Rycote Nano Shield AA w/ Schoeps CMC 141 resonance

swordinhand

Recently purchased a Schoeps CMC141 and Rycote Nano Shield AA and I’ve noticed that when I put the windshield on (sock only, no windjammer) it picks up a lot of boom pole handling noise. Buts, as soon as I take the windshield off, the noise is gone. It sounds like the windshield creates a low mid resonance that pulls up the resonance traveling through the PSC boom pole. I love the mount, it’s amazingly engineered, but this resonance thing has me stumped. Is this normal for small zeppelins to exhibit a resonance? Any tips to minimize / eliminate? I have noticed that the further back I put the mic in the basket, the less prominent the effect, but it’s still pretty noticeable. Thanks for any suggestions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I believe that we took this conversation offline already?

If so, we have been able to recreate the issue in the AA size basket and are on a solution already. We made up some samples of several solutions which we'll send you to test them :) Hope that solves the issue. I'll post the winner here as well. If you are someone else please send me a pm and we'll get it sorted.

Thanks so much for flagging this up

Cheers,

Timo

• 4 months later...

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out. Matt is right, the active filter PCBA doesn't allow for digital microphones. The plain cable is available as standard spare part, same as  the Lemo, MZL cables. So you should be able to get it at your next trusted audio dealer. Please feel free to give me a shout, if they don't know about it so I can give them the right order code etc.

Cheers,

Timo

Sadly I'm having the same issue. I say sadly, because other than that the Nano Shield is really amazing but the resonance it creates is crazy and I had my client tell me that "I did cause a lot of handling noises".
Now I'm a bit worried of using it again. The last thing I want is to lose a client...

Edit: Apparently Rycote fixed/is fixing the problem and Timo will take care of this! Soooo I'll be happy and the clients also :)

Guys I got a very speedy response from Joe at Rycote Tech Support. 

Hello Ivan,

thanks for contacting us.
We have been made aware that with a particular batch of socks, the tension is too high, so especially on smaller Nano Shields the baskets can resonate. We've identified the problem and worked on different solutions. One fixed it once and for all. We made a new lining based on our 3D-Tex material. This new socks dampens all basket vibrations very efficiently. We achieved -20dB handling noise isolation. Also we've made this version water repellent.

So, if you could kindly share your shipping address, and the model size you bought, we will ship a prototype of the new lining free of charge. As a small appologiy we'll also include some chroma socks you can pull over the 3D-Tex for green, or blue screen shots.

Cheers,
Joe

Hi all, 

First of all thank you for getting a Nano Shield.  After receiving the first reports we've been able to replicate this on some Nano Shield in our lab. We started immediately to work on different solutions with good results.

The 3D-Tex sock was on the roadmap for later this year. So while testing early prototypes we found that it eliminated the  issue completely. Instead of trying to isolate the structure borne noise, which always is a trade off between efficiency and stability, we absorb the energy with the spacer fabric on the basket skeleton. This way we effectively prevent that the basket structure can convert it to air borne sound.

Long story short, or sincerest apologies that you received a faulty product. Please share your shipping address with me @ Timo@rycote.com .

We'll send you a pre-production version to solve your issue immediately. Once released, you'll be able to pick up a production version with our compliments at your next dealership. 

Again my sincerest apologies. 

Timo

5 hours ago, Ivan Milborrow said:

Guys I got a very speedy response from Joe at Rycote Tech Support. 

Hello Ivan,

thanks for contacting us.
We have been made aware that with a particular batch of socks, the tension is too high, so especially on smaller Nano Shields the baskets can resonate. We've identified the problem and worked on different solutions. One fixed it once and for all. We made a new lining based on our 3D-Tex material. This new socks dampens all basket vibrations very efficiently. We achieved -20dB handling noise isolation. Also we've made this version water repellent.

So, if you could kindly share your shipping address, and the model size you bought, we will ship a prototype of the new lining free of charge. As a small appologiy we'll also include some chroma socks you can pull over the 3D-Tex for green, or blue screen shots.

Cheers,
Joe

Did you get your set, yet?

Cheers,

Timo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 3:05 PM, TimoK said:

Please feel free to give me a shout, if they don't know about it so I can give them the right order code etc.

Got my Nano today. The trusted dealer advertised to "supply a cable suited for AES, which looks the same as the one that comes with the kit." and "This specific cable is € 59,50.". What they did not advertise is, that they'd just cut off the PCB-XLR and assemble a new connector. m(

Is it possible to open and resolder the PCB-XLR?

Hi All,

being so focused on fixing the issue with the new 3D-Tex socks, I forgot to mention that there is a quick and dirty solution to get rid of the handling noise until we can supply the new socks. Please just take off the cotton / Merino wool socks from the basket and use the skeleton just with the windjammer instead. I will keep you posted on the fix

Cheers,

Timo

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Finally we are about to ramp up production for the fix kits the upcoming weeks. The kits will include a set of new 3D-Tex socks (we've achieved great improvements with different cuts the last weeks as well), and a new Hytrel swivel arm which decouples the basket from the boom pole even more.. Any of you who are affected by the issue, please send me a mail, so I can add you to the priority list to make sure you get these ASAP.

Cheers,

Timo

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 5:44 AM, TimoK said:

Hi All,

Finally we are about to ramp up production for the fix kits the upcoming weeks. The kits will include a set of new 3D-Tex socks (we've achieved great improvements with different cuts the last weeks as well), and a new Hytrel swivel arm which decouples the basket from the boom pole even more.. Any of you who are affected by the issue, please send me a mail, so I can add you to the priority list to make sure you get these ASAP.

Cheers,

Timo

Hi, Timo. What is the best way to message you about the new kit? I too have experienced the issue described here. Forgive me if the answer to my question might seem obvious; I'm new to the JW platform. Thank you!

On 4/28/2022 at 4:03 AM, RsmithSound said:

Hi, Timo. What is the best way to message you about the new kit? I too have experienced the issue described here. Forgive me if the answer to my question might seem obvious; I'm new to the JW platform. Thank you!

Hi RsmithSound,

I'm sorry to hear that you are affected by this issue. We're just beginning the production of the upgrade kits, and are working through the list.

You would do me a huge favour, if you could send me your shipping details including kit size, contact number for UPS to timo@rycote.com, so I can forward it to the team :)

Sorry again for the inconvenience! 

Cheers,

Timo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks,
same problem here. The resonance makes this product fairly useless for me. It shines on seated interviews outdoors, when the boom is on a stand, not being touched of course. But working on fiction I tired many variations but in the end had to use other products instead. I figured out that using the fur without the sock helps a lot with that handling noise, but of course it muffles the sound too much in situations where there's not much wind.
I find it to be a massive design fault and wonder how it could happen when the rest is so smartly designed.
The custom service was friendly and quick. I am also waiting since a couple of month now being patient and looking forward too.

I have taken my Nanoshield rig out of service.  Luckily I have many Rycote zeppelin rigs and Conn Boxes to chose from in my collection.

I had an 8060 inside it and heard the weird resonance too often.  And the handling noise and vibration from the pole was much worse

than other Rycote setups.   The High Pass filter is a great feature but I have abandoned my Nanoshield.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Spin360 said:

Did anybody hear back from Rycote?

For me there has been total silence since Timo has gone and I'm unsure if that is going to change...

Edit: I literally just got a promising email!

Me too, this morning! The attached letter with the email says the new kits will include:

·         2 New 3D-Tex Socks

·         1 New Swivel Arm – For the Suspension

·         1 New Digital Cable

Cheers,

Roland