Wisycom MTP60

Mattias Larsen

image.jpeg

So it finally came. 

1st impressions, it feels nice , not that big as some people said it would be. a bit heavy but the kind of heavy that makes you, as the owner, secure. it's not a big deal for the talent, I hope I wont get into divas, but im mostly on doc gigs.. it's well built with rounded corners it will make concealing a bit more easy I presume....

It is supplied with 4 antennas (lemo 1 pin) at different frequencies.

the menuing is clear, the OLED screen is comfortable, much more visible and readable than the old MTP40, the navigation is pleasant and well done.

I haven't had a chance to test it in the field yet but I will make further observations once my next corporate shoot is over (will have my trusty lectros around just to be sure because new stuff is always scary but i feel confident)

I am right now testing the battery life with nimh IKEA LADDA rechargeable batteries. 

You can swap the battery time display between percentage or time remaining, for now I have tested with time remaining and am monitoring to see how accurate it is.

I had a bit of trouble opening the battery compartment, but once you get the hang of it it's ok. definitely need to brief your boom op or asisstant before shooting so they can practice on it because you can loose a fair amount of time sorting this out the 1st time. wich is a good thing on the other side, talents will not be able to mess with it easily.

once the battery door unlocked you can see a usb c port, and a mini sd card port. my next test will be to do a continuous recording with TC and the RF power at 100 mW to see how long it takes the nimh battery to drain, and if the audio file is safe when it shuts down du to loss of power.

if you have any questions i will try to reply to them. 

Wonderful! Looking forward to your field test, hope to get hands on mine soon too. I am curious to see how well the recorded 32bit float(?) files perform as well.

I hope that autopick as well as remote TC jam gets nailed down soon. Sounds like the app for remote capabilities such as frequency, gain and recording are just weeks away according to Leslies Instagram.

• 1 month later...

Seems there's issues with battery telemetry now; showing ''depleted'' batts that are not and different percentages from full batts. 

Apparently, the Bluetooth app's coming soon though 👍

igomarsound:

how did it go with battery times and about files if recording is interrupted ? 

• 1 month later...

I have only used them 3 days in the field so far. What has surprised me a bit has been "bleed" from tx to multiple rx channels if they are tuned tight and the corresponding channels TX is not on. If the corresponding TX is on but muted, there is no bleed from other channels, so its probably not much of an issue in practice if everything is up and running. Seems as my unit wasnt loaded with all freq charts, so might be better once I have looked into that.

The somewhat heavy MTP60 is a lot less intrusive than I thought it would be. Had interviewees two days in a row that forgot they were wearing a mic, so it cant be that bad in normal circumstances in lets say docu work, but may be a challenge for some outfits in narrative filmmaking.

The guide for the app is out, so it should be fairly close. Appearently TC is still a bit off in latest FW, so I havent updated yet. Been very stable radio link on 20mw so far. Only dropout I have had was when talent went to a break two houses apart, and only ever so slightly.

It will be dope when all the bells and whistles come together, but until then, it does the fundamentals really good.

Just started testing the new BT app for the 60. Ok, very early/first impression - holy crap!! Instantly paired with my MYP60s, individual control over almost every function! Best features:
- Name transmitter (talent name)
- watch level and set gain
- Turn TX power on/off
- Turn Rec on/off (change scene/takes as well)
- Mute/Unmute
- Global (all TX) Mute/Rec/Tx Pwr toggles

So far... impressed!

7662B790-B9A0-450B-B82C-A9ACCCF9ABB6.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

So just FYI. I ran the MTP60 at max gain settings and screamed into a DPA4060. Sounded horrible on the recording of course, but it was indeed 32 bit float (float was not advised in the manual, so had to give it a try that it was not just a gimmick as with rode) and it was possible to pull down the gain in post, so that is a bit of a safety net if talents get super loud and we mess up the levels at our recorder we can in worst case pull the cards.

image.pngimage.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Anyone has tested the PHA60 with the MTP60 for a wireless boom?

Very curious to know how it handles power hungry mikes as the PHA48 was quite bad in that regard.

Specs gives: Phantom power 41 ± 2V @ 5 mA

That is just 1mA more than the PHA48 but now should be ok for a Schoeps CMIT5 (4.4mA).

At least the design is much more interesting and at least practical for a boom.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am replying to myself after my first week and a half shoot with the MTP60+MCR54  and the PHA60

I used the wireless boom much less than colleagues in the usa but when we did use the mtp60+ PHA60 with a Schoeps CMC6 mk41 or minicmit, we both, my assistant and I were very pleased.

Sound is pretty decent, actually good. 

No problem whatsoever occurred and mikes seemed to be powered seamlessly.

the overall weight can be a turnoff for sound people used to Zaxcom ZMT4 or even audio ltd A10, but unlike with the lastest, It worked like a charm indoor from distant rooms as well as outdoor.

the battery telemetry of the mtp60 is still behaving weirdly so we changed batteries more often than probably necessary, but no sudden shutdown.

I did not tried the recording option yet.

The Bluetooth control of the tx is such a breeze! No more bothering actors for gain or frequencies changes, I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, humbuk said:

Can you tell me what the real battery life of a 50mW transmitter is (Ikea Ladda or Panasonic Eneloop)? And what effect does recording on/off have on the battery? Thank you very much.

I use Eneloop pro (new ones) and I need to change them in the course of the day, but I never actually pushed to the point the tx goes off. Nor did I have time to test. The battery telemetry is not yet accurate and can be quite misleading. Sometimes back from lunch break it can read 70% so I do not change them , then just after half an hour it is down to 10%;

So I would say 4 to 5 hours continuously on with 20mW and 3 to 4 hours with 50mW tx. Again because I wanna be safe and changing as soon as they display 10%. I have  not use recording. Adding the PH60+ schoeps cmc6+mk41 last more around 3 hours in 50mW.

Indoor or outdoor and no obstacle the 20mW is working good (antennas Betso active, MCR54rx and SL2).

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, PMC said:

It is called LTC. Used to use it frequently in the olden days

Well, trust me, it's still in use today. A LOT.

17 hours ago, PMC said:

efore I had access to machines with VITC

Elaborate please, as I have NO CLUE what you are talking about.
VITC is Vertical Interval TimeCode, that means inserting TC in video, ment to read at normal speed (or if you had a slomo capable VCR at speeds up to 2x normal)

17 hours ago, PMC said:

Of course you have to have an NLE that accepts LTC.

Why would that be, as there are plenty tools around that can convert LTC to metadata, I sell one of those.

Who are you?

Bouke

Hello. Thought you all may be interested in my MTP60/PHA60 experience and would like to know if any others share some of this.

After waiting 8-months my PHA60 arrived. Immediately I was able to hear a considerable amount of interference and a constant, rapid ticking sound. The interference varied depending on bunch of factors, but primarily the MTP60 display coming on/dimming and going dark (standby). The ticking was always present. After considerable testing/recording and reporting to Wisycom, they very quickly replaced my PHA60.

Second PHA is absolutely silent except for the rapid ticking. After again reporting this to a seemingly baffled Wisycom, I posted to Reddit and the Facebook Wisy user group and almost  immediately I received replies that the ticking is bluetooth related. Sure enough after turning bluetooth off on the MTP60 the ticking vanished.

I've extensively tested the MTP60/PHA60 against my MTB40 plug-on and they sound almost identical. The 60/60 combo using the ENS compander slightly edges out the MTB. Where things diverge is battery life and range.

Battery life using the little lithium pack is more than double the life of the MTB with Enaloop Pros at all power levels. Double also for distance with the 60/60 getting twice the range of the MTB connected to my 50/416 using a short XLR leed.

Of course the main differentiation for me in Canada is the ability to record and transmit at the same time. This is a fantastic option for the boom. I did a super lightweight "boom only" job using the 60's built in recorder and sent monitor audio wirelessly to my headphones and director from the 60.

No bag!

But no solution yet from Wisy (after three months) on the bluetooth issue. Shame really as it would be nice to be able to toggle recording/set gain etc from the app. But the boom is close at hand.. 

Anyone else experiencing 60/60 combo issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Bouke,

Who am I? I am a guy who has been shooting, recording and editing professionally since 1978. I am a dinosaur. I grew up with Quad tape, uMatic tape then Betacam and 1 inch tape era. All VITC. Now it's digital cinema. Definitely not VITC anymore but not LTC either.

I actually can't say what kind of TC digital cinema cameras record other than the fiddly meta data. Of course vertical interval data was a thing with the long dead NTSC TV standard (we lovingly referred to it as Never The Same Color).

Adobe, currently, doesn't accept an audio track TC signal (what used to be called LTC). I have software from Tentecle that can deal with it but it is just easier to sync sound and multi cam timelines referencing my TC slate when shooting with GoPros, FS7, mirrorless cams, etc.

Kent

@ waterlonorm: Battery life using the little lithium pack is more than double the life of the MTB with Enaloop Pros at all power levels. Double also for distance with the 60/60 getting twice the range of the MTB connected to my 50/416 using a short XLR leed.

Hello, 
I also have a question about the and batteries with the mtp60.
last week the comboset mcr 54 + 4 MTP60 arrived and wanted to use the Xtar AA lithium 1.5 v 3300 mwh batteries only they do not work with the mtp60.
Basically do not work lithium aa akkus?

and then the next question about the akkupack MPRLBP.
does anyone use them and how long do they last at 50mw?
how do I charge the MPRLBP since there is no charger from wiscom or not available 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

So just FYI. I ran the MTP60 at max gain settings and screamed into a DPA4060. Sounded horrible on the recording of course, but it was indeed 32 bit float (float was not advised in the manual, so had to give it a try that it was not just a gimmick as with rode) and it was possible to pull down the gain in post, so that is a bit of a safety net if talents get super loud and we mess up the levels at our recorder we can in worst case pull the cards.

image.pngimage.png

this is really good to know - thanks for sharing! 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, Fred Salles said:

Hi, just a little note after the end of the shoot about power consumption: (with the enelooop pro but with others too) the battery meter can stay at 10% for quite a long time and then it shows 0% and still you have time for the end of the take and change them. 

awesome insight!