DPA or similar lav to headset conversion

osa

Is there a product by dpa or similar that might allow a standard lav to be converted to a headworn mic? I found the DPA d:fine Dual Earhook which looks like a replacement for existing dpa headset mics but cant seem to find the right headset config to drop a mic into and put the lav close to the mouth with a windscreen etc

Many of the professional 'Broadway' shows make their own headset 'frames' out of stainless steel 'piano' wire and attach normal Lav mics to them using either Hellermann Sleeves (short rubber tubes) or the smallest size monofilament fishing line using a whip-finisher tool. They do this rather than using the off-the-shelf headsets as the bespoke ones are more rugged, fit the performer they are made for better, and don't stick out the back of the head like the commercial ones as they don't need to be adjustable. The downside it that its a permanent build - not a drop-in and drop-out solution like I think you want. Point Source Audio make an ear-hook solution you can pop a lav in and out of, which is big, ugly and over-priced - but still not a headset per se. Sennheiser used to make exactly what I think you are asking for - a plastic headset frame that you could clip a MKE 2 lav into, and pop it back out in seconds, but they seem to be discontinued, and were only popular in Schools and such where the look of them was deemed to be acceptable. They were also designed for a slightly thicker cable than currently used on pro-level Lavs nowadays.

Thanks for the info. The project I was hoping to use these for is a corporate podcast series where in the past we just clipped lavs on the outside of lapels, but we did get occasional Mike bumps with animated talking. So the idea of custom making something jist might be the ticket. I might try to fabricate something since it seems to not be something readily available  

5 hours ago, Neil Bliss said:

For this sort of application, what gauge wire would work best?

I use K&S Precision Metals .025 (.64mm) Music Wire - available from Hobby stores. It's the thinnest I'd recommend and this particular brand is springy enough - don't go on size alone, maybe go one size thicker for your first attempts. I put clear heatshrink over the areas in contact with the back of the ear. Back in the days before such headsets were commercially available we used to make them out of Coat Hanger wire completely covered in heatshrink, with the mics taped on with Micropore. Very rugged but not that cool visually nowadays!

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Rick Reineke said:

I have a Sennheiser NB-2 universal headset which will hold most lavaliere mics. It is not super low profile though (like a Countryman H6),  if that is a requirement. I think it is discontinued but they can be found on eBay and some retailers may still have some.

Found an ebay deal on 4x of these - thx for recommending. I like how they are adjustable and since this is for audio only recordings i think they will do the job