Booming with head and one ram

Spin360

Recently somebody commented it and it made me think. Since I'm usually the only sound guy on set I never see others boom, except for the few times I had an operator - and those didn't do that.

So what I often do is put the boom on my head and hold the rear side with one hand and use my head as a lever, so I have my front hand free. Doesn't cause coises from my clicking elbow or moving my hands, which is nice.

So. Am I the only one? Because then it might be something cultural, having grown up in Guatemala where people carry stuff on their head lol

When I do it, I usually wear a field cap. Not during take, but sometimes when there is prolonged time between "roll sound" and "set" waiting for some plane, traffic lights or whatever. Obviously only when it is safe, not above actors, etc.

I've seen bald guys do it without a hat.

And then, there is the "rest on the head with the hand in between" technique.

On 9/8/2021 at 2:21 AM, Spin360 said:

So. Am I the only one? Because then it might be something cultural, having grown up in Guatemala where people carry stuff on their head lol

One has to ask.  Do you have Prehensile Hair?  With my bald pate it would be difficult to support  the boom without it sliding off.

that’s some good backlash (with no offence… of course ) about someone doing what they’ve got to do to get the job done.  As someone who mixes with a bag strapped to my body every day

while booming at the same time, I totally get why someone  would do this. I’ve done it many times to make mixer adjustments that needed to be done, and I don’t exactly have the wrists  of  steel required to one arm boom  for more than three seconds.  it’s totally risky move, but practice makes perfect!  Reality TV can be very unforgiving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 3:07 AM, cmgoodin said:

So I guess Medusa would have made a great Boom Person.   Except for all the Hissing... 

And you wouldn't have to worry about her adding another set of footsteps on those long Walk-and-talks.MedusaBoom.png

And when she asks the crew to keep still for the room tone - they know she means business. 

Only if I needed to adjust something.  It was immediately obvious that getting an ideal position is 100% impossible, and thereafter have never considered it a good position.  Even if your subject is standing still there are micro adjustments that can only be done with two hands on the pole. (If the subject is sitting down, then I will put the boom on a stand and not touch it at all!)  Also, I want to be able to move my head while rolling!  It’s also much more comfortable to have two hands up there, once you’ve got the muscles of course.  Lastly, weight on my head hurts my neck.

Dan Izen

Only on documentary one man job do I use my head to rest the boom. (I have the curly hair that makes it not to slip).

But as most comments here, it is only when the mike can or have to stand still, not for voice or not for long, and it is in between two both hands positions.

I cannot stay for too long in that position though, it also hurt my neck nowadays.

• Spin360 changed the title to Booming with head and one ram