David Clark H10 Headphones

whatalob

I've only worn aviation headphones as a passenger in small planes. The ones I wore seemed to boost the high mids, perhaps to cut through... But I'm no authority on aviation headphones. However....

Remote Audio modifies aviation headphones with a Sony 7506 driver. Here's their short blurb:

HN-7506 – HIGH NOISE HEADSET

These surprisingly comfortable phones have been a big hit for professionals who want to protect their ears while monitoring the quality of their recordings. Sealing off outside ambience by as much as 45dB, the HN-7506 is designed to sound like the industry standard Sony MDR-7506, and allows the switch from one to another without loss of monitoring standard and reliability.

More details here:

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hearing/high-noise-headset/

About $340 without a boom, more with. Available at most of the usual suspect dealers.

HN-7506.pngHN-7506-boom.png

In the 1970s the production company I worked for had some customized David Clark headsets that had had Sennheiser drivers put in them, mostly for concert type shoots.  Later I rolled my own (2 pair) with more generic aircraft hearing protectors and the same Senny drivers--they were ok.  The Trew version, esp the later model, is better than all of these.

More comfortable too.  However, after a long concert I am counting the minutes until I can take the damn things off....

Glad to see the video of the making of the RA cans.  I bought a pair when they first came out.  Not sure who made them for Trew.  I had to recable mine a few years ago.  The insides looked like something my grandmother would have made.  Kept the drivers and added better and improved sound deadening materials.

Nice to know they have been improved.