Zaxcom Aria

AnuarYahya

What are peoples thoughts on the new control surface?

I think it looks amazing and is a great successor to the mix 8. I do hope that the trim pots can be fully routable as faders or zaxnet trims tho, that way you can have 16 faders in a super tiny control surface. I have gotten used to mixing 12 tracks from the bag with my nomad 12 + fp8 combo so mixing with rotary faders is not a problem for me. I love how flexible and simple the fp8 is so I hope that carries on into the Aria. Either way I am very intrigued. Love the rugged design and maintenance free faders, also the zax hub integration and nomad compatibility. Great job zaxcom! 

Looks great! Think the only issue I have seen people have so far is the price point which was not set in stone, but a notch higher than any competitor.

On my control surface I have coloured caps that I move around as needed, it looks as that might be hard to achieve here. Maybe there could be some thin layer coloured rubber or something to adress that?

Am I missing something? The sealed faders reminds me of cantar where swapping fader caps seems easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice unit but IMMO is a wrong move.

I venture to say that everyone expected a MIX8 II, small, like the SX-LC8 + from Sonosax and even a price similar to that of Sonosax (1400), something with 8 faders + 8 trims, pfl and basic transport (REC + STOP). But they have produced something very cool but at an exorbitant price, which with the addons is more expensive than an Oasis, and IMMO the Oasis give more.

I don't understand that move

Best

1 hour ago, ramallo said:

I venture to say that everyone expected a MIX8 II, small, like the SX-LC8 + from Sonosax and even a price similar to that of Sonosax (1400)

I am wiling to agree with you about the price (though many have expressed that it is properly priced considering the features, functions and build quality) but I cannot agree with you about the size. Have you actually picked one up and tried it yourself? It is quite compact and slim, can easily be put in the front pouch of a bag. I personally would not want it to be any smaller. Comparing it to Oasis doesn't make any sense (particularly if you're concerned about size  --- Oasis is just about a full sized mixing console). Also, I may be wrong on this, but can't Oasis work with Nova?

4 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I am wiling to agree with you about the price (though many have expressed that it is properly priced considering the features, functions and build quality) but I cannot agree with you about the size. Have you actually picked one up and tried it yourself? It is quite compact and slim, can easily be put in the front pouch of a bag. I personally would not want it to be any smaller. Comparing it to Oasis doesn't make any sense (particularly if you're concerned about size  --- Oasis is just about a full sized mixing console). Also, I may be wrong on this, but can't Oasis work with Nova?

The Oasis work with the NoVa perfectly (I have both)

I did not mean exactly that the Aria had a large size, it seems small, I meant that people expected a Mix8 II, something like the Sonosax, small size and price. Maybe I explained it wrong.

Probably if they had taken an inexpensive and small surface, I would buy it to carry a very small setup with the NoVa, at that price I am comfortable with the Oasis.

Best Regards

I think you will find the ARIA is in its own new category of location sound mixer. Going from bag to cart with 8,12 or 16 faders with the elimination of resistive faders that are not designed for location use sets a new standard for our industry. ARIA is more than a mix surface with keyboard interface and USB port for the GUI interface.  Power consumption is very location friendly at .15 amp.  We will start delivering soon. 

This looks pretty cool and ticks a lot of boxes. If I were a Zaxcom user I would strongly consider this. 

On 7/22/2021 at 12:06 AM, Mattias Larsen said:

The sealed faders reminds me of cantar where swapping fader caps seems easy

yes, but here they are basically a part of the enclosure and cannot be removed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Midas board (and all others similar in the music world) are mass produced items from large companies, expecting to sell thousands of units every year to a very large, diverse market. The Aria is not that sort of product. If Zaxcom sells an Aria to every single  person in the world who wants one, it will still  be a very small number, limited by our relatively small market overall. Even if they sold  an Aria to every Production Sound Mixer in the world  it would be a very small number. If the Midas board suits you and the way you want to work, go for it  ---  you'll save a lot of money. If, however, you want an incredibly well designed unique fader  panel to use with your Zaxcom recorder, it is going to cost what it costs.

I don't see the comparison at all.  An M32 (for example) is a large, fairly heavy, AC powered mixing console designed specifically for the low-end FOH market.  It sounds pretty good, and many PSMs have done the considerable work on their rigs needed to make them work on location.   The Aria is a targeted accessory for a specific group of very high end portable recorders that solve a number of size, weight and powering issues for professionals doing a very specific kind of work under terrific pressure and in every possible sort of weather etc situation.  If you are in the Zax ecosystem already it seems like a no brainer.