Rode Wireless Go II audio clipping

Sound

I tried out the wireless go II as a backup or a very mobile solution to always have on me.

I connected it via 3.5mm jack to the sony a7s.

Then I went filming on a building site - someone wearing the transmitter only on the chest and talking louder because of the noise around. (not screaming)

Although it was set to -24 db and far from peaking the audio is clipped.

Does anyone have the same experience?

I guess there is no other gain setting than the gain you set from the receiver?

were you using an external mic plugged into the transmitter or just the transmitters built in mic? I've been using some basic earset headset style mics from microphone madness for some podcast recordings with the wireless go II system with pretty good and solid results, transmitter plugged into a tascam dr-07x.

7 hours ago, Michael McQueen said:

were you using an external mic plugged into the transmitter or just the transmitters built in mic? I've been using some basic earset headset style mics from microphone madness for some podcast recordings with the wireless go II system with pretty good and solid results, transmitter plugged into a tascam dr-07x.

Only the internal mic

Found it:

Low Sensitivity Mode

Sometimes it may be necessary to reduce the sensitivity of the Wireless GO II's in-built microphone, so we have included the option to activate a pad for the input of the transmitters.

To activate the pad, simply toggle the 'Pad' button in RØDE Central. You can also activate the pad from the receiver by selecting the transmitter using the pair button (‘∞‘), followed by a long press on the ‘dB’ button. Note: a short press will activate the mute function, so take care to hold the button until the pad symbol appears on the receiver display. 

This feature is particularly useful when using the transmitter with the Interview GO handheld adapter, where it may be used very close to the mouth. The pad function also affects the 3.5mm microphone input if you are using an external lavalier.

On 10/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jim Feeley said:

You might find more Rode wireless users on DVXUSER. And I mean Rode wireless users who know what's up.

https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/filmmaking/location-sound-post-audio

Actually, for ref, the main - and quite long and useful - discussion of the Rode WirelessGO ii on DVXuser isn't in the audio sub-forum, but here: https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/announcements-news/industry-news-information/374796-rode-wireless-go-ii

Cheers,

Roland

On 10/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, Sound said:

Found it:

Low Sensitivity Mode

Sometimes it may be necessary to reduce the sensitivity of the Wireless GO II's in-built microphone, so we have included the option to activate a pad for the input of the transmitters.

To activate the pad, simply toggle the 'Pad' button in RØDE Central. You can also activate the pad from the receiver by selecting the transmitter using the pair button (‘∞‘), followed by a long press on the ‘dB’ button. Note: a short press will activate the mute function, so take care to hold the button until the pad symbol appears on the receiver display. 

This feature is particularly useful when using the transmitter with the Interview GO handheld adapter, where it may be used very close to the mouth. The pad function also affects the 3.5mm microphone input if you are using an external lavalier.

Rode technical support give the TX pad as -4dB, which is pretty small if achieved: however, I've tested it and, on my units at least, the pad isn't working at all (either with internal or external mics), and I have an outstanding technical query with Rode support about this at the moment.

Cheers,

Roland

On 10/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, Throwback said:

Actually, for ref, the main - and quite long and useful - discussion of the Rode WirelessGO ii on DVXuser isn't in the audio sub-forum, but here: https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/announcements-news/industry-news-information/374796-rode-wireless-go-ii

Cheers,

Roland

Rode technical support give the TX pad as -4dB, which is pretty small if achieved: however, I've tested it and, on my units at least, the pad isn't working at all (either with internal or external mics), and I have an outstanding technical query with Rode support about this at the moment.

Cheers,

Roland

Thanks! Can you keep us updated? I will check my unit as well

On 10/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, Throwback said:

Cheers,

Roland

Cheers,

Roland

I double checked: On my units the pad is working, although -4dB isnt very much.

59 minutes ago, Sound said:

I double checked: On my units the pad is working, although -4dB isnt very much.

Interesting that the TX pad works on your units: did you measure it at -4dB? What did you measure it with? Hard to understand why it isn't working on units, given that it is the result of a firmware update.

Cheers,

Roland

I've just heard back from my Rode technical support contact, with an initial response: with a TX pair to hand he does find in his case that the -4dB pad works with the internal mics, but only gives -2dB with an external mic (a RØDELink Lav), and makes no difference at all when fed an external tone signal. Odd. They will be exploring further. If I hear anything more that is useful, I will post an update. Meanwhile, it is always useful to have a less sensitive lav mic around for those loud sources (DPA 4061, Countryman B3 W4 or W5 etc.)...

Cheers,

Roland

2 hours ago, Throwback said:

I've just heard back from my Rode technical support contact, with an initial response: with a TX pair to hand he does find in his case that the -4dB pad works with the internal mics, but only gives -2dB with an external mic (a RØDELink Lav), and makes no difference at all when fed an external tone signal. Odd. They will be exploring further. If I hear anything more that is useful, I will post an update. Meanwhile, it is always useful to have a less sensitive lav mic around for those loud sources (DPA 4061, Countryman B3 W4 or W5 etc.)...

Cheers,

Roland

Keep us updated! I am curious. BTW: pretty expensive mics for such a cheap transmitter ;)

I only checked the internal recordings without external mics.

7 minutes ago, Sound said:

BTW: pretty expensive mics for such a cheap transmitter

Yes, esp. the DPA. But - whilst appreciating that these are a long way from a bit of kit for professional film sound recordists - that actual sound recorded and transmitted is surprisingly good, as per my tests where I cut out the effect of the onboard or external mics: https://drbadphil.com/testing-the-new-rode-wireless-go-ii

Cheers,

Roland

• 2 months later...

That pad would make more sense as a typo for line-level, but those tests don’t lie. Weird.

6041’s have long been home-base for me due to the unanticipated noice of my city surroundings. And I’m rather okay with the occasions when a professional performance can actually deliver a line under their breath. Should I really be looking at the 6040’s for such gigs? In any case, I’m okay with pairing this with a better mic, that doesn’t seem particularly hypocritical as far as I understand this user case