Confusion about difference between TC and ACN

Spin360

Hello! 

I've been using "The Lockit" with my. mixpre 10T II for two months now without anybody complaining, so it seems to work. 

However I've tried to learn more about what the ACN port is for as compared to the Sync port. 

What are they used for? The Sync port goes into my recorder, but I just realized that the ACN port works just as well.. Which one should I be using? What's the difference and point of having both? 

Thanks! 

Both ports do the same thing with timecode - they both generate or receive timecode.

This uses  the usual 5 pin Lemo timecode pin/cable configuration. 

The "Sync" output also outputs Genlock sync - if you want both timecode and genlock, you can get a cable with a lemo that splits to 2 BNC's, one with timecode out and one with genlock, (genlock makes your timecode frame accurate-which can be important in some applications)  

Your Mixpre does not have a genlock/wordclock input, so it won't make any difference to what you are doing.   

The "ACN" output provides regular timecode, but can also can be split to provide the proprietary ACN data feed for devices that can use it.  If you didn't buy the lockit for it's ACN capabilities, then you probably don't need to worry about it!

So it's kind of confusing because there's a lot of redundancy and multi use capability in that little box. You're using a small measure of it's full capability.   I would suggest doing a bit of reading on this site or others about the difference between timecode and genlock sync.  And if you really want to dive into the what the lockit can do, spend some time on the ambient site exploring the information about the ACN network.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

From Ambient site:

Two Lemo-compatible push-pull sockets provide maximum flexibility and continued use of available cables. TC in and out follow industry standard and allow for syncing of 2 cameras in parallel or jamming via a cable while leaving the synced unit connected.
The primary output carries timecode and genlock/wordclock. This gives you the freedom to choose running it either on straight, Y-split cable or 2 separate leads using the second connector for timecode which also connects to devices that support ACN for metadata transfer.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, Freeheel said:

Both ports do the same thing with timecode - they both generate or receive timecode.

This uses  the usual 5 pin Lemo timecode pin/cable configuration. 

The "Sync" output also outputs Genlock sync - if you want both timecode and genlock, you can get a cable with a lemo that splits to 2 BNC's, one with timecode out and one with genlock, (genlock makes your timecode frame accurate-which can be important in some applications)  

Your Mixpre does not have a genlock input, so it won't make any difference to what you are doing.   

The "ACN" output provides regular timecode, but can also can be split to provide the proprietary ACN data feed for devices that can use it.  If you didn't buy the lockit for it's ACN capabilities, then you probably don't need to worry about it!

So it's kind of confusing because there's a lot of redundancy and multi use capability in that little box. You're using a small measure of it's full capability.   I would suggest doing a bit of reading on this site or others about the difference between timecode and genlock sync.  And if you really want to dive into the what the lockit can do, spend some time on the ambient site exploring the information about the ACN network.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

From Ambient site:

Two Lemo-compatible push-pull sockets provide maximum flexibility and continued use of available cables. TC in and out follow industry standard and allow for syncing of 2 cameras in parallel or jamming via a cable while leaving the synced unit connected.
The primary output carries timecode and genlock/wordclock. This gives you the freedom to choose running it either on straight, Y-split cable or 2 separate leads using the second connector for timecode which also connects to devices that support ACN for metadata transfer.

So in reference to using a timecode box with both Timecode and genlock output, there isn’t much point in plugging up the genlock into the camera if you’ve not got a genlock input on your mixer?

8 hours ago, Reg said:

So in reference to using a timecode box with both Timecode and genlock output, there isn’t much point in plugging up the genlock into the camera if you’ve not got a genlock input on your mixer?

No, Genlock is a video only thing. You plug Timecode into your recorder, and Timecode (always) and Genlock (if possible/needed) into the camera(s). Genlock and Timecode Sync means that the moment the Timecode switches is the exact moment the camera starts exposure of the corresponding frame. Also, it means that the camera is continually getting sync, preventing drift during long takes (like event recording).