What 9V rechargeables do you use?

DanieldH

I've never been a friend of IPowerUS. I've seen a few chargers that failed on one or more bays and whenever you wanted a new charger or batteries you needed to buy the other in the new generation. At least that is what I recall. Also the chargers where never strudy though expensive.

There have been these 9V USB rechargeable batteries for a while now in NiMh, LiIon and LiPo and probably others without USB connectors and I wonder if some models came up by now that provide enough voltage under load.

What do you use?

I have 24 out of the 25 9v iPowerUS 520mah I got in 2011 (yes, ten years ago) still working. Only one of the original 25 failed a few years ago - that’s not bad in my view. Two chargers and they have never had a problem. They still run a Comtek all day. Recently added 4 of the new-ish 800mah version, and they are great so far. Runs an R1a all day. And they charge on the same chargers I already have.

Thnx guys.

Thing is, I'm asking because I have this rare occurrence that a plugon TX failed (MTB40) and a cheap old Iriq Pre made my day. A new TX is on the way but there are 2 days to go and I'll work with disposable 9V blocks. But this Iriq Pre is a drunkard for 9V and I won't use it on a regular basis but it is a thing that runs well for a super light rig, e.g. into a Tentacle Track E. So it won't make sense to buy something in the IpowerUs price range for future use. I am looking for something that does not need an extra charger, at least not a 50$ one, e.g. USB charged or charged by NiMh routines.

I also have some really old iPowers skill kicking from maybe 2010? The purple text ones. I finally retired the older light blue ones. 
I’ve gotten some Tenergy ones more recently and they seem to work well, but they’re mostly for Comteks. I don’t have any transmitters left that use 9v. I do occasionally use them in a 411 paired to a HM for a handheld, and no complaints. 

Like most posts have mentioned I'm still rocking Ipower Lithium Ion 9v purple series that are dated for in service since 2011 in my Comteks and R1a Lectrosonics and they still deliver. I am pretty much AA in the power department now for transmitters for my wireless mics. The Ipowers will run for days in the Comteks. Pretty cool. 

I usually don't cheap out on no name brand batteries but I've actually been rocking rechargeable lithium 9v by EBL.  I've got about 24+ of them now and they seem to work great in my R1a's?  They are a lot cheaper than the name brand ones and I've been using them for about 4 years now and have only had one ever permanently die on me.

34 minutes ago, codyman said:

I usually don't cheap out on no name brand batteries but I've actually been rocking rechargeable lithium 9v by EBL.  I've got about 24+ of them now and they seem to work great in my R1a's?  They are a lot cheaper than the name brand ones and I've been using them for about 4 years now and have only had one ever permanently die on me.

What’s the power on the various 9Vs you’ve been using and how long do they power an r1a?

8 minutes ago, JonG said:

What’s the power on the various 9Vs you’ve been using and how long do they power an r1a?

EBL 6F22 600mAh (or at least they claim).  Seems to run the R1a's at least 8-10 hours from my non scientific observations.  I usually replace director and scripties batteries after lunch as a precaution but beats the pants off blowing through procells, both for the environment's sake and my wallet's.  Sometimes an R1a will die towards the end of the day if it has been left on the whole time and the battery hasn't been swapped.  All in all, "good enough".

I've had pretty good results with the HiTech 9V rechargeable batteries. The original versions were lithium-ion with a 600 mAh rated capacity and had a black and red design on the battery casing (https://www.gnbatteries.com/hitech-rli-9600-9v-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-600mah/). The latest version are lithium polymer with a 720 mAh capacity and have a green and silver design:
https://www.batterymart.com/p-r-li9720-9volt-lithium-polymer-battery.html

As with other lithium-based rechargeable batteries, they start out around 8.4V or so when fully charged with a nominal voltage of 7.4V and dropping down into the 6V range when they start running out of juice. The HiTech batteries seem to deliver pretty close to their rated capacity from the tests I have done. With a Lectrosonics UM400a transmitter, this usually means runtimes in the 6 to 8 hour range. With Lectrosonics R1a receivers, typically about 12 hours or so.

I also tried the EBL batteries a while back, but found that the HiTech batteries lasted longer. At the time I was comparing the original 600 mAh HiTech batteries against the 600 mAh EBL, so in theory the runtime should have been about the same (so perhaps HiTech is a bit more conservative with their capacity ratings). The EBL batteries are often less expensive though, especially if you buy some of the bulk packs with multiple batteries, so they are not necessarily a bad value if you are ok with a bit less runtime.