Set gain level on zoom f6 while recording in 32 bit

Sound

I am recording in 32 bit float on the zoom f6. I am recordig only the isolated tracks and I am using the mix for monitoring. Usually I set the recording levels first, then I push record and then I mix my channels for monitoring. But what happens if I find out that the input gain of a track is totally off? I know that I can correct it later on in 32 bit, but its anoing if you need to use PFL or want a good starting point in the editing room or you need to convert it for some reason later on..

Is it possible to adjust the Input of the isolated tracks while recording? The "Trim" setting for every channel is disabled in 32 bit mode so I can only set it before starting to record, why? So I would have to press stop, set the gain of all six channels again, press record and set the mix levels again. Is this the only way?

There is a small text box inside the signal flow diagram on page 194 of the Op Manual.  Set in the Menu, Rec, Mode, to "Float" (p 32).  Next, in the Menu, set Input, Track Knob, to "Rec Level" (from its default of "Reference Level"). 

Similar to the need to charge the internal CMOS battery using a 5V AC-powered external charger, with the F6 powered ON for 24-48 hours in order to retain settings, there are a few necessary functions that are poorly or NOT documented in the manual.  This appears to be a need with all of the big Fx recorders, all undocumented.  I found this recently with one unit that had lost settings.  It had been on external battery power continuously, but not an AC-powered source directly.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:02 AM, Joe A said:

There is a small text box inside the signal flow diagram on page 194 of the Op Manual.  Set in the Menu, Rec, Mode, to "Float" (p 32).  Next, in the Menu, set Input, Track Knob, to "Rec Level" (from its default of "Reference Level"). 

Similar to the need to charge the internal CMOS battery using a 5V AC-powered external charger, with the F6 powered ON for 24-48 hours in order to retain settings, there are a few necessary functions that are poorly or NOT documented in the manual.  This appears to be a need with all of the big Fx recorders, all undocumented.  I found this recently with one unit that had lost settings.  It had been on external battery power continuously, but not an AC-powered source directly.

Thanks. I already read the whole manual. The problem is: As soon as I do this I am not able to mix a track for monitoring anymore without altering the input gain. So when I turn two knobs to off because the sound is disturbing the input gain is set to 0. I was hoping i could somehow keep the "reference level" setting and still use "trim" to set the input level. I think this is only possible to keep "trim" when I use 32 and 24 bit recording simultaneously. But thats annoying as well. So I set the PFL-Monitoring so "solo" instead of pre-fader so that I am monitoring the post-fader signal in PFL-Mode. Then I have to correct huge gain jumps in post.. But thats the way it is..

Answer from Zoom:

"There would not be another way to adjust the recorded level while in 32 bit mode.

I will forward your suggestion to the engineers at Zoom Corporation in Japan to consider for a future update."