Audio Bleeding - Timecode Systems Ultrasync One Splitter Cable

Sound

I ordered some Y-splitter cables from timecode systems some time ago to connect my Ultrasync One LTC Timecode unit and a Microphone to a camera via stereo minijack port.

Unfortunately there is huge audio bleeding in frome the USO to the mic track, so I can hear the timecode unit und the mic as well.

Much quieter but when you have to push the volume a little you can hear it clearly.

Does anyone have the same problem with these cables??

Heres a sample of the aplified right track.

Audiobleeding Ultrasync One to Sony a7 III right mic track.mp3

Eeh, this is a mono mix.
Keep the LTC volume low, -25 should be no issue at all.
(In 24 bits even lower.)
Get my LTC convert app (the free demo will do just fine) and do some test recordings to see how low you can go.
LTC does not care about volume. Very low should still work.
Test, make attenuation cables (resistors) if needed.

I am afraid its not. Its just the right channel. LTC is on the left.

The problem is, I cannot go below "mic level" in the output settings of the USO.

I guess I have to build my own cable to get it right.

The two splitter cables I bought for 70 Euros each simply do not work.

22 minutes ago, Sound said:

I am afraid its not. Its just the right channel. LTC is on the left.

The problem is, I cannot go below "mic level" in the output settings of the USO.

I guess I have to build my own cable to get it right.

The two splitter cables I bought for 70 Euros each simply do not work.

The file you uploaded is two channel mono. I split the channels, phase reversed one side, and it's almost 100% nulled on playback (the ticks could be from mp3 compression artifacts). I've attached a file so you can check for yourself.

Have you tried the cables on another device or camera?

USO_null.wav

1 hour ago, Bouke said:

Y split takes one input, two outputs.
No clue what you are trying to do then.

Technically he is not splitting the signal, he is merging two separate signals into one stereo connector

5 hours ago, Sound said:

I guess I have to build my own cable to get it right

I doubt it‘ll be much better with your own cable. The bleed is likely to happen either in the stereo plug or the camers itself 

Yes. I would not conclude it is the cable. The cable (TCB-53) is specifically made for the application you are describing. It looks like it's properly made, using separate cables until the 3.5mm connector.  I'd look elsewhere as suggested by the other posters.

19 hours ago, Constantin said:

Technically he is not splitting the signal, he is merging two separate signals into one stereo connector

I doubt it‘ll be much better with your own cable. The bleed is likely to happen either in the stereo plug or the camers itself 

Exactly, sorry for the confusion.

19 hours ago, Paul F said:

Yes. I would not conclude it is the cable. The cable (TCB-53) is specifically made for the application you are describing. It looks like it's properly made, using separate cables until the 3.5mm connector.  I'd look elsewhere as suggested by the other posters.

You are right, its the TCB-53 cable.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, Allen Rowand said:

The file you uploaded is two channel mono. I split the channels, phase reversed one side, and it's almost 100% nulled on playback (the ticks could be from mp3 compression artifacts). I've attached a file so you can check for yourself.

Have you tried t

Its not the original stereo file, its one track set to mono to protect your ears as the level is quite loud.

I tried it on a zoom h1 as well, its exactly the same problem.

I guess I need an attenuator so I can go lower than "mic-level" on the USO output or a lower level on the USO via firmware update.

I just tried to playback the recorded LTC track from my laptop to the zoom h1 using a stereo cable, the track was panned to the left.

There still is audio bleeding when the gain is set so high that the level is distorting on the timecode track.

But it seems way better than using the cable on the USO.

USO Splitter Cable to Zoom H1.mp3

LTC Playback Laptop to H1 through Stereo-Cable H1.mp3

Why don't you share the original recording as stereo?

I don't listen to it. I open it in an editor and I bet something pretty that the first thing I see is that your LTC channel is WAY TOO LOUD.

1 hour ago, Sound said:

to protect your ears as the level is quite loud.

This is your problem. Again, LTC does not need 'volume'.

Saying that the volume of the LTC is 'quite loud' indicates you have the output of the Ultrasync set incorrectly. Check/set the output level of your Ultrasync One - https://support.timecodesystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000774372-Set-the-LTC-Output-Level-UltraSync-ONE

[edit] - nevermind. I see you already have it set to the lowest level. Still, that leaves one wondering why it sounds so loud. Maybe double check the setting?

It’s just a levels Test. I varied the input level from 100 percent at the start to almost minimum level at the end to see if it affects audio bleeding. And it seems much less affected with the stereo cable. Still, Even mic level is way too much for any stereo input.

I have the same thing with a splitter-cable from Tentacle Sync, when you use Audio-TC on one channel and the camera audio as scratch sound on the other stereo channel. But as it is scratch sound it really doesn't matter if there's a little bleeding from the audio tc. I think it will probably happen with most unbalanced y-type splitter cables.

Greetings

If cross talk would happen in a connector you all would be complaining about your headphones.
It's way more likely to happen inside the electronics.
I would not be surprised if the cams that suffer from this have automatic levels, and/or are fed with a way too high signal.

19 hours ago, Bouke said:

If cross talk would happen in a connector you all would be complaining about your headphones.
It's way more likely to happen inside the electronics.
I would not be surprised if the cams that suffer from this have automatic levels, and/or are fed with a way too high signal.

Headphones dont have to deal with a Timecode signal, that’s already very loud, even on the lowest setting. 
I would expect from an 80 dollar cable more than just scratch audio. 
i hope an inbuilt attenuator can help.