Antenna diversity vs. true diversity - how big is the difference in performance?

Phil

Hello everyone!

I hope I'm not starting a redundant thread here, but I haven't found one on this specific question yet:

Do any of you have first hand experience with comparing the two different diversity systems directly? I know how their respective principals work but I'm still not sure if antenna diversity is "good enough" for my intended use in a production sound bag, or if I should make true diversity a priority for wireless mics on talent.

Just to be specific: I'm trying to decide if I should get a Wisycom MPR 52 Bundle or the MCR 42. 

Thx!

Philip

I won’t comment on the diversity type, as this is a kind of very controversial topic. Lectro use antenna, Wisy use « true » diversity, there is also the vector diversity now, so, I’ll let the experts debates about what is the best.

what I can share on the other hand, is a direct comparison between the MCR42 and the MPR52 in a bag. 

I did an experiment a few month ago with both receivers, tuned on the same frequencies and made a walk test to compare which one was the best… and in the end, there is not much difference but I was surprised to see that the 52 had slightly less dropouts.  I am not sure about the reasons, but I guess that the 52 has more selective front end filters. 

If someone from Wisycom follow this forum, he could maybe confirm this, but definitely, I can tell you that the 52. Is very capable, even if it’s not a « true «  diversity receiver. 

it’s only drawback is the fact that the two receivers must be tuned in close frequencies, but is this really a problem ?

1 hour ago, henrimic said:

I won’t comment on the diversity type, as this is a kind of very controversial topic. Lectro use antenna, Wisy use « true » diversity, there is also the vector diversity now, so, I’ll let the experts debates about what is the best.

what I can share on the other hand, is a direct comparison between the MCR42 and the MPR52 in a bag. 

I did an experiment a few month ago with both receivers, tuned on the same frequencies and made a walk test to compare which one was the best… and in the end, there is not much difference but I was surprised to see that the 52 had slightly less dropouts.  I am not sure about the reasons, but I guess that the 52 has more selective front end filters. 

If someone from Wisycom follow this forum, he could maybe confirm this, but definitely, I can tell you that the 52. Is very capable, even if it’s not a « true «  diversity receiver. 

it’s only drawback is the fact that the two receivers must be tuned in close frequencies, but is this really a problem ?

Thx a lot! Your first hand account is exactly the kind of feedback that I was hoping for!

6 hours ago, henrimic said:

Besides 'Vector Diversity', the 822 also can do true diversity with multiple transmitters.

I did a test with Wisy MPR52 and two Tx on frequency diversity mode and true diversity mode with only one TX. In true div. mod, I get 15-20% better in range at the first signal drop point compared to 2 Tx freq. div. antenna mod(2ch).

Comparing antenna dv. mod to true dv. mod.(both 1 ch), they are almost same in range but antenna dv mod makes very sudden audiable signal drop outs when switching antennas.
And did another test right there with Sony Uwp d11 series which I believe antenna diversity. Sony is very very close to Wisy's true diversity on Mpr52, slight less under 5% in range. 

4 hours ago, filmsalang said:

I did a test with Wisy MPR52 and two Tx on frequency diversity mode and true diversity mode with only one TX. In true div. mod, I get 15-20% better in range at the first signal drop point compared to 2 Tx freq. div. antenna mod(2ch).

Comparing antenna dv. mod to true dv. mod.(both 1 ch), they are almost same in range but antenna dv mod makes very sudden audiable signal drop outs when switching antennas.
And did another test right there with Sony Uwp d11 series which I believe antenna diversity. Sony is very very close to Wisy's true diversity on Mpr52, slight less under 5% in range. 

Ok, thanks! That’s very interesting! You also mentioned the Sony UWP-D system, which I also looked into. Would you say they are a viable alternative to the MPR52 if I actually just need something more stable and less prone to RF hits than the Sennheiser G3/G4 and not all of the hi end features of the Wisycoms?

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Ok, thanks! That’s very interesting! You also mentioned the Sony UWP-D system, which I also looked into. Would you say they are a viable alternative to the MPR52 if I actually just need something more stable and less prone to RF hits than the Sennheiser G3/G4 and not all of the hi end features of the Wisycoms?

Not an alternative at all to MPR52. Sony UWP-D is much much better in terms of RF stability than G3/G4, but Sony's self noise is pretty or very distracting(not smooth modulating). In some cases even you would hear digitally stepping noise when voice ups and downs. You should not use on serious gigs, only for camera hops or IFB, YouTube gigs, something equivalent use. 
With SMA mod and external powered antenna, Sony has great range too. but that's it, and all.

1 hour ago, filmsalang said:

Not an alternative at all to MPR52. Sony UWP-D is much much better in terms of RF stability than G3/G4, but Sony's self noise is pretty or very distracting(not smooth modulating). In some cases even you would hear digitally stepping noise when voice ups and downs. You should not use on serious gigs, only for camera hops or IFB, YouTube gigs, something equivalent use. 
With SMA mod and external powered antenna, Sony has great range too. but that's it, and all.

Oh, ok. Thank you, that’s valuable advice!

5 hours ago, filmsalang said:

I actually just need something more stable and less prone to RF hits than the Sennheiser G3/G4

To decrease interference with the G2/3/4 Sennheisers, get an RF scanner to find a clear frequency range. The Sennheiser's internal Rx scanner it not sensitive enough to detect extraneous RF that can cause hits and dropouts. I have use my G series systems in RF hell (midtown Manhattan) with very few hits. Prior to getting my RF Explorer, they were pretty much unusable in highly populated RF environments. In lieu of a RF scanner (but not as good), an online frequency finder can be used to detect TV stations that can cause issues. Choose a channel range with a modulation of -80 dBm or better.

btw, the Sennheisers are not substitutes for my Lectros, but perform relatively well with due diligent frequency selection.