Anyone use Proaim carts?

Mack

• 1 month later...

Hi Group.

Yes indeed the old copycat proaim global purchased a Foldup from me under the guise of using it as a rental for their company movri rentals in Vancouver.

I had a bit of a spit on instagram @rastorder

In fact the one they show in their pictures is actually the one I sent them.

Grubs will be grubs I guess.

IMG_20210529_114344.jpg

5 hours ago, Rob Stalder said:

Hi Group.

Yes indeed the old copycat proaim global purchased a Foldup from me under the guise of using it as a rental for their company movri rentals in Vancouver.

Sorry to hear that they are ripping off your builds, Rob.  Worth pursuing legally given their roots in Canada?  I'd imagine intellectual property there is treated pretty decent there?  Love the DD cart.  Mine is now officially 1 year old and working great.

22 hours ago, codyman said:

Sorry to hear that they are ripping off your builds, Rob.  Worth pursuing legally given their roots in Canada?  I'd imagine intellectual property there is treated pretty decent there?  Love the DD cart.  Mine is now officially 1 year old and working great.

I believe this is actually a misnomer, I’m 99.9% sure they are actually based in India. But I originally thought they were a Canadian company too, as well as some of my friends. So whatever they are doing to convince us they are Canadians if in fact they aren’t, is working. 

Thanks for your comments Edward and Codyman. Proaim Global is based in Mumbai, India. However they have companies with warehouses set up in Vancouver (Canada) and Brussels (Belgium). This way they are well placed to road freight into neighbouring countries cheaply and without too much drama. It also gives them access to buy equipment from these countries, stealing the interlectual property, sending them back to Mumbai to be copycated. Very cute, (some might say criminal) business model. Their freight cost to their warehouses by sea freight would be peanuts. Makes me think I need an alternative to air freight... And of course there will always be other grubs who will support them by buying their products. 

This seems to be business model for a lot of companies. First they sell clear copycats of existing products, then introduce a couple products that seem to be their own, but are still cheap and poor quality, and after a while they are somehow awarded respectability. 

I believe a certain Chinese company has an mkh416 ripoff available that people are now turning a blind eye to. Just like when Behringer was making identical mixers to Mackies. 

Thank you, Philip, for pointing this out. I remember the Skyline cart very well  --  back at time when there were just a few, if even that, commercially produced sound carts. Audio Services/PSC definitely "borrowed" the design for their cart. The PSC cart only became somewhat of a standard because there were very few choices for sound mixers who wanted to just buy something and not have to worry about designing and building a cart themselves.

From my point of view there is a huge difference between (I wont say design) concept borrowing and outright cloning (copycating).

There are many people who have copied my upright carts. I don't really have a problem with that. Most have slightly modified the style & put a fair bit of effort into their build.

Not so Proaim Global. They outright steal the whole intellectual property and clone it.

I could be accused of borrowing concepts.

If I have, I believe I have created a new product, with new dimensions, new mobility and new work flow solutions.

The change in workflow in the last 15 years has been interesting. PSC's Euro cart was at the pointy end of cart design progress when it was released. I also acknowledge there were members of this community who contributed to it.

There have been quite a few cart builders who have followed their lead with their own versions. No one has copycated it.

Back to Proaim Global.

My advice is, if you go on set and there is one of their copycat products there, voice your distaste.

At the end of the day if you don't support original manufactures, we will go away.

Rob Stalder

www.rastorder.com.au

• 1 month later...

Well Proaim Global are up to their old tricks this time with two of my carts, the Production Sound Cart and the MiniCart. Of course you get what you pay for! Despite how clever they think they are, they don't appear to be able to work out the correct way to mount the handle!? The support of the sound community, as ever, is hugely appreciated.

image.pngimage.png

• 5 months later...

I finally saw someone on a shoot with a proaim cart but it was one of those Inovativ knock off carts.  The guy was a know-it-all schmuck to deal with even before I noticed the label so it wasn't shocking once I did.  He definitely wanted to make people think he had an Inovativ without actually paying actually for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for all these precious informations. This thread is so useful.

It helped me realize that Proaim seems a company producing copycats

I will NOT buy their products.

I was looking for an Orca Bags OR-30, and I discovered this new bag from Proaim.
https://www.proaim.be/collections/professional-audio-cases/products/proaim-audio-cine-cube-bag-for-sound-mixers-wireless-receivers

I was surprized it looked so much like the Orca Bags design.

After reading this thread, I understand it is only a bad copy….

And ironically it is advertised as « meticulous designing »

Proaim-Audio-Cine-Cube-Bag-Sound-Mixers-