Sony vs Sennheiser wireing scemes for 3.5mm locking connector

DanieldH

Hi,

so, lavs (and microdot adaptors) with a 3.5mm locking connector are usually specified for Sony (UWP-, UTX series) or Sennheiser G2, G3, G4. The latter being widely used by other manufacturers, e.g. Deity, Tentacle and lots more

When I look for line in cables, they are sometimes advertised as compatible for both worlds.

What are the differences in these inputs?

I have a show coming up, where I'd like to feed some UTX-B3 with either my Sennheiser terminated lavs or the HP output of my Track Es (non US).

The Sennheiser SK100 body pack transmitter uses the "Tip" terminal for mic level. The 'Ring' terminal must be jumped to ground/shield. For -10dB line level, the 'Ring' terminal is 'Hot, and the 'Tip' is tied to ground/shield. A +4dB line feed can clip the input stage of the SK100 (regardless of the Tx 'Sensitivity' setting), so it should be attenuated some.. at the source or via a pad.

As I recall, the Sony TX uses the 'Ring' terminal for audio (hot) and the 'Tip' for Bias current. I am not positive about the Sony though. so maybe someone can elaborate. Line level operation is switched within the Tx. I do not know if the Sony can handle +4 line level w/o a pad.

In any case, a mic wired for a Sennheiser Tx will not work in a Sony Tx or visa-versa