Audio Files from Deity BP-TRX with zero Duration - Corrupt Recording

Sound

What happened on these files:
The file size in the header was set to x00 00 00 00 (Read, zero.)
Same goes for the size of the Data chunk. (As I expected.)

This makes sense after a crash. The device expected a normal exit, then measure the file, then set the correct values.
It's absolutely no problem to fix these files 'in place'.
(If I find a bit of time today I'll build it in 'somewhere'.)

The drift is something else. There is a normal BWF timestamp. Perhaps, but that's a VERY wild guess, that gets altered to a NDF format or alike on normal exit. (Where the normal clock runs in RT or so.)
No matter what the trouble is, I bet it's a DF / NDF (0.1 % or 3.6 seconds per hour) drift.
That's a golden oldie, also easy to fix.

Is there anyone here, who owns a Deity Connect Deluxe kit and could try if the same problem shows up?

Best with the newest firmware 1.3.

Is seems to show up only so far when you trigger record through the receiver.

I started recording on both transmitters at the same time by long pushing the up and down arrows on the receiver,

then I let the recording run for some time. (maybe best over an hour at least)

Then I stopped recording through the receiver and immediately startet it again and let it run for some time..

Most corrupt files are at least 500 mb.

Would be great to know if its a faulty unit or a fw problem.

I will post this in the Bp-Trx Group as well.

Maybe with those settings:

Mode: TX+Rec

Input Type: Mono

Low Cut: 40 Hz

Limiter: on

Fre Boost off

RF Power Auto

On 9/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, Sound said:

Is seems like DF / NDF from the delay you are talking about.. Although I am recording in 25p, so there should be no DF or NDF...

Nope, then I have no clue...
But I don't know how these thingies are working...
How big is the drift, is it constant? Does the drift get bigger when the TC values increase? If so, by how much?

Yes, its no offset or delay, its a costant drift. So its getting bigger when TC values increase.

When I dial in the starting timecode manually, the first minutes are i sing.

Im not sure, but I had a few seconds drift after some time.. I guess after one or two hours..

Still after almost four days testing, I guess the problem only occurs when triggering the recording remotely.

Maybe the solution would just be to map the shortcut on the device to put them to sleep mode instead of start and stop record...

And I think it only occured after the first FW-updates..

if you still have copies of the corrupted files, you might like to try Audio Rescue from Pokitec (the developer of Boom Recorder). It's free. I don't think they are still actively developing anything, but the website is still there and Audio Rescue has worked for me and others in the past, better than something like Audacity - as it was written to be timecode-aware. Mac-only. https://www.pokitec.com/downloads/

10 hours ago, nickreich said:

if you still have copies of the corrupted files, you might like to try Audio Rescue from Pokitec (the developer of Boom Recorder). It's free. I don't think they are still actively developing anything, but the website is still there and Audio Rescue has worked for me and others in the past, better than something like Audacity - as it was written to be timecode-aware. Mac-only. https://www.pokitec.com/downloads/

Thanks for your help! i just tried it. Unfortunately theres only white noise in the rescued files, although it detects bitrate, channels and sample rate correctly..

About the drift:

All the files I recovered in reaper have the exact same duration and metadata as the original files.

So I really dont know why there is drift when syncing...

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 19.14.24.png

I can only guess that the duration of the original files is already wrong. But the the bitrate is correct and the file size should be according to the duration..

53 minutes ago, Bouke said:

Please, make it simple.
Give me a few (at least two) timecodes (Or bwf timestamps) with the corresponding drift, and I know what I'm talking about.

For the few who don't know, Bouke does know what he's talking about. Sometimes he gets a little feisty/cranky (like all of us), but he's more than clever and more than generous (like just the best of us). Check out all the great software he's built:

https://www.videotoolshed.com

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

Sometimes he gets a little feisty/cranky

Well, often, but close to never in PM. I can be harsh, but that is 'normal' for me. It is a bit the Dutch way, I master that art. Don't seek anything behind it, it's just words.

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

he's more than clever

To be honest and modest, that's an understatement : -)
Fact is, and please: 'Whatever happens on JW, stays on JW.' 

I'm bi-polar. That means that from time to time I'm brilliant, but there is a horrible flip side.

16 hours ago, Bouke said:

Give me a few (at least two) timecodes (Or bwf timestamps) with the corresponding drift, and I know what I'm talking about.

On re-reading, it should say: THEN I know what I'm talking about.
(At this point I have no clue what could cause drift, the Deity guys should know. I'll rant about that in my next post.)

Its all 48 kHz

58 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

A mismatched sample rate between the file and DAW will cause drift, especially on long takes, and it is not as easy to detect a slight speed/pitch change with dialog.  Timecode alone does not guarantee drift-free sync either, even if both the file and the DAW are the same sample rate.

54 minutes ago, Bouke said:

for fixing corrupt / bad files:
https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/wavefix/

Deity should have made this though, not me.

I can / will add more functionalty to taste,

Thanks Bouke, thats a quick fix!

It seems to work! I was wondering where the fixed files are, as they are not in the selected "storage location".

But then i saw that it fixed the originals. (Maybe it would be even better to add anoter option not to overwrite the originals)

I could check for the audio delay now.

And I must say I have been wrong:

It seems to be a fixed timecode offset.

For some reason all the rescued files are almost exactly one second off,

which means the recorded audio in the bp-trx is one second too soon.

I dont know why that happens, but it can be fixed quite easily if i add a +1 second offset when syncing. Its always the same offset, no matter if i rescue with your app or with reaper.

Sorry for the wrong information, guess I was too tired the night I found out about the problem and tried to fix it..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 2:19 AM, Sound said:

...Maybe the contacts of the internal sd card reader loose contact after some time. In the first weeks I had no problems at all with the same micro sd card. (sandisk extreme).

Hey @Sound, I am having a similar problem with BP-TRX units ... namely the inability to reliably record internally because the devices lock up and become dysfunctional, this issue seems to be independent of the type of SD card...

It looks like the only way to use these devices right now is as wireless transmitters/receivers/timecode boxes.

Problem Description

Summary: BP-TRX freezes on a screen, displaying “Please wait…” after recording for longer than ~1hr.

Product: Deity BP-TRX Connect Deluxe Kit

Firmware Version: (Boot V1.0) (APP V1.3)

Problem: When in (TX + Recorder) mode, and the record button is pressed on BP-TRX after recording for ~1hr, when pressing stop, the BP-TRX shows "Please wait..." indefinitely.  No combination of buttons seem to power off or restart the device.

Duration: After recording for a little over 1hr the BP-TRX shows a locked screen showing "Please wait..." which persisted for over 48hrs, until the BP-TRX died.  A simple way to force power cycle would have been helpful.  Further recording glitches on this unit and the unit that came in the same order surfaced.

"Work around" Solution: Still waiting for batteries in the BP-TRX to lose charge so that the device powers off, then I will re-charge

Micro SD Card #1 Used: Sandisk Extreme pro UHS-I 128GB micro sd card

Micro SD Card #2 Used: Lexar 1066x 128GB UHS-I micro sd card

See full problem report with video examples here: https://tinyurl.com/2021-09-26-Deity-Connect-Issue (also attached as 2021-11-20-DEITY-Connect-BP-TRX-Issue-Report.pdf to this form)

On 10/26/2021 at 3:40 AM, Sound said:

I wrote to vincent directly via email, one moth ago he asked me to send the broken unit for service.

Since then no answer and no reaction to emails anymore.

I also reported this issue through https://deitymic.com/support/ back in September 2021... but I have had no response.

@Vincent R., @Andrew From DeityWhen does Deity plan to release a new (relative to (Boot V1.0) (APP V1.3)) FW version to correct internal recording issues in the BP-TRX?

Thanks!

2021-11-20-DEITY-Connect-BP-TRX-Issue-Report.pdf

On 11/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Jordan Ulmer said:

Hey @Sound, I am having a similar problem with BP-TRX units ... namely the inability to reliably record internally because the devices lock up and become dysfunctional, this issue seems to be independent of the type of SD card...

It looks like the only way to use these devices right now is as wireless transmitters/receivers/timecode boxes.

Problem Description

Summary: BP-TRX freezes on a screen, displaying “Please wait…” after recording for longer than ~1hr.

Problem: When in (TX + Recorder) mode, and the record button is pressed on BP-TRX after recording for ~1hr, when pressing stop, the BP-TRX shows "Please wait..." indefinitely.  No combination of buttons seem to power off or restart the device.

Duration: After recording for a little over 1hr the BP-TRX shows a locked screen showing "Please wait..." which persisted for over 48hrs, until the BP-TRX died.  A simple way to force power cycle would have been helpful.  Further recording glitches on this unit and the unit that came in the same order surfaced.

"Work around" Solution: Still waiting for batteries in the BP-TRX to lose charge so that the device powers off, then I will re-charge

See full problem report with video examples here: https://tinyurl.com/2021-09-26-Deity-Connect-Issue (also attached as 2021-11-20-DEITY-Connect-BP-TRX-Issue-Report.pdf to this form)

I also reported this issue through https://deitymic.com/support/ back in September 2021... but I have had no response.

@Vincent R., @Andrew From DeityWhen does Deity plan to release a new (relative to (Boot V1.0) (APP V1.3)) FW version to correct internal recording issues in the BP-TRX?

Thanks!

2021-11-20-DEITY-Connect-BP-TRX-Issue-Report.pdf 2.43 MB · 1 download

Very sorry to hear. I had to send my connect deluxe kit back and cancel my order of a second one. Not sure if it’s a firmware or hardware problem. For just using them as a transmitter they didn’t seem reliable enough, so I am using my Sony uwp-d units again and hope Sony will release a version with internal recording ability anytime soon. Or maybe I will buy the next generation from deity. But as I need at least four transmitters I am still not convinced that that will work with those Wi-Fi 2.5 ghz units..

On 11/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Jordan Ulmer said:

Problem Description

Thanks!

2021-11-20-DEITY-Connect-BP-TRX-Issue-Report.pdf 2.43 MB · 1 download

Hi Jordan, I informed our US support dept. about your support request; It seems your "ticket" was not registered for some reason. 
(BTW; long hold press the power button for a restart of the unit).