Short Minijack Screw-Lock Cable

Sound

I am thinking about getting some zoom-f2-recorders as a backup for my sony uwp-d-Transmitter.

Both have a minijack screw lock connection so I need a cable that goes from the minijack screw lock output of the f2 to the screw lock input of the sony transmitter.

And maybe I even need the sony input polarity, wich is different from sennheiser...

Does anyone know where to get those cables??

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I usually found it best to get the raw connectors and make my own, so I could have exactly the length I wanted.  This is especially true for cables that will be used on a camera or in a bag-rig.  Trew sells those connectors in 1s and 2s if you want, I'd guess German retailers like Kortwich do as well.

I already have a lot of those connectors. But my soldering hasn’t been to reliable so far ;)

11 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

I believe the Zoom input is the Sennheiser wiring configuration (Tip= audio and bias, Ring and sleeve= shield/ground.) The output is likely a standard TRS HP jack config.

I am not familiar location audio shops on your planet, but most in USA can make any custom cable you want.

Thanks! I hope the wiring of a normal minijack stereo cable will do from the f2 output to the Sony input

I hope the wiring of a normal mini jack stereo cable will do from the f2 output to the Sony input

I do not think a standard 3.5mm-to-3.5mm TRS cable will work. You will need a custom wired cable.

The Sony Tx uses the 'Ring' terminal for audio +. I am not sure what terminal is the bias voltage, which you should not need.

Sony's Tx mic/line input level switching is a user setting.  Sennheiser's SK series bodypack transmitter uses a different plug wiring config for mic/line input level.

If you need to use your mic that is wired for Sony on the F2, you might want to look at this item:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002618799025.html

I use the contrary adapter cable (Sennheiser Mic to Sony TX) and am quite happy with it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002647341177.html

They fit in well in the cable pocket of Ursa/Viviana straps.

P.S.: There is also the Hixman CA117 Convert Adapter but I highly prefer adapter cables.

37 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

If you need to use your mic that is wired for Sony on the F2, you might want to look at this item:

I use the contrary adapter cable (Sennheiser Mic to Sony TX) and am quite happy with it.

P.S.: There is also the Hixman CA117 Convert Adapter but I highly prefer adapter cables.

Thanks! I wanted the f2 because most of my Sony mics are unusable because I had to sanitize them because of Corona.

with the f2 I get a more or less useable mic which is ok for my needs, so the price for the unit drops even more.

the main problem is still the connection between f2 and tx, which needs to be 100 percent reliable..

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

I do not think a standard 3.5mm-to-3.5mm TRS cable will work. You will need a custom wired cable.

The Sony Tx uses the 'Ring' terminal for audio +. I am not sure what terminal is the bias voltage, which you should not need.

Sony's Tx mic/line input level switching is a user setting.  Sennheiser's SK series bodypack transmitter uses a different plug wiring config for mic/line input level.

Thanks! So I will work on my soldering skills.

2 hours ago, DanieldH said:

I've used a "normal" Sennheiser CL1 cable from my Track E headphone output. As this is "stereo" (as in 2 signals on T and R) it works on Sonys AND the rest of the world. 

I don't think the bias voltage will do anything nasty to my Track E outputs.

That’s exactly what I need, but with two screw locks.

image.jpeg
it was included with the tascam 10 cs.. unfortunately I already sold them

I thought about if it'd be worth it to mod my Track E outputs with a locking socket but now I just tape the angled connector of the CL1-N cable and it feels reliable and is more compact than some straight locking connector. Try out a simple trs to trs cable before spending money on a soldering approach. If it works, a cheap CL1-N or similar will do (though exposing your output to BIAS power).

On 10/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, DanieldH said:I use the contrary adapter cable (Sennheiser Mic to Sony TX) and am quite happy with it.

Thanks! I ordered the Adapter to use my old sennheiser mke2 gold on the Sony uwp-d. Do you know a decent and very cheap sony lav? Or even another sennheiser mic that I can use with the adapter? I am looking for around 50 euros.

The OST (Oscar SoundTech) mics are highly regarded by most folks here as a good sounding low-cost alternative mic The 801 and 802 are identical in appearance and size to the Tram TR50 (in fact the clips and other accessories are interchangeable). The 4mm 'oil can' shaped end-fire TL40 has a flatter frequency response.  OST mics are made in New Jersey (USA) so they may be a little over budget when shipped to your planet.  btw, OST's customer service is exceptional as well,

5 hours ago, Sound said:

Thanks! I ordered the Adapter to use my old sennheiser mke2 gold on the Sony uwp-d. Do you know a decent and very cheap sony lav? Or even another sennheiser mic that I can use with the adapter? I am looking for around 50 euros.

A Sony lav or any lav that comes with a Sony coded TRS?

The only Sennheiser Lav I like so far(, yet not your requested price range,) is the MKE-1. It is not DPA of course, but still good and cable and capsule hide even in the thinnest costume.

Both Chinese brands mentioned above offer lavs terminated for SonyTX in that price range, as well as many other Chinese brands. Some look incredibly similar to the ME2 (without the K), that is included with various entry level products like Sennheiser AVX, EW G4, Tentacle Track E. The latter selling for €55 or so, not Sony terminated but with a small accessory kit. It would not surprise me if they all fall out of the same factory. It is a rather big thing and nothing I'd want to hide. I have Tentacle mics but never used them on humans, so I have no opinion on how they sound there.

I never liked the MKE2 Gold and I have always saw it to be highly overpriced to my taste of sound. Though I don't really know what other mics where on the market at the time it came out. (Evolution G2?) But if you look for something inexpensive, reviews with sound samples e.g. on YT might help you.

OST is from what I recall not such a bargain in Europe.

I used the MKE2 quite often and it's not bad at all. Yes, it's not a cos11 or a DPA and also the MKE1 is a better mic. But neither the MKE2 nor the ME2 are bad mics at all 

Another cheaper option is the Deity W-Lav Pro. It sounds really good, but it's not the most mechanically reliable option.

You can also ask Kortwich for their own miniature lav. It's super small and sounds good, too.

Both mics are above 100€.

If you want an ME2 or the cheaper regular W.Lav from Deity, you can contact me via PM. I have several and they stay unused as a pure spare lav.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, DanieldH said:

I just tried out the Sennheiser to Sony adapter, works great, thank you!

And I could compare my Sony UWP-D to my Sennheiser MKE 2.

The Sennheiser is the clear winner, but with a little treble boost on the sony, I can get them to match quite well.

I will compare them to the Deity W.Lav pro soon - I hope the microdot-adapter is reliable and durable enough.

Its always some extra work to mix and match different lav mics in post, so sooner or later I will decide.

Did anyone try the lavs that are shipped with the f2?

Maybe they are already worth the price of the f2?