camera mic / top mic

wysey

Knowing the camera would also help determine which mic might work best. There are lots of options for DSLR mounted mics these days, but if you are using say a Sony FS7, that opens up possibilities for short shotguns and the like, whereas you may have a more difficult time on a Red camera, because all mounting options have to be added on, and their form factors are usually not very ergonomic. 

I've used quite a lot. To make it short stereo for the pov of the camera is interesting as the stereo effect gives you some more "intelligibility" of speach than mono (IMHO). It won't ever replace a boom or Lav on a talent but it's a very good starting point. "Point of sound" is as important as point of view.

I've used Rode Stereo video mix X

Sennheiser MKE 400

Sanken Tiny Mike

Now I use a couple of Schoeps CCM8/CCM41 in a Cinela Leo MS with a Sonosax M2D2 preamp that goes out to the minijack input of my DSLR Sony A7s3 and am very pleased with the reliability (no need of mixing due to the HDR of the preamps and the Compressor/limiter) and the resuting sound. Not cheap though (6000$)

I do use this setup also on my RED Weapon Monstro Camera.

Some other solutions to be investigated is the impressive DPA4097 Shotgun

Patrick

Thanks for you replys

The camera is a  black magic Ursa so full xlr phantom options.  I was already researching the AT875R. The pricepoint is amazing and apparently they're a surprisingly good sounding mic and importantly compact!

Patrick as amazing a setup you have im not looking to spend much. I'll be the recordist on the days and doing mid side / xy effects tracks for most locations. Post however would like a on camera mic as there. multiple cameras and one soundo. 

Thanks again. What a great forum

A couple months ago, I bought a Sanken CS-M1. About 100mm (4-inches) long, supercardioid, sounds good. Also, US$900. Perhaps more than you want to spend, but it also works on a boom. 🙂 I like compact size; so do camera operators. Can you swing by a place and compare something like the CS-M1, the AT875, and something from your homies at Rode?

https://www.sankenmicrophones.com/production/shotgun/cs-m1/

csm1.png

4 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

A couple months ago, I bought a Sanken CS-M1. About 100mm (4-inches) long, supercardioid, sounds good. Also, US$900. Perhaps more than you want to spend, but it also works on a boom. 🙂 I like compact size; so do camera operators. Can you swing by a place and compare something like the CS-M1, the AT875, and something from your homies at Rode?

https://www.sankenmicrophones.com/production/shotgun/cs-m1/

I have a pair of these, They've become my primary mic for documentary interview shoots (Axios on HBO, ESPN, and several others) I don't know if I can stomach "wasting" it as a camera mic. I have a Deity Smic 2S relegated for that duty when the cam doesn't have their own. (I'd suggest getting the short version, that didn't exist when I bought mine)