Video: Howling Atmospheric River Winds Making Golden Gate Bridge Sing

Jim Feeley

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — The howling gale forces winds, whipped up by a potent atmospheric river, whistled through the railing grates of the Golden Gate Bridge, creating an eerie sound track for the storm as it ripped through the San Francisco Bay Area.

[snip]

Is it a hum? A ghostly wail? A Brian Eno-style soundtrack for the world’s most beautiful bridge? The noise is not easy to describe. Howell had been chasing the source since April.

Rest of the story: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/10/24/video-howling-atmospheric-river-winds-making-golden-gate-bridge-sing/

And from yesterday's storm:

It’s deafening in person. I heard it last year some time and thought, what an engineering failure. 

On a brighter note. The view while driving is seamless of the ocean. I see what they were trying to do. The rails disappear at speed. 

It went from “atmospheric river” to now a  get this… “bomb cyclone”. We used to just call it heavy rain around here in these parts. 

Those meteorological terms have been around for decades and stayed largely within the meteorological community. But I suppose at some point, TV weather people wanted to punch up their shows and terms like 'bomb cyclone' have a certain cache. In a world that forgot how to use anything but superlative adjectives, bomb cyclone goes with the territory. Who wouldn't want to say bomb cyclone on their weather report instead of heavy rain?

But, I could be ultra, hyper-massively wrong to the extreme.