Waow, this is Huge !

henrimic

The walk test is quite impressive, but this is at maximum power and takes the runtime down to less than 3 hours. How will it perform on lower power?

Also, if remote powering off and on between takes (or, at least, between setups) will be a thing, will we have to power each transmitter separately or will there be a group power on setting?

There is simply not *the* one perfect transmitter, it will still take some years until we see a transmitter in this size class with 40-50mW power, remote control, recording and a battery for the whole day.

But if the A20 gets a decent range in real-world conditions at 20mW and the powering on/off is practical, I guess it may last long enough.

I really like the form factor, might be even easier to conceal than a Lectro SSM. But how sturdy is the plastic? There is a reason many devices still use metal housings.

10 hours ago, Derek H said:

I read it in the user manual for the unit.  None of the press releases mentioned runtime so I figured it must be abysmal. 

In the manual, I see runtimes when both transmitting and recording , but not while the unit is simply transmitting wothout recording... ?

Mattias the ZMT4 runtime is 7 hours minimum at full 50mW power. It was 6 but we picked up some efficient with some hardware changes. We have had customers reporting 7.5 hours on a regular basis.  This of course generates very little heat output due to the extreme efficiency. This is more important for us than others as the ZMT4 is roughly half the size of most other digital transmitter. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, codyman said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if Sennheiser will expand their EW-D digital series to include a portable receiver?  You can get a mic pack + receiver that is roughly the A1 wideband of frequencies, has bluetooth remote control and setup, but for $599 (that's transmitter + receiver).  Right now you'd have to use it in a rack on your cart but you can have 8 channels of digital wireless with remote control abilities for well under $10k.  Battery life is 8+ hours too on two AA's, even with the bluetooth connectivity.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/reviews/review-fender-jason-isbell-custom-telecaster/

Maybe EK6042 can do this - nope (but why not?)! Would also be great to have 4+ RX in a box the size of their EW-D rack unit (like the lectro DSQD).

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Maybe EK6042 can do this. Would also be great to have 4+ RX in a box the size of their EW-D rack unit (like the lectro DSQD).

Yeah it seems this is going after the installed rack church and music crowd but on the lower end vs the digital 6000/9000 high end touring segment.  More for rock n roll hymns in a rented community center than Gaga arena tour.

Quite predictable that a Mini TX was announced! That was the biggest complaint about the A10 wireless (with #2 being some complaints about their range with whips). 
The only surprise is that it took so long? Perhaps the acquisition slowed down development due to the transition period. 

22 hours ago, zernicke said:

I wonder if SD is going to also come out with a "20" series receiver, perhaps 4 channel (hint is the A20s transmitter has an option for an 8 transmitter charger which would work nicely with 8 A20's and perhaps a pair of A20-RX 4 channel receivers X2 in the SL-2)?

Yes, I'd also strongly suspect an A20-RX is coming? ("when" is any guess! Been slow development lately from Audio Ltd, but perhaps things are now smoothed out and underway and we can expect a flurry of announcements? Fingers crossed) But it would have to be a quad receiver to tempt me, otherwise I feel that Shure Axient Digital is seeming more attractive right now. 

21 hours ago, codyman said:

Slick little unit and cool it pairs well with the Sound Devices kits.  Interesting that it is priced $200/unit above Zaxcom's ZMT4 though.

Nearly half a grand more expensive than the Lectrosonics DBSMD. 
However, it is three hundred dollars cheaper than the Shure Axient Digital ADX1M. 

18 hours ago, codyman said:

Yeah where did you find the figures on this?  Lectro DBSM single AA NiMH at 50mw digital transmission gets 4h20m runtime on that single AA.  Doesn't have all the bluetooth connectivity to remote things to it it but that is a almost twice the runtime on a 1/3rd the amount of batteries.

Not a third. As the A20-Mini uses 3x AAA batteries. And an AAA is smaller capacity than an AA.

17 hours ago, ProSound said:

Only thing huge about this is price the run time and AAA choice make it a non starter for me to even consider 

That's my feeling too, the run time is a deal breaker. (then the smaller minor issues like yet another new battery type, is just mere icing on the cake)
Not unless that remote sleeping capability to save battery life can be totally automated (thus each time I put my 833 into stop/record, it would do the same for the A20-Mini. That would be good for scripted drama where you spend more time waiting around than you spend rolling. You'd be able to squeak out the battery life until lunch time. No good for reality tv or docos though where you spend much longer stretches rolling all the time).

This A20-Mini announcement is perfect for people already in the A10 system, they've got now a TX to help solve tricky costume problems. Makes sense for them to pick up one or two A20-Mini. I'd love this announcement if I was in their shoes!

For the rest of us? It's tough to see the argument to transition over to a new system with what's on offer. 

Maybe the A20-RX (if a quad receiver) and A20-TX (if it is only a little bigger than an A20-Mini while still being a bit smaller than the old bulky A10-TX, yet somehow gives us a lot more battery life than an A20-Mini???) will both together build up a stronger case to switch over to Audio Ltd wireless? Time will tell, am interested to see what Sound Devices / Audio Ltd will release next.

18 hours ago, BAB414 said:

I'm not a fan of how much you have to rely on phone/tablet devices and their apps to configure these.

No buttons, switches, or LCD display on the unit itself to set up with!
I think that everyone who uses the A20-Micro will have to bring to set an iPod Touch (or similar), not just for an emergency when your phone goes flat, but even worse... if your phone (or the app) randomly updates and reveals some new incompatibility! (thus the iPod Touch at hand, which you will always keep offline, so you don't get any unwanted random software updates) 

16 hours ago, codyman said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if Sennheiser will expand their EW-D digital series to include a portable receiver?  You can get a mic pack + receiver that is roughly the A1 wideband of frequencies, has bluetooth remote control and setup, but for $599 (that's transmitter + receiver).  Right now you'd have to use it in a rack on your cart but you can have 8 channels of digital wireless with remote control abilities for well under $10k.  Battery life is 8+ hours too on two AA's, even with the bluetooth connectivity.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/reviews/review-fender-jason-isbell-custom-telecaster/

I bet they will! Eventually. 
Probably a bodypack style receiver, just like their existing analogue prosumer G4 wireless.

Shure should beat them to the punch and bring out a Shure SLXD5 bodypack receiver.  They'll grab a huge chunk of the prosumer market.

2 hours ago, glenn said:

Mattias the ZMT4 runtime is 7 hours minimum at full 50mW power. It was 6 but we picked up some efficient with some hardware changes. We have had customers reporting 7.5 hours on a regular basis.  This of course generates very little heat output due to the extreme efficiency. This is more important for us than others as the ZMT4 is roughly half the size of most other digital transmitter. 

Okey, even better! I remember you posted about 6 hour runtime on FB. Looking at gotham they report 4.5 hours runtime on 50mw, might want to revisit the advertised runtime for your suppliers. In any case, as A20 just came out this year, it needs to compete with ZMT4 and Axient, probably soon Wisy as well. To be fair, if someone is already invested in a 8-series recorder, getting Zaxnet and remote gain on the ZMT requires a bit more tinkering than just slot in an A10RX with A20TX.

I’m going to echo some folks here in saying that anything that requires an app to run it in the field is a no go. And anyone here that’s been in the business for more than a few years will tell you that when you’re in the field, things need to operate on their own. Apps are great and can make things easier, but are entirely unreliable. Cl-wifi was a great addition to the 788T, but at some point it was nearly impossibly to keep connected because of all the 2.4ghz stuff that other departments were bringing on set, and even though I kept a dedicated iPad for it set to not auto update anything, the damn thing somehow updated itself anyways and then the app was no longer supported. So that feature became entirely useless, and SDs complete refusal to continue to support CL-WiFi’s app or hardware was the writing on the wall that they were basically going to use their hand to push people along to newer products years before discontinuing the 788T. So the lesson here is that with that piece of equipment, it is still a very good machine that operates at 100% without an app, making it still completely useful after its being discontinued, and there are still many people who continue to use it as their primary machine, despite the app no longer being supported. When your devices have literally no way to manually interface with them, how reliable are they going to be today while they are supported, or tomorrow when a new product comes out. Frankly, at the price point we’re looking at, it seems like a bit of a gamble to me. That, along with non removable memory (finite read/write times), the choice of AAA batteries, and proprietary remote control from in house recorders (consider those who use other machines), makes this a hot no from my standpoint. Personal choice of course, but I feel like I should express my concerns here for people who have not yet had the experience of equipment longevity being cut down by controlled obsolescence. Not to mention the fact that people somehow manage to get to set in the morning with their phones needing a charge already and without a charger, I can imagine how many times productions are going to SOL because their sound department isn’t responsible enough to show up with a fully charged phone lol. 

54 minutes ago, JonG said:

I’m going to echo some folks here in saying that anything that requires an app to run it in the field is a no go. And anyone here that’s been in the business for more than a few years will tell you that when you’re in the field, things need to operate on their own. Apps are great and can make things easier, but are entirely unreliable. Cl-wifi was a great addition to the 788T, but at some point it was nearly impossibly to keep connected because of all the 2.4ghz stuff that other departments were bringing on set, and even though I kept a dedicated iPad for it set to not auto update anything, the damn thing somehow updated itself anyways and then the app was no longer supported. So that feature became entirely useless, and SDs complete refusal to continue to support CL-WiFi’s app or hardware was the writing on the wall that they were basically going to use their hand to push people along to newer products years before discontinuing the 788T. So the lesson here is that with that piece of equipment, it is still a very good machine that operates at 100% without an app, making it still completely useful after its being discontinued, and there are still many people who continue to use it as their primary machine, despite the app no longer being supported. When your devices have literally no way to manually interface with them, how reliable are they going to be today while they are supported, or tomorrow when a new product comes out. Frankly, at the price point we’re looking at, it seems like a bit of a gamble to me. That, along with non removable memory (finite read/write times), the choice of AAA batteries, and proprietary remote control from in house recorders (consider those who use other machines), makes this a hot no from my standpoint. Personal choice of course, but I feel like I should express my concerns here for people who have not yet had the experience of equipment longevity being cut down by controlled obsolescence. Not to mention the fact that people somehow manage to get to set in the morning with their phones needing a charge already and without a charger, I can imagine how many times productions are going to SOL because their sound department isn’t responsible enough to show up with a fully charged phone lol. 

Well put. I'm still sore from them refusing the address the last few bugs on the 6 series. I just live with them. The CL-wifi (and how they basically let it die) is a great example of why I'm staying away from their app-reliant products. The fact that the new transmitter requires an app to be configured is mind-boggling to me.

51 minutes ago, JonG said:

I’m going to echo some folks here in saying that anything that requires an app to run it in the field is a no go. And anyone here that’s been in the business for more than a few years will tell you that when you’re in the field, things need to operate on their own. Apps are great and can make things easier, but are entirely unreliable.

+1

I often work in small ENG crews and struggle a lot with GoPro-Apps, DJI drone apps, DJI gimbal Apps, Sony camera apps, Sony DSLR apps, Audio-over-IP-apps ... and more. If they work, they work well on rehearsal and not when shooting, not in crowded situations, not outside, not inside, not in a car. They cry out for updates when there's absolutely no time for it. Most of the time the Apple apps work better than the Android ones but sometimes vice versa ...

Another disadvantage is that with one mobile device you can't monitor all these devices at the same time. Switching takes a long time, sometimes requiring a restart of the app or reconnecting.

And yes, I also use Wingman (664) and SD Remote (833) and yes, they both sometimes hang up too.

3 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Okey, even better! I remember you posted about 6 hour runtime on FB. Looking at gotham they report 4.5 hours runtime on 50mw, might want to revisit the advertised runtime for your suppliers.

That figure is based upon supplying voltage for a 48v microphone.

From Gotham Sound:

"4.5 hour run time (w/ 48V phantom power at 50 mW w/o PowerRoll)"

Using a lav, the ZMT4 was originally designed to give 6+ hours but has since been improved beyond that.

Still waiting for someone to beat the original Lectro SM… they nailed it with that one. 

All core functionality completely solid… range, size, durability, ease of use, battery life. Total professional piece of gear. 

Even Lectro can’t beat it. 

Seems like everyone is designing new products to impress with bonus features but fail when it comes to meeting the core functionality of the previous generation. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not unless that remote sleeping capability to save battery life can be totally automated

you’re describing Zaxcom’s power roll feature to a T. 

14 hours ago, Derek H said:

Still waiting for someone to beat the original Lectro SM… they nailed it with that one. 

All core functionality completely solid… range, size, durability, ease of use, battery life. Total professional piece of gear. 

Even Lectro can’t beat it. 

Seems like everyone is designing new products to impress with bonus features but fail when it comes to meeting the core functionality of the previous generation. 

I personally think lectro did beat it with the ssm. The sm was awesome at the time but the aa lithiums were expensive and the heat was a little too warm on people at times. But in a sea of large packs the introduction of the sm was incredible for the times, and they improved on it well thru the years. After a while, The rechargeable options were great, but didnt last long - half the time at best and caused more heat it seemed. I thought the ssm was a great upgrade. But that zmt4…it is serving my needs perfect. this world of micro transmitters as a whole is the place to be. They all keep getting better with time. I think this A20 will find its place. Seems like a cool piece!

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Yup, and the same for the A20-Mini could be a game changer in terms of making the transmitter battery life unbearable or "workable". 

Hopefully Zaxcom hasn't patented this....

The ZMT4 has been updated since it’s initial release and now lasts 7 hours with a Lav and 5 hours running a 48V mic. This time is increased with Power Roll a patented feature.  I like to think of it as a no compromise transmitter that can go through the entire day with only 1 battery change at lunch.  These run times are at a full 50mW power level, recording, Transmitting and receiving Zaxnet all at the same time.. Because of the efficiency heat output is almost undetectable under normal usage. ZMT4 is also about half the size of most digital transmitters. 

1 hour ago, osa said:

I personally think lectro did beat it with the ssm. The sm was awesome at the time but the aa lithiums were expensive and the heat was burning people at times.

Still love the SM series, they are workhorses.  But yes, I have a couple mothballed SMQa (dual battery, locked at 250mw, ~4 hour runtime on two NiMH AA) and on a slightly warm LA day, good gravy those suckers would attempt to make their mark literally on talent.  My later SM's that I use at 50/100mw don't have these issues though. 

+1 for small transmitter. That is the missing line from Audio Limited - Sound Devices digital wireless.

-1 for controling only via application and no display.

- Neutral about battery runtime, no big deal for me (not only for A-20 mini or MTP41S or ZMT4).

- A-20 series receiver is on the design board if I can understand correctly.

- No word for fin antenna so far from SD. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...