Lectrosonics 822 vs SRC

wysey

Hello 

Sorry if this has already been covered.

As an owner of many src's im considering dropping some coin and upgrading to the 822's. It's a big outlay though so im after some real world comparisons please? Apart from covering all the blocks are the 822s any better?

Thank you

I was debating picking up another SRc and selling/trading my oldest SR/SRb system, because of the deal that Lectro is offering on the SRc’s, but ultimately decided to go with an 822.  To me, it made the most sense, even if financially it is a much bigger commitment.  Starting with buying the 822, it allows me to “migrate” into a fully digital system, while being completely backward compatible with every single one of my existing digital hybrid transmitters(18), save the two block 26 UM400a’s that are for one of my camera hop systems.  It’s pretty much compatible with everything except IFB mode.  The audio guy I was working with toward the end of last week uses the DCH system, so I threw the 822 on my cam the night before(so I could rig it how I wanted it) and just switched to that mode and tuned into the freq. the next day on the shoot.

I haven’t done a head-to-head wireless performance comparison(I’m not the guy that you need doing it, anyway), but most people give the 822 the performance advantage.  I just worked with a guy early last week that ordered two 822’s, because he doesn’t like his SRc’s(said he has performance issues with them).  But a lot of that can come down to the specific environment you’re in regularly.  Knock-on-wood, my SRc has been solid.

I currently have the 822 paired with my “A” set that consists of a block 22 SRb, two SMQV high-power belt packs and two UH400A plug-ons(obviously I pulled the SRb).  I plan on getting two DBSMD belt packs in the next month or two and hopefully two DPR plug-ons by the end of the year.  Then I plan on selling off my oldest block 22 SR set.  And at some point, I’ll probably start over with that same process of swapping out another set.

The only real negatives I have with the 822, so far, are the size vs. an SR chassis and the screen is a b!tch to see/read.

I don’t have an SRC to compare it with, but the 822 is a great piece if gear and very solid and very reliable. Range is on par or better than 411a, Venue in ratio mode, and certainly better than my SRBs. 
Backwards capability is great, as well. 
two disadvantages compared to the SRC: it’s not Wireless Designer compatible at the moment. I can’t understand why they can’t get it done or why they even released the 822 before it was ready for WD, but that’s how it is. 
Just like the 411a and any other non-slot in receiver, this one’s much trickier to install as part of a larger system. 

RunandGun, you make some interesting points. Being backwards compatible with lectros digital and anologue systems. At the monent, not a big deal but in a few years might make my src's rendundat on certain sets. If im also being honest, switching from 411's many years ago I was always disappointed with the range of the sr series comparatively, I however looked past this to have the advantages of sr's size and weight. It was enlightening when I could run 3 src's with a 633 out of a bag. A tiny yet powerful package that could cover 80 percent of my work. And a side bonus, my back has never felt better!

Constantin, it's great that your getting similar range to the 411. Ive read its got upgraded front end tracking that the 411 had and im glad to hear its a solid performance wise.  Have you used it much in high rf / multi radio mic scenarios. I always found that's when the src's fell over a little? 

On 9/22/2021 at 6:27 AM, Constantin said:

I don’t have an SRC to compare it with, but the 822 is a great piece if gear and very solid and very reliable. Range is on par or better than 411a, Venue in ratio mode, and certainly better than my SRBs. 
Backwards capability is great, as well. 
two disadvantages compared to the SRC: it’s not Wireless Designer compatible at the moment. I can’t understand why they can’t get it done or why they even released the 822 before it was ready for WD, but that’s how it is. 
Just like the 411a and any other non-slot in receiver, this one’s much trickier to install as part of a larger system. 

how you connect with 822 and other receiver onto one pair antenna ?   any performance drop for mix with digital and analog receiver in one pair antenna ? 

822 is on par with 411 in NA Hybrid mode. Handles dropouts differently. 822 in D2 mode can present inconsistent results in my day to day. Audio output will get muddy or garble words frequently when RF becomes just a little unstable. Always playing with power output and location of belt pack for signal stability. Lack of usable spectrum in congested metro areas can make it difficult for solid D2 performance.