headphones!

bary555

ok. so i used the search, but didn't find a topic of which headphones do you all sound mixers use. for years i used classic 7506, but lately one side gave up. repaired them, but i'm thinking of getting something new. tried dt-770, sennheiser hd-25, hd-280pro and few more. didn't like them much... i'm leaning towards ATH-M50x. what do you guys use for everyday location recording?

Originally I had Sony 7509’s(a big part of it was I preferred the physical deign over the 7506)(still have one or two pair), then one of my guys turned me on to Ultrasone’s about eight years ago and the PRO 900’s* have been the ‘A’ set, ever since.

*I got them for about half of what they are selling for, now.

19 hours ago, RunAndGun said:

Originally I had Sony 7509’s(a big part of it was I preferred the physical deign over the 7506)(still have one or two pair), then one of my guys turned me on to Ultrasone’s about eight years ago and the PRO 900’s* have been the ‘A’ set, ever since.

*I got them for about half of what they are selling for, now.

looks nice, but these are pretty expensive

• 4 weeks later...

HD-25II's. Tough, comfortable ( with the velvet ear pads), stay on your head when you bend over thanks to the split dual band and their lightness, neat 90 deg socket works better with recorders in a bag than straight ones, sound good enough to hear what's being recorded although wouldn't use them for mixing / mastering in the studio.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, Attila said:

Also die listening to music

it‘s a bit of a strange comment in this topic, but I do indeed hope that once the time is here I will die listening to music. ;)

I love my Neumann NDH20‘s. Very solid build, and they feel solid on the head and they sound really good, especially the midrange. Good for long sessions, too. I also really like my HN-7506‘s for when I need more isolation, but I‘m not a huge fan of the sound of the 7506, so that‘s a drawback. 
Remote Audio should really make a HN-25…

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

Do you plug them straight into recorder?  Which one is that? I read they're 150 Ohms.

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

I love my Neumann NDH20‘s. Very solid build, and they feel solid on the head and they sound really good, especially the midrange. Good for long sessions, too.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:01 AM, Constantin said:

it‘s a bit of a strange comment in this topic, but I do indeed hope that once the time is here I will die listening to music. ;)

I love my Neumann NDH20‘s. Very solid build, and they feel solid on the head and they sound really good, especially the midrange. Good for long sessions, too. I also really like my HN-7506‘s for when I need more isolation, but I‘m not a huge fan of the sound of the 7506, so that‘s a drawback. 
Remote Audio should really make a HN-25…

Autocorrection can be a lot of fun!

• 2 months later...

I would like to bump this thread, i am currently collecting a sound gear and researching about headphones, im thinking to go with Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic brands.

I just need good headphones to clearly hear what i've recorded with balanced EQ. I usually record sounds to play with them on the post for sound effects and to establish atmosphere.

Any budget friendly mics you guys can recommend? (Im gonna use it with my Zoomh-8 or 6)

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Anuroop Kukreja said:

Hey Allen, any softie cover size for HD-26..

The PSC/Garfield Headphone Softies came in two sizes. Perhaps they still do. I use the "regular" softies on all my 7506 cans. I think the smaller size was designed for Sennheiser HD25 and HD26. A good location-audio dealer should still be able to get them.

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

The PSC/Garfield Headphone Softies came in two sizes. Perhaps they still do. I use the "regular" softies on all my 7506 cans. I think the smaller size was designed for Sennheiser HD25 and HD26. A good location-audio dealer should still be able to get them.

Confirmed, they are smalls.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:42 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Hey Jim.. We've got a few good audio equipment dealers here who can get it for me.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:13 PM, Allen Rowand said:

Confirmed, they are smalls.

Thanks Allen.