MixPre-10T RF spray

Michael Kocab

I recently purchased the MCR54 receiver to go with my MixPre10T. When I scan frequencies with the recorder turned off, I get much lower RF noise levels than when I turn the recorder on. My receiver sits on top of the MixPre,  I have a junior stingray bag and there isn't much of a way I could physically separate the two. I am an extreme RF noob, but I understand it wouldn't be proper to just "extend" my whips using two short SMA cables (ground plane issues?). Is there anything else I could do? Wrap the recorder in some sort of RF shielding material? Or just go ahead and buy the Betso Bowties? 

Do higher end mixer-recorders even have to deal with this issue (RF spray), or is it a MixPre thing?

Sorry for the million questions and thank you!

Michael 

Larry Fisher is the ultimate RF guru. He's helped me many times through this site and otherwise.

1 minute ago, Philip Perkins said:

I lined my 744T bag with RF shield cloth years ago, doubled up on the surface facing the RX.  It has helped, am still using it this way

Yes, the 744 is a notorious RF sprayer, something to do with the spinning harddrive?

On 9/16/2021 at 2:24 PM, Spin360 said:

I'm interested in your solution. What kind of RF shield cloth did you use, and how?

Here ya go:

JJ CARE Faraday Fabric 44"x39”, Upgraded Faraday Cloth with Free 1"x24" Faraday Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855KQ36Z/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_98SQF53AXQG2AXG1TRDT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 year later...