Sony PCM-M10 gone haywire - any suggestions how to fix?

sonnenstudio

Dear Soundies,

Bought a used sony PCM-M10 as an additional backup recorder. Unfortunately, the thing has major problems, seems as if its operating system has gone haywire. When turning it on screen flickers between verious menu's, it randomly increases/decreases volume, runs through menu pages... Knobs either don't react or get "pressed" without me touching them.

video's here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nmq9TuorVXqwCiAOnfGJ6VKhtC5mCXzP?usp=sharing

I managed to re-format the internal disk, but this did not help

Any ideas what the problem could be?

thanks in advance  for any suggestions

Never having used one, I would bet that that wheel is the culprit. There's some junk back there tricking the wheel into thinking you're pressing it to make it scroll. It looks like an easy enough fix if you can open it up and clean it. You could use electronic cleaner if regular "Topz" or the likes wont do it

58 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Never having used one, I would bet that that wheel is the culprit. There's some junk back there tricking the wheel into thinking you're pressing it to make it scroll. It looks like an easy enough fix if you can open it up and clean it. You could use electronic cleaner if regular "Topz" or the likes wont do it

Yes, perhaps it has become humid once or dusty. That scale that remains inside may short circuit something. Could be a "stuck" button also. I would try to open the unit properly and clean all buttons and electronic contacts.