Arri D21

jonathan chiles

I have a shoot coming up that may be with the Arri D21.

Never seen one of these and just wondering if some of you have experience with this beast and can mention any potential pitfalls?

From what I can see in the user manual (as I drift off to sleep here..) there are no TC or audio inputs/outputs on the camera body.. Is it usual to record to separate decks with these? I will only discuss this with production tomorrow but thought I'd tap the knowledge and experience here to hopefully prepare me for that.

Hope everyone had a god weekend:)

Jon Chiles

Jon,

You are correct, it usually records to the Sony SRW-1 Deck, via a cable loom. We are using the setup on my current shoot. The camera is completely quiet, the recorder deck has a noisy cooling fan, but it is sitting in video village, so not generally a problem. I  have the cart parked up next to it and feed a single mix track to the recorder track 1, which editorial have requested, as a guide. Main audio is on my DEVA, with dailies on DVD-RAM. We feed timecode to the deck from a Denecke SBT, but only the TC output, as we were told by ARRI not to feed it with Tri-Level. There is an analog composite video output from the camera, which comes down to my cart monitor via the loom. There is an option to fit a 'flashmag' to the camera and record independent of the deck, but I have no experience of using it.

There is an Input Delay Setting in the Audio menu, which we have set to +2F, to make the recorded audio  in sync with the picture.

There is a wired remote for the recorder which lives on the camera and that controls record levels etc.

The recorder has 12  Audio tracks, but only Inputs 1-4 are analog

Regards

Roger Slater AMPS

Malvern UK

I worked with the system a while back and they used a fiber optic link between the camera and deck.  The total delay was something like seven frames with the addition of the fiber optic connection in the chain.  IIRC, the deck could only compensate for up to five frames.  Fortunately, none of that was due to my department.

The shoot still went okay and there was little screaming.

John B.

So I did the cmmercial shoot with the D21:)

It was not uneventful!

The Video Assist provided a Behringer Shark to delay my audio to match with the delayed video from the camera. However the morning was a big rush and after trying the Shark and it not passing any audio I decided to ditch it from the loop.

I also had other Comtek feed related problems due to the fact that I fed the comtek transmitter from the Video Assist cart (if you sneazed near the video cart the connection would go bad) But thats another topic..

Apart from the slightly built DP trying to do handheld shots with the huge camera, smoke coming out of the on camera monitor, and the video assist having a system crash for the last setup, I'd say my problems were relatively small.

I fed the Sony SRW-1 HD deck with my mono mix into analogue input 1 from a Lectro 411 Receiver and also fed it 23.976TC and 1080P Video Sync from an Denecke SBT and all seems to be fine. The Sony deck did through up some kind of error code which I never got to the bottom of, the DIT told me there were over 100 error codes and he didnt have time to figure out if it was audio related or not.. he really didnt have time though.

Gotta love 1 day commercials!

Jon Chiles

Roger, I missed your post earlier and just read it now. Greetings from NY!

It seems that this D21 camera is growing in popularity slowly.. It seems we used similar setups, but you obviously have had more time to test the workflow. I'm interested what the problem might be with feeding the Sony deck Tri Level Sync from the SBT.. I should call Arri and as as they have been very helpful and knowledgable in the past or perhaps you have more info on your end?

Also I did not know about the delay setting in the SRW-1 menu. I wil look for that next time. My camera mix was also a scratch track/backup with primary audio on my SD788.

Best,

Jon Chiles