low to no cost USB control surface for SD 8-series

PCMsoundie

Shure the CL-16 is the cadillac. The Icon Platform M+ is fine if quirky for $650.

Has any musicians on here who happen to own an old MIDI fader surface tried to use it?  

For the purpose of this idea:

8 faders only. motorized faders not required. So accessing ONLY 8 INPUTs on a 8-series device.
with a MIDI to USB converter? as a USB control surface ?
I was just wondering if _AT_NO_COST_ anyone got something working for USB Control Surface with linear faders?

I know officially 

The Scorpio, 833, and 888 support the ubiquitous MCU (Mackie Control Universal) protocol which many USB-connected control surfaces use. Currently the following USB control surfaces are supported:
Behringer X-TOUCH
iCON Platform M+ (w D2 Display)
iCON Platform X+
iCON Platform B+
Mackie MCU Pro
Sonosax SX-LC8+
Sound Devices CL-12
Sound Devices CL-16

Since some here are musicians and may already have one and it would only cost you a MIDI to USB adapter

Has anyone tried:

USB and DIN MIDI Controller 4 Faders 4 knob programmable CC#/Range DAW/SYNTH
eBay for $80. 

Novation Launch Control XL MIDI USB Ableton Live Controller with HUI Integratio
$159.

Worlde EasyControl.9 Portable Mini USB 9 Slim-Line Control MIDI Controller
B2Y7  $50.

Btuty Portable Mini USB 9 Slim-Line Control MIDI Controller Keyboard Controller (same?)
$65. 

very old 
JLCooper ES-8/100 MIDI -RS232  Motorized Fader Controller with 8 Faders
eBay for $220. heavy weight
and a cheap $20. MIDI to USB adapter

JLCooper FaderMaster MIDI OUT eBay

not a 15-year old old heavy Behringer B-Control Fader BCF2000 on eBay for $200.  

FaderFox UC3 $249.99
http://faderfox.de/uc3.html

older
http://lividinstruments.com/products/alias8/
Livid DS1 MIDI $345. used

the Novation Launch control XL says “You can even control all MIDI-compatible iOS music software; all you need is a Camera Connection Kit.”

imagine using it with D Remote on iOS…

oh 16 faders? 
this company makes a 16 linear fader MIDI hardware unit for $350. (Yes only 60mm throw faders…)

XVI Desktop USB 16 Channel Fader Bank with CV, I2C, and MIDI

https://michigansynthworks.com/products/xvi-desktop-usb-16-channel-fader-bank-with-cv-i2c-and-midi

I’m working on a custom controller for myself for the MixPre ii. The way it is set up, it checks the USB PID and VID to see if it is one of the 3 controllers it supports, and then implements MIDI mappings based on that. If you plug a USB MIDI device that doesn’t have those PIDs it simply does not recognise that it has a control surface plugged in.

It wouldn’t be that hard to build a USB MIDI pass through device with a Teensy with the USB host shield, or simply using the MIDI in schematic on the PJRC MIDI library webpage. You could even change MIDI mappings to whatever you wanted, therefore using any controller you liked with the 8 series.

I’ll post photos of my project when it looks prettier.

9 minutes ago, Riley McCullagh said:

I’m working on a custom controller for myself for the MixPre ii. The way it is set up, it checks the USB PID and VID to see if it is one of the 3 controllers it supports, and then implements MIDI mappings based on that. If you plug a USB MIDI device that doesn’t have those PIDs it simply does not recognise that it has a control surface plugged in.

It wouldn’t be that hard to build a USB MIDI pass through device with a Teensy with the USB host shield, or simply using the MIDI in schematic on the PJRC MIDI library webpage. You could even change MIDI mappings to whatever you wanted, therefore using any controller you liked with the 8 series.

I’ll post photos of my project when it looks prettier.

Do it!  Sounds great!

I’m anxious to see if anyone can implement this midi mapping to allow the CM Labs MotorMix controller to work with the 8 series. I have one and it’s awesome. You can get them cheap and daisy chain them together to have more channels. Beats buying a whole new control surface if you already own one. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the 888 to control faders 9-16 WITHOUT using a tablet or phone in the field for a bag setup can a lightweight tiny Korg nanoKontrol2 ($79.) be used velcroed to a bag and still have access to the 888’s rotary faders for inputs 1-8?

it would give Volume/Pan/Mute/Solo per channel. 
with the Korg Kontrol Software possibly you can remap the pan to trim so you would have gain per input on a knob.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokontrol2/