Zaxcom ZMT4 and DPA 4061/6061

Trey LaCroix

Just got some ZMT 4s and have been trying them with all my mics. Despite the new transmitters all operating at 5v instead of 3v I’m still getting the

excess noise and “generally off” sound with my DPA 4061 and 6061s as I remember when using them with the older 3v transmitters. Anyone using them successfully?

On 7/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, Trey LaCroix said:

Just got some ZMT 4s and have been trying them with all my mics. Despite the new transmitters all operating at 5v instead of 3v I’m still getting the excess noise and “generally off” sound with my DPA 4061 and 6061s as I remember when using them with the older 3v transmitters. Anyone using them successfully?

I haven't tested the low-sensitivity DPA 4061 or 6061 with the ZMT4 yet, but I have noticed a couple of the lavs I've tested seem to have a little more noise at 5 volts on the ZMT4 versus using them on a ZMT3. Most of the daily driver lav brands/models that I use sound great with the ZMT4.

I wonder if it would be possible for a ZMT4 firmware update to include a 3 or 3.3 volt option for mic power, instead of just the 5 volt minimum option.

Perhaps Glenn or Howy can let us know if this is even possible given the current hardware/firmware design of the ZMT4.

There are 3 impeadace settings in the audio menu. 10K is default. 2.5K will be the lowest noise setting with a bit of low frequency roll off. 6061 will have a 10 dB higher noise floor than the 6060. For the lowest noise from the mic the 6060 is the best choice for our or anyone’s wireless. All lav mics have self noise as the dynamic range of the mic is limited to about 106 dB. Without companders  or noise reduction software you eventually will hear it if you are in a quiet enough environment.