IDX NP-9X ?

Chris G

Anyone here have experience with these new IDX batteries?

https://idxtek.com/collections/battery/products/np-9x

I need to replace a couple of my NP1 batteries and noticed these newer IDX batteries are 96Wh rather than 68Wh for @ $40 more.

I'll probably go ahead and try one, but thought I'd ask since I didn't find any reviews here or elsewhere online.

Yeah, I picked up one of these. They obviously run longer than the NP-L7s. Another nice thing about them is that they have D-Tap - both for output, as well as for charging the battery. I would get more of these rather than the old tech  going forward. The capacity in 2x of these 96Wh would be close to 3x of the 68Wh. There's also some special deal right now if you buy 3x NP-9X, they give you a D-Tap charger for free.

I picked up two of these to supplement my LS7’s. So far they rock. Ive used the D tap to charge my IPad/ phone and TC boxes. I picked up a small D tap to USB on Amazon, just in case I don’t want to tap off my BDS USB power. I have yet to put them through a full day of my standard power hungry setup (664/8 SRB’s/ CL12 ) but I did run it for 12hrs running my 664 / 1 Srb and it was 75% at wrap! I also really like that they come with rubber covers for the power pins and that the old  JL2 charger works to charge them. 

On 8/25/2021 at 4:01 AM, EnotsMedia said:

and that the old  JL2 charger works to charge them. 

How old is your JL2 charger? There are two versions of the JL2Plus:

1) the newer is blue or dark grey with a plastic chassis

2) the older is light grey with a metal chassis (looks like a mini version of AL4 or KL4).

See photos below.

I’d love to know if charging is totally successful on the older one.

Thanks!

747D0EDE-7A6D-4CDF-BDDA-EF2F7304F4B6.jpeg

64E38BAF-087B-4C61-92D0-80333092FA4F.jpeg

8 hours ago, bcopenhagen said:

How old is your JL2 charger? There are two versions of the JL2Plus:

1) the newer is blue or dark grey with a plastic chassis

2) the older is light grey with a metal chassis (looks like a mini version of AL4 or KL4).

See photos below.

I’d love to know if charging is totally successful on the older one.

I use both chargers with the NP-L7S and not had any issues with either.

I have two of the JL2-Plus chargers (Blue) and they work great and this was a big selling point for me when upgrading my batteries to the NP-9X. I know “of” the older grey style IDX NP1 chargers but thought it was NiCad only, I do not know if it’s compatible. My assumption would be if it’s has “JL2-Plus”  on the chassis (Grey or Blue model) it should work. According to the note on IDX website…

https://idxtek.com/products/np-9x

“NP-9X is still compatible with all current accessories and chargers like the JL2-Plus”

but when in doubt give’m a shout! 

As Mr Blankenship said, the original JL-2+ is perfectly capable of charging the lithium chemistry NPs (I also use the metal-chassis version for my 68Wh batts). So it follows that the Np-9x can be charged on any version of the JL2-Plus.

I had actually called IDX before I posted, but I was hoping for real-world feedback on an older JL-2+. Coincidentally, so was IDX. They wanted to know how it goes if I tried to charge on the older JL because there was a concern that a timing circuit in the metal-chassis version would cut off charging before higher capacity of the NP-9X can be reached.

The update from today (from the headquarters in Japan) is that all versions of the JL-2+ should work, ie, no timing cutoff. Pretty important on the road

BUT … (“everybody has a big but”) …

some versions of the KL4 may have this “inconvenience”.  The NP-9X won’t reach full capacity in a single charge cycle. 

In THEORY (I’ll know in a couple days if it was actually tested at the mothership), the LED on the charger bank will blink when the timer cuts off charging before full capacity of the NP-9X is reached.  The battery needs to be removed and re-inserted to kick in another charging cycle. 

That would kinda be a dealbreaker for me if that were the case on my old JL-2Plus: if I was on the road, and had to re-plug the batteries in the middle of the night.  Though I also have the KL4, I usually use it in a “supervised” environment (on set or at home).

With a 2-week road job coming up, I think I’ll take the plunge. The 888/SL2 combo is real slick, but it’s definitely hungrier than a 633!

I received three NP-9X a few days ago. Charged them on my JL2+ with no problems. Used them for the first time today and was rather impressed with how much run time appears to remain after four hours of runtime. Was able to provide one for powering a cell phone at the end of the day while feeding video, dining and drinking on overtime.

I will consider picking up three more... just to get a second free DTap charger, if that is allowed.

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:03 AM, EnotsMedia said:

I have two of the JL2-Plus chargers (Blue) and they work great and this was a big selling point for me when upgrading my batteries to the NP-9X. I know “of” the older grey style IDX NP1 chargers but thought it was NiCad only, I do not know if it’s compatible. My assumption would be if it’s has “JL2-Plus”  on the chassis (Grey or Blue model) it should work. According to the note on IDX website…

https://idxtek.com/products/np-9x

“NP-9X is still compatible with all current accessories and chargers like the JL2-Plus”

but when in doubt give’m a shout! 

I have both the older grey and newer blue JL2 Plus chargers and 6 of the new NP9X batteries. 

I can confirm the older grey JL2 Plus chargers are compatible and fully charge the NP9X batteries as well as the newer blue JL2 Plus chargers. 

If it has JL2 Plus written on it, then it works. 
Cheers 

Anyone else think the Dtaps should be oriented 180deg on the NP9X? The standard male side exit doesn't allow for 2 plugs simultaneously. Maybe by design? Sure, you can rewire it but seems that the added Dtap functionality would've allowed this option.