Hey what’s everybody’s favorite AA rechargeable?

Izen Ears

3 hours ago, daniel said:

The ISDT chargers also let you dial the current used as well as handling multiple chemistries (not at the same time).

Yeah I just got an 8 Bay one of those.  Set it to .5 amps charging and it's nice that the whole charger is powered by USB.  So far so good.  Paid I think $60 for it?

12 minutes ago, codyman said:

it's nice that the whole charger is powered by USB. 

Yepp, the 8 bay version is USB powered. 16 and 24 versions come with a 12V PSU. One nice feature for 12v ecosystems like vehicles is that you can set the max total power/current of the unit.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, sonicfruit said:

Was about to ask for charger recommendations for the LADDA 2450s. Ikea sells their own charger but it's pretty basic, and seems to take longer than it should to charge. The ISDT looks great -- I like to have a visual reference!

Yep, I have one of the Ikea 12-bay chargers (storhogen), but I mostly use the Maha Energy Corp. Powerex MH-C9000PRO. Also recently picked up one of the USB powered ones Dan Izen recommended on this site. I haven't used it much yet, but it seems to work good. I hooked it up straight to a solar panel that has a USB port - and it charged up a couple AA just fine.

10 hours ago, sonicfruit said:

Was about to ask for charger recommendations for the LADDA 2450s. Ikea sells their own charger but it's pretty basic, and seems to take longer than it should to charge. The ISDT looks great -- I like to have a visual reference!

The ISDT N8 is USB powered @5V. The N16 and N24 need 12V and come with a PSU and a non locking 5.5mm DC power connector that sits firmly. I did not like the USB charging concept. The N16 and N24 also have a USB port, that is currently only meaningful for firmware updates that don't exist so far afaik. There are lots of things that could be improved by firmware, but I have a feeling this will never happen. 

Some say, it is difficult to take out AAs but though they are firmly in the bay, you'll find a technique quickly to take them out. Ppl reported that the units deep discharge (or overtickle?) batteries when they are stored in there over long periods of time. So keep that in mind.

I have 2 N24 and 48 white Ladda2450 and am quite happy. 

5 hours ago, DanieldH said:

The ISDT N8 is USB powered @5V. The N16 and N24 need 12V and come with a PSU and a non locking 5.5mm DC power connector that sits firmly. I did not like the USB charging concept.....

I have 2 N24 and 48 white Ladda2450 and am quite happy. 

Thanks! Very helpful. I am curious what objections you have to USB charging.

15 hours ago, sonicfruit said:

I am curious what objections you have to USB charging.

Depends on your other setups, and what pros/cons apply to you more. I particularly dIdn't like the initial MicroUSB connector. With its 5V, it even had limitations on maximum charging currents, though I rarely charge fast. Nowadays N8 apparently has USB-C (and even needs 12V on there to reach full performance?).

That said, I'd even prefer coax power connectors to USB-C as they're simpler and easier to customize, sit tighter and are probably more durable.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:35 AM, sonicfruit said:

Was about to ask for charger recommendations for the LADDA 2450s. Ikea sells their own charger but it's pretty basic, and seems to take longer than it should to charge.

I have the ikea 8 bay AC charger and it‘d definitely slow, and it seems to stop charging a bit earlier then full (if I put the batteries in another charger they charge quite a bit more).

there is a new grey 4 bay ikea charger that should be faster.

the new grey 2450 ladda seem to be very similar to the older white ones, the 1900 are reported to be good as well, but from what I‘ve read rebranded eneloops.