wisy (Symphony TX with remote capabilities is bound to come at some point).

The Sennheiser EW-D is quite interesting, but also just almoust there imo, I dont see as a competition at this level of wireless even if it uses a similair gain structure as shure and is completely app driven. Think it has autocoordinate, but no remote changes of frequencies without touching the TX is a bit of missed oppertunity on that one, and the range doesnt seem that impressive from the demos.

Full wideband is sweet tho