headphones from camera acting as a microphone on my return feed....

pshap

Hey guys , Client has forced me to capture audio to his CANON VIXIA HV30 consumer brand cameras. I have the right channel from my harness cables connected to the supplied XLR to mini 1/8 audio input cable on each camera. I have noticed that when listening to my returns A and B (while recording) I can hear sounds originating from the headphones that are stabbed into the headphone jack on my harness cable at the camera end (this is for the camera operator to listen with). It's like they are a microphone! I thought that maybe it was because the headphones that were being use by the camera operators were powered, but I swapped them out and it still is happening.... Cameraman was wiping sweat from his ears and I noticed this noise....

I listened to playback and cannot tell if the noise was captured on tape. Another problem is that when the camera is in playback mode the headphone jack will not work... so all I can do is listen through the cameras speaker. Weak!!!

Any ideas besides ditching the consumer cameras?....

Based on the initial description, I'm not sure of the setup, but if he's talking about the following scenario, it's not uncommon:

The camera operator and the sound mixer both have headphones monitoring from the same camera output (with a Y cable).  When the camera operator takes his cans off or puts them on, the sound mixer hears sound generated from this action.  (It works in the other direction, too, of course.)

This occurs because (most) headphones are dynamic transducers which use a moving coil operating in a magnetic field.  The headphone elements are essentially a microphone or a speaker -- depending upon whether they're generating a voltage or translating a voltage -- and they're hooked up in parallel with each other (yes, just like tin cans with a tight piece of string between them).  The pressure change from the headphones being removed from (or put on) the camera operator's head, generates a voltage (via a moving coil in a magnetic field) and the sound mixer's headphones turns this voltage back into sound waves (via a driven coil, operating in a magnetic field).

This is normal.  One way to avoid the effect occurring is for the sound mixer to monitor from the camera's line outputs while the camera operator is monitoring from the camera's headphone output.  Therefore each pair of headphones is being driven via separate amplifiers which isolate the headphones from each other (you've cut the string between the tin cans).

John B.