Jump to content

Emesser ATE 308


tolachi
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have recently had a couple of requests for stereo and thought it might be time for a gear upgrade. I have a 4017b and a cs3e and would like to be able to do a M/S setup primarily with the 4017b. The emesser appears to be a good option for this (although I'm open to something else). I'm curious if anyone has experience with the new 308 model compared to the 208. It sounds like they significantly reduced the noise floor, which is appealing. OTOH finding a used 208 and saving $300 is also appealing.  

 

Any thoughts/impressions appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have worked several times with a combination of Sennheiser MKH 60 and ATE 208 in a Cinela Piano.

 

The ATE208 is ok for doc work, folk & rock music, general loud ambiences. It's not satisfying for real high quality work (classical music, silent ambiences).

I once wanted to use it for a radio play outside recording. The sound supervisor listened in and looked at me shocked. She forced me to use something else, so I switched over to a Schoeps line up.

 

So, the ATE308 will do better I hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mungo said:

I have worked several times with a combination of Sennheiser MKH 60 and ATE 208 in a Cinela Piano.

 

The ATE208 is ok for doc work, folk & rock music, general loud ambiences. It's not satisfying for real high quality work (classical music, silent ambiences).

I once wanted to use it for a radio play outside recording. The sound supervisor listened in and looked at me shocked. She forced me to use something else, so I switched over to a Schoeps line up.

 

So, the ATE308 will do better I hope.

Really? I am quite happy with my 208 tbh. Sure, its not the quitest mic, but do isnt the CS3e or the schoeps either.

 

Would love to have a listen to the 308, but the weight and footprint of the 208 is already really nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Really?

 

Yes, quiet situation in an empty flat. Person going around and opening doors, switching on lights, flushing toilet, voice bits. The goal was to capture it from a distance and let it sound like from a distance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm... this is making me wonder if i should just try to get an mkh30 and pair it with the 4017b. If i ever get more serious i can get an mkh 40 etc... It is bigger, but besides size and cost i can't see a downside to the mkh 30 over the emesser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, Mungo said:

 

Yes, quiet situation in an empty flat. Person going around and opening doors, switching on lights, flushing toilet, voice bits. The goal was to capture it from a distance and let it sound like from a distance.

Did you switch to the Schoeps side addressed, or just other Schoeps mics? Thought the noise was about the same for Schoeps and ATE208, with the favor of the built in HP on the ATE208. I have done similar things with good results, the only downside I have to say of the emesser is that by nature of being a side addressed mic, it is rather sensitive to handling noise despite the low frequency roll off.

 

21 hours ago, tolachi said:

Hmmm... this is making me wonder if i should just try to get an mkh30 and pair it with the 4017b. If i ever get more serious i can get an mkh 40 etc... It is bigger, but besides size and cost i can't see a downside to the mkh 30 over the emesser.

For me, size and weight is of concern if its something meant for the top of a boompole. The emesser fits here nicely, but I do imagine MKH30 is in another class (compared to 208 at least) when it comes to be "noisefree" (almost 3 times the weight).

 

Would love to hear a 308 side by side to the 208. Not sure the specs are updated on Ambients homepage, they are listed the same as for 208 and 308 currently apart from the LF rolloff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Did you switch to the Schoeps side addressed, or just other Schoeps mics? Thought the noise was about the same for Schoeps and ATE208, with the favor of the built in HP on the ATE208. I have done similar things with good results, the only downside I have to say of the emesser is that by nature of being a side addressed mic, it is rather sensitive to handling noise despite the low frequency roll off.

 

No, I had a complete spare Schoeps MS Combo with MK41, but it with a vintage switchable pattern Schoeps (don't remember the name) set to "eight". Everything not very handy. This had no good suspension, no fur either (we shot outside as well), so working with it was harder.

 

The complaint was about the side noise, not about the center, which was the MKH60.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 1:44 AM, tolachi said:

Hmmm... this is making me wonder if i should just try to get an mkh30 and pair it with the 4017b. If i ever get more serious i can get an mkh 40 etc... It is bigger, but besides size and cost i can't see a downside to the mkh 30 over the emesser.


Just FYI: someone is selling a bunch of MKH30‘s on Facebook. In case you decide to go this route…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

For me, size and weight is of concern if its something meant for the top of a boompole. The emesser fits here nicely, but I do imagine MKH30 is in another class (compared to 208 at least) when it comes to be "noisefree" (almost 3 times the weight).

 

I love small and light but noise is more important and i hope to never boom in any serious way. I appreciate the perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, tolachi said:

 

I love small and light but noise is more important and i hope to never boom in any serious way. I appreciate the perspective. 

Then MkH30 may be the way to go as something tried and tested, also another exotic contendant: Nevaton MC59 with fig8 capsule if you can get your hands on one for a reasonable price. Reportedly only have 8db of A weighted selfnoise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...