SD 744T vs Nagra VI

rstl99

Hi all,

I haven't done a lot of amateur recording in recent years, but am starting to get back into that hobby (music, natural sounds, etc.).

I still own a fully functional SD 744T, and some nice analog SQN mixers.

But I am a long-time Nagra fan (still own several of their analog 1/4" decks).

A Nagra VI kit has come up for sale.

I seem to recall that the VI can do a bit more than the 744, and some might say it might sound marginally better, but... I assume I can't get a lot for my 744 if I part with it to make room for the VI, and the VI on the used market is probably worth several times what a 744 can fetch.

Does it make any sense to move up to the VI, except to scratch a Nagra itch?

Regards.

It depends on what you want to record.  Do you need 4 mic amps (vs 2)?  The other input channels/tracks of the Nagra?  Is the size of the Nagra vs the 744 ok with you?  The cost of its accessories?    If you like the Nagra sound and operations and have the $ then why not?  No you won't get a lot of $ for your 744 anymore, it might be worth more to you to keep as a backup or for extra record channels (since it can take WC+TC from the Nagra).

Thanks Philip, nice hearing from you and appreciate your food for thought.

Yes I suppose occasionally 4 mic pre amps might be useful instead of just the 2 on the 744, however on several instances I would supplement the 744's 2 pres by plugging in 2 channels from one of my SQN mixers into the two line input channels on the 744.  Thereby winding up with 4 recorded tracks to play with in post-recording editing.  I was always very pleased with the lovely sound of the SQN mixer, almost preferred it to the mic pre's on my Nagra IV-S.  So the 744+SQN provided me with 4 nice recorded tracks.

The Nagra VI would give me 4 mic pre's in the box, so that would simplify things for 4 track recording.  Plus another 2 tracks (or is it 4 with firmware upgrade?) into which as you say I could patch in the 744, or the SQN if I want to go analog input for those extra ones.

It took me a while to get used to the 744 user interface, after recording for years on analog Nagras.  So the interface and controls of the VI remind me more of the classic Nagras, not so much like the small push-buttons on the SD 744.

Anyway, I'll think some more about my needs and envisioned future recording uses...

p.s. are Nagra VI's pretty stable as a second-hand purchase? (buying long-distance sight unseen, no possibility of returning)

Regards,

Personally I don't think its worth buying a Nagra VI nowadays.

The cost is just insane for a second hand recorder. Like what it is it 5K or something?

Personally I would consider buying a used 788T, at least you get 8 preamps, and they are going for as low as 1K nowadays.

Or if you're looking to move away from the SD preamp sound maybe have a look at the brand Sonosax, you can get some used Sonosax recorders quite cheap and they sound on par with Nagra VI or Aaton Cantars.

Thanks "sci", I like your thinking on this subject. 

Indeed a VI is still selling for a pretty steep price on the used market, and if you are right about street prices for used 788T's, SD brings a lot more "bang for the buck", if you take the Nagra aura out of the equation.

I'll also as you suggest look into used Sonosax recorders, which is a brand of pro recording gear I've always admired from the outside.

On the other hand, my little recording kit below (744 & Sqn) has given me much enjoyment in 4-track personal music recording over the last several years.

Regards.

744&sqn1.jpg

I used this combo for years - an SQN-4s modded with direct outs feeding a 744T with an SSD. Beautiful preamps & perfect MS controls on the SQN, both it and the 744T rock solid through many travels in all sorts of environments... but definitely on the heavy side, especially so with all the necessary cabling & powering. I was not alone in wishing for SQN to make the jump into an all in one mixer / recorder... They had already reduced the size, it would have been stellar.

But I agree with the above suggestion to check out Sonosax. And along with info found on this forum, there is another  - gearspace.com ( formerly gearslutz.com) - where you can find posts by many who specialize in location recording of classical / acoustic music . And a few converts from the Nagra VI to Sonosax's SX-R4+ ... reading your post I think it will provide some fun reading and gear-slutzing... here's but one link to start: https://gearspace.com/board/all-things-technical/1264765-sonosax-mic-preamps-opinions.html

Good luck & have fun -:)

Thanks Petersont, indeed the 744 and SQN was/is for me an interesting marriage of analog and digital (however, it all ends up in the "bit bucket").  I agree it makes for a bit of a heavy kit for some purposes, that SQN is one densely packed and impressively made machine, in my mind.  Too bad as you say that SQN never decided to make the jump into an all in one solution.

I do check check out gearspace so will look more into the chats there about different solutions, including the Sonosax.

Indeed, it's all about having fun at this point, not a money-making necessity for me.

Regards.