Looking For Discontinued TASCAM Item

katiedawg

Sorry in advance if I'm posting on the wrong forum.

I'm trying to find a TASCAM RC-F82 control surface for my HS-P82 recorder.  I have two of the recorders and I've never had a need for the control surface - until now.  And they're discontinued!

Anybody have anything they'd want to sell?  New, used - doesn't matter as long as it works.

TIA...

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Maybe hit up some of the usual retailers and see if they have any new old stock?  I have an RC-F82 but I still use it on occasion / if you're in Birmingham, I don't think it would be monetarily worth it to send it back and forth for a rental.

I've tried my usual suspects - Full Compass, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, et al. to no avail.  Sigh...

All I need to do is give a live mix for a webcast as I capture the eight ins for post later, and the RC-F82 would be perfect.  Otherwise, I'll be dragging out my 01V96 and sending AES/EBU from the HS-P82 to the mixer for the webcast.  I'd rather not drag that mixer around for something so simple.  Lots of overkill capability from the Yamaha that I won't need, and the RC-F82 just sits right on top of the recorder, taking up very little space.

I knew I should've grabbed one of these off eBay a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, katiedawg said:

I've tried my usual suspects - Full Compass, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, et al. to no avail.  Sigh...

No idea who these people are so take it with a grain of salt (could be just a permanent listing with actually no availability too...) but these people claim to have one.  I'd definitely call first!

https://worldofstereo.com/rc-f82-fader-unit-for-hsp82/

Just now, codyman said:

No idea who these people are so take it with a grain of salt (could be just a permanent listing with actually no availability too...) but these people claim to have one.  I'd definitely call first!

https://worldofstereo.com/rc-f82-fader-unit-for-hsp82/

I saw that last night and I called them today.  "Yeah, we really need to update our web site."

Bummer.  I guess a long shot would be to called Teac North America and see if they've got any NOS collecting dust in the back?

+13237260303

8AM–12PM 1–5PM PST

Sad Teac/Tascam has abandoned the pro market.  Seems they basically are geared towards podcasters these days.

Yeah, I thought about calling them.  Thanks for the number.  And I don't understand them abandoning the pro market either.  I love my HS-P82s.

I used to drag around an Alesis HD24XR that Jim Williams modded for me, a Buzz Audio A-Rack and a couple of D.A.V. BG-8s.  Sounded incredible.  Then I borrowed an HS-P82.  And it sounded incredible and it's small and light.  Then I bought another one and chained them together.  Man, that's the way to do it.

No, you can't overdub with the Tascam.  The HD24XR is like a tape machine in every way with absolutely zero latency.  I still have all of that, and it does get used in an overdub situation.  But I charge big bucks to drag all that stuff out now.  It's heavy and I'm now 64.

IMG_0720.JPG

The Spanish listing is this one I think. Both recorder and control surface. Maybe you can persuade him/her to sell just the control surface.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/124981503007?hash=item1d197a641f:g:IwcAAOSwFwBhfpHk#viTabs_0

The seller mistyped the reference writing RC-P82 instead of RC-F82 but according to the photos it's the RC-F82.

Wow, looks like Tascam is in the middle of dumping the HS-P82 as well.  Pity, although I knew the time was coming.  It's an outstanding recorder, although it's dated.  (I hate that word.)  A little too big compared to the smaller Zoom plastic stuff, although I find the Tascam to have a bit of satisfying heft.  It was outflanked by the Sound Devices gear at the very top (and I have a 722) and Zoom on the cheap-out bottom side.

I'm trying to convince Rubber Monkey to sell me their RC-F82.  Rubber Monkey is being cautious, as they have marketing agreements with Tascam (all vendors do).  Protected territories and all that.  Tascam even has a post on their international site to try other countries for this unit.  I made the point that I'm probably the last person they'll find that will buy that unit - it's stranded assets that they're also paying taxes on.  The sales rep agreed to go to management and see what they say.  Man, take my money and run or you'll still have that thing on the shelf when the sun finally burns out.

Sigh - why are things so difficult?

It's a bummer but I kind of expected it was EOL given how there's been radio silence about it since the latest firmware update in I think 2016?  Personally I'm going to keep mine till it dies because even if I do a full upgrade to something else, it's still a very handy backup or even an 8 channel AES bit bucket (or AD converter!) so might as well keep it since it's a bit of a swiss army knife in that regard.

22 minutes ago, codyman said:

It's a bummer but I kind of expected it was EOL given how there's been radio silence about it since the latest firmware update in I think 2016?  Personally I'm going to keep mine till it dies because even if I do a full upgrade to something else, it's still a very handy backup or even an 8 channel AES bit bucket (or AD converter!) so might as well keep it since it's a bit of a swiss army knife in that regard.

Agreed - I have two of them in absolute mint condition.  They sound incredible and I'll drive the wheels off of mine.  The fact that I can jam-sync them to time code (if the gig has video) is just icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a brand new one - yep, Rubber Monkey in New Zealand.  It took some convincing to get them to sell it to me - protected sales territories and all that.  I sent them a couple of links to Tascam that showed the product as discontinued in the Americas and suggesting trying retailers on other continents and they finally agreed.  Very nice folks - they were just working the accepted process.

I believe they may have more of them, so if anyone is reading this who needs one, shoot them an email.  With the exchange rate, it worked out to around US $565.

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, borjam said:

a second hand HS-P82 including a RF82 control surface.

Both for €890.

Now that sadly the Zoom F Control is also discontinued (so you'd also have to have the hassle of source a secondhand one and/or old forgotten retail stock somewhere in the world), this Tascam recorder / control surface deal could be a good solid alternative to get. 

Just now, IronFilm said:

Now that sadly the Zoom F Control is also discontinued (so you'd also have to have the hassle of source a secondhand one and/or old forgotten retail stock somewhere in the world), this Tascam recorder / control surface deal could be a good solid alternative to get. 

Sold my HS-P82 and matching control surface for $1000 cash USD a year or two ago.  They're odd beasts with some quirks but they sound great.  Served me well but I spun that around into a great Sound Devices 788t deal (with Cl-8) and now I'm kinda bullish on getting another 788t to C-Link as I can use my PSC Solice Mini + a 788t with CL-8 summed into the "link" port to make a very analog yet capable 16 channel setup.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 9:14 AM, borjam said:

I was browsing the second hand inventory of a well known Spanish rental company (Ovide) and I stumbled upon a second hand HS-P82 including a RF82 control surface.

Both for €890.

https://www.ovide.com/segunda-mano/

Note that I am not affiliated to them, just thought someone might be interested.

Just want to pop in and say thanks to FM borjam! I've been hunting an RC-F82 for way too long and ended up getting this one.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:01 PM, standard said:

Just want to pop in and say thanks to FM borjam! I've been hunting an RC-F82 for way too long and ended up getting this one.

I'm glad the heads up was useful!