Emesser ATE 308

tolachi

I have recently had a couple of requests for stereo and thought it might be time for a gear upgrade. I have a 4017b and a cs3e and would like to be able to do a M/S setup primarily with the 4017b. The emesser appears to be a good option for this (although I'm open to something else). I'm curious if anyone has experience with the new 308 model compared to the 208. It sounds like they significantly reduced the noise floor, which is appealing. OTOH finding a used 208 and saving $300 is also appealing.  

Any thoughts/impressions appreciated!

I have worked several times with a combination of Sennheiser MKH 60 and ATE 208 in a Cinela Piano.

The ATE208 is ok for doc work, folk & rock music, general loud ambiences. It's not satisfying for real high quality work (classical music, silent ambiences).

I once wanted to use it for a radio play outside recording. The sound supervisor listened in and looked at me shocked. She forced me to use something else, so I switched over to a Schoeps line up.

So, the ATE308 will do better I hope.

21 hours ago, Mungo said:

I have worked several times with a combination of Sennheiser MKH 60 and ATE 208 in a Cinela Piano.

The ATE208 is ok for doc work, folk & rock music, general loud ambiences. It's not satisfying for real high quality work (classical music, silent ambiences).

I once wanted to use it for a radio play outside recording. The sound supervisor listened in and looked at me shocked. She forced me to use something else, so I switched over to a Schoeps line up.

So, the ATE308 will do better I hope.

Really? I am quite happy with my 208 tbh. Sure, its not the quitest mic, but do isnt the CS3e or the schoeps either.

Would love to have a listen to the 308, but the weight and footprint of the 208 is already really nice. 

On 9/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, Mungo said:

Yes, quiet situation in an empty flat. Person going around and opening doors, switching on lights, flushing toilet, voice bits. The goal was to capture it from a distance and let it sound like from a distance.

Did you switch to the Schoeps side addressed, or just other Schoeps mics? Thought the noise was about the same for Schoeps and ATE208, with the favor of the built in HP on the ATE208. I have done similar things with good results, the only downside I have to say of the emesser is that by nature of being a side addressed mic, it is rather sensitive to handling noise despite the low frequency roll off.

21 hours ago, tolachi said:

Hmmm... this is making me wonder if i should just try to get an mkh30 and pair it with the 4017b. If i ever get more serious i can get an mkh 40 etc... It is bigger, but besides size and cost i can't see a downside to the mkh 30 over the emesser.

For me, size and weight is of concern if its something meant for the top of a boompole. The emesser fits here nicely, but I do imagine MKH30 is in another class (compared to 208 at least) when it comes to be "noisefree" (almost 3 times the weight).

Would love to hear a 308 side by side to the 208. Not sure the specs are updated on Ambients homepage, they are listed the same as for 208 and 308 currently apart from the LF rolloff.

11 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Did you switch to the Schoeps side addressed, or just other Schoeps mics? Thought the noise was about the same for Schoeps and ATE208, with the favor of the built in HP on the ATE208. I have done similar things with good results, the only downside I have to say of the emesser is that by nature of being a side addressed mic, it is rather sensitive to handling noise despite the low frequency roll off.

No, I had a complete spare Schoeps MS Combo with MK41, but it with a vintage switchable pattern Schoeps (don't remember the name) set to "eight". Everything not very handy. This had no good suspension, no fur either (we shot outside as well), so working with it was harder.

The complaint was about the side noise, not about the center, which was the MKH60.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:44 AM, tolachi said:

Hmmm... this is making me wonder if i should just try to get an mkh30 and pair it with the 4017b. If i ever get more serious i can get an mkh 40 etc... It is bigger, but besides size and cost i can't see a downside to the mkh 30 over the emesser.

Just FYI: someone is selling a bunch of MKH30‘s on Facebook. In case you decide to go this route…

On 9/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

For me, size and weight is of concern if its something meant for the top of a boompole. The emesser fits here nicely, but I do imagine MKH30 is in another class (compared to 208 at least) when it comes to be "noisefree" (almost 3 times the weight).

I love small and light but noise is more important and i hope to never boom in any serious way. I appreciate the perspective. 

11 hours ago, tolachi said:

I love small and light but noise is more important and i hope to never boom in any serious way. I appreciate the perspective. 

Then MkH30 may be the way to go as something tried and tested, also another exotic contendant: Nevaton MC59 with fig8 capsule if you can get your hands on one for a reasonable price. Reportedly only have 8db of A weighted selfnoise. 

• 1 month later...

FYI: I ordered an ATE308 but it will take some time for Ambient to fulfill orders.

If anybody is interested in a side by side with other figure8, just tell me.

I have a MBHO KA800, which sounds very nice and has a relatively low noise floor, but is just to heavy for long booming sessions.

I still have my trusty AudioTechnica BP4029 (very similar M/S combo as Sennheiser MKH418). It sounds rather dull and noisy in direct comparison, but get's the occational M/S doco job done easily. Never got any complaints!

A friend has the Schoeps MK8. It's the most natural and somewhat open sounding mic, but has a rahter low output and is on the expensive side for sure.

I want the ATE308 because it's easy to set up and does not weight too much. Let's see, if it sounds nice, too.

It will accompany my MKH8060 or the MBHO KA200/500 for M/S booming.

I am very interested in hearing your impression. I got a good deal on an mkh 30 but the bulk of the wind protection contraptions it needs is depressing. It might be a deal breaker for me. We travel a lot. I'd love to be able to just buy a cinela MS Leonard Ball and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt this was the new 308 version.

Mine has arrived freshly produced yesterday, but I forgot to get the cable for my basket with Connbox.

I'll try it out next week, when I get the TA3>Binder adapter cable.

The form is still the old one, while they put a dark blue nextel-like finish with silver engravings on it.

Looks nice!

It still weights next to nothing.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

it took me some time to set the thing up, because of cable problems in my mini basket.

But now it's ready to record.

I did not use it in an actual production, but I don't see any issues with noise floor or low output.

The gain will be on par with the gain setting of my MKH8060 in most situations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ambient 208 

• signal to noise ratio DIN/IEC: 79 dB-A

Ambient 308 

• signal to noise ratio DIN/IEC: 79 dB-A

schoeps mk41 

• signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 79dB-A

schopes mk8

• signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 76dB-A

Hi,

I didi do some recordings, but nothing really demanding so far.

It's much better than my AT BP4029 M/S combo figure8 part and I think it's not any noisier than the MK8.

Actually I think the noisefloor is also better than with the ATE208 which I think was on par with the MK8 already.

But there's more with noise than just the weighted SNR., it's frequenzy distribution much more.

The MK8 is still the king for me when it comes to natural sounding ambience.

But the ATE308 is a better match for my Senni MKH8060.

If I really need stereo ambiences, I pull out my A/B-Stereo rig with 2x cards or even super cards.

That's just another class.