The 833 Can Now Do 12 ISO's Via A Paid Plugin

codyman

Very cool. I was really on the fence about getting an 888 or 833. I have a 788T and 633, and for years now they have served me well on the cart and in the bag. These days, I’ve been doing much more small track count bag work, but wanted a bit more flexibility than a 633. Between the 833 and 888, there wasn’t much advantage over a 788T in terms of inputs. But I need to keep a low profile, small bag 90% of the time. So I went with the 833. This plugin gives me the option to be able to expand that other 10% of the time without having to bring a second recorder out. 

1 minute ago, JonG said:

Very cool. I was really on the fence about getting an 888 or 833. I have a 788T and 633, and for years now they have served me well on the cart and in the bag. These days, I’ve been doing much more small track count bag work, but wanted a bit more flexibility than a 633. Between the 833 and 888, there wasn’t much advantage over a 788T in terms of inputs. But I need to keep a low profile, small bag 90% of the time. So I went with the 833. This plugin gives me the option to be able to expand that other 10% of the time without having to bring a second recorder out. 

We're in a very similar boat.  My 633 has been used by me 95%+ of the time these last five years and every once in a while, I have to dust off my (Wildcard!) Tascam HS-P82.  I've been kicking tires on whether to upgrade to an 833 or 888 but now it seems like an 833 with SL-2 will be a great start and down the road if I get a feature, I'll pay for the plugin.

12 hours ago, ProSound said:

...8 Channels of wireless plus ability to AES in or Analog in 4 more channels makes the machine a even better value 

I understood that you cannot run both the SL2 and the XL-AES accesories at the same time since they use the same connector. Did I miss something or you are referring to another way to get aes inputs?

thanks.

Back to topic, I always wondered why Sound Devices only fitted the 833 with 8 iso ch only. 

Now I know...

15 hours ago, boop said:

What others are you referring to?

None just Wisycom

6 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

I understood that you cannot run both the SL2 and the XL-AES accesories at the same time since they use the same connector. Did I miss something or you are referring to another way to get aes inputs?

You are correct however the SL2 has AES inputs on the back of it 

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 10.08.58 AM.png

On 12/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, codyman said:

We're in a very similar boat.  My 633 has been used by me 95%+ of the time these last five years and every once in a while, I have to dust off my (Wildcard!) Tascam HS-P82.  I've been kicking tires on whether to upgrade to an 833 or 888 but now it seems like an 833 with SL-2 will be a great start and down the road if I get a feature, I'll pay for the plugin.

Exactly my thoughts as well. The 833 when launched fixed everything "wrong" about the 633 (and is why I didn't get a 633 during the 6 Series Era), and now the 833 is the perfect mixer/recorder for someone who does mostly bag work (be that 65% or 95%) but needs "a bit extra" for the minority of the time they need a more fully featured machine for cart work.

The 833 is the perfect fit for that dual role of covering both bases, for those of us living with one foot in each camp of bag/cart world. (of course in an ideal world, I'd own both an 833 and a Scorpio! But a Scorpio is a total overkill luxury for where I'm at currently) 

While the 833 hasn't yet caught up to the channel count of the 833's main competitors in the small sized mixer niche (i.e. the Nova & SX-R4+, which can both do 16 ISOs. Or even Sound Devices' own MixPre10, which has a higher ISO count than the 833 initially had!), the gap as been closed enough I do feel better about my 833 purchase. 

On 12/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, boop said:

Hey @ProSound… slightly OT but I’ve missed the news on 4 channel RX other than the Wisy, and can’t find info on any others. What others are you referring to?

cheers!

There is nothing official out yet, but I'm certain Wisycom won't be the only player forever with a Superslot quad receiver. 

Remember this from SD's Facebook page in June?

Hello Sound Devices family. Due to global semiconductor shortages, we have sadly been forced to put production of the 833 and MixPre-3 II on a temporary hold. We expect we will be able to restart manufacturing the 833 in November. We don’t have a restart date for the MixPre-3 II yet but we will let you know as soon as possible.

The MixPre-3 II and 833 are not being discontinued. We will continue manufacturing them as soon as our parts arrive! 

I'm not trying to throw shade, but looks like 833s are still backordered at some usual-suspects dealers. Has anyone seen any official word from Sound Devices on when they will (or did) start making the 833 again? Is it mentioned in the video (which I obviously haven't yet watched)?

19 hours ago, ProSound said:

You are correct however the SL2 has AES inputs on the back of it 

Thanks for pointing that out, I did not know (only used th SL6 so far).

Am I the only one with the bitter feeling that this should be part of a free update and not an extra cost plug-in?

Sorry to bring up this debate again, it took me time to get over it regarding the noise reduction features, I  now understand that these were third parties properties or extra r&d work. But for these 12 isos it will be hard for me to believe it required a lot of r&d since this was  already implemented in the other machines of the series. I am not a programmer but this is not a special feature, it brings the machine to its full or higher potential, and level it with other machines in the same range already capable of such. That is what an update is all about isn’t it ?

20 minutes ago, Fred Salles said:

Am I the only one with the bitter feeling that this should be part of a free update and not an extra cost plug-in?

I would certainly feel this way if I had a 833. I am a happy user of a mixpre10t and have considered 833 from time to time, but availible Isos have been about the same and the energy consumption a lot more. Sure, there are a lot more to it, but from my understanding the FPGAs are a big reason for the extra energy consumption, and if users then have to pay to take full use of it from what can be seen as "updates" ie more isos (not speaking of upgrades such as cedar) it certainly feels a bit odd. Makes you look at other brands that increases the value proposition by including more isos and features etc in the fw updates.

But hey, also it seems like 90% really praise this possibility - so we might be in minority.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, Shastapete said:

Zaxcom upgraded all Novas from 12 channels to 16 channels for free

They learned that bitter lesson from the Nomad years, I guess. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, Fred Salles said:

I‘m sure you are not the only one. I can understand and relate to your sentiment, but for me it’s a different perspective. The whole thing is moving towards a more modular approach. You pick and choose what you need and want, with the option of upgrading later when you need it, and not pay  for  features you don’t need. It better to know this in advance so you can pick the right package for you, but it’s not all perfect….

On 12/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Remember this from SD's Facebook page in June?

I'm not trying to throw shade, but looks like 833s are still backordered at some usual-suspects dealers. Has anyone seen any official word from Sound Devices on when they will (or did) start making the 833 again? Is it mentioned in the video (which I obviously haven't yet watched)?

I had heard during the summer that production would resume in November. However I haven’t heard if it ever did or not. I did notice that some of the usual suspects did get a small amount in stock so maybe it’s on a smaller scale run. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:30 AM, Fred Salles said:

Probably not, but what would be the incentive for a company to develop new things (and pay their employees for making it happen) unless they can make money out of it?

I'm pretty sure that most people who originally purchased an 833 never expected they would need more than the machine was capable of. Otherwise, they would have gone with the 888 or a Scorpio. Honestly - how many 833 owners here use the original full capacity regularly? And if you really need this upgrade, you should be able to charge appropriately for your services and equipment package, therefore should also be able to support a company that makes the tools you use to make money. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Probably not, but what would be the incentive for a company to develop new things (and pay their employees for making it happen) unless they can make money out of it?

I'm pretty sure that most people who originally purchased an 833 never expected they would need more than the machine was capable of. Otherwise, they would have gone with the 888 or a Scorpio. Honestly - how many 833 owners here use the original full capacity regularly? And if you really need this upgrade, you should be able to charge appropriately for your services and equipment package, therefore should also be able to support a company that makes the tools you use to make money. 

This is where I'm at.. 833 and Scorpio. I think I've put a 3rd RX in my 833 bag, maybe 4-5 times?? Never ever thought about needing more than 6 tracks in my bag. It's nice to have that option though.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:51 AM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Mmm how about selling more 833?

But beside that, it is actually more about what the machine was not capable of. I understood the 833 allowed an amount of at least 12 inputs (6 analog inputs and up to 8 digital from the SL2, not counting the returns) but was not capable of iso record them all. The ability offered now seems to me more like fixing a lack than actually creating a new feature.

Now I understand your point and Constantin’s but I was actually hoping for this upgrade to come out in a new firmware before buying the 833. Since I can’t afford 2 machines I was thinking of the 833 for my documentary works and as a backup machine for feature films. In my rather over optimistic mind it seemed the software ability was already developed for the 888 and Scorpio so I was hoping it would come as a free upgrade for the 833 when Sound Devices would need to boost its sale 😅

Anyway, releasing it as a paid plugin kind of push us into speculating about whether or not that feature required a lot of new development work.

So you can imagine the kind of speculation a producer would legitimately go through if we say “ok my machine has X inputs, but I have to charge you more if you want me to record them all”...

The comparison with the producer is kind of invalid... If they ask for X amount of inputs/wireless you charge accordingly. If you don't own it, you rent it to get the job done right?

The fact that it's a paid plug in tells me that it was probably not initially designed for 12 ISO's and took some R&D to make happen...Otherwise it might have been free. The 833 didn't work with the CL16 either.

The way I look at is that if it was designed like that to begin with it would have cost $1000 more... I probably wouldn't have bought it if that were the case. It's nice to have it available if I need it tho.

Not to pick on anyone but at least you don't need a $110 adapter to plug in a USB keyboard to your mixer. Region capture 2.png

I guess there are different ways to look at this. If it were a free upgrade some 888 owners might be annoyed because suddenly the feature gap closed.

as for charging more rental for extra channels, I would have thoughts this is already common.

If somebody hires me for a one channel interview and I bring my 10 track recorder since that‘s what I have at hand, I will charge less rental for that recorder then if hired to do a 10 channel show.

4 hours ago, chrismedr said:

I guess there are different ways to look at this. If it were a free upgrade some 888 owners might be annoyed because suddenly the feature gap closed.

as for charging more rental for extra channels, I would have thoughts this is already common.

If somebody hires me for a one channel interview and I bring my 10 track recorder since that‘s what I have at hand, I will charge less rental for that recorder then if hired to do a 10 channel show.

I can see charging more for more wireless, but to use more inputs/tracks on your mixer/recorder?

Well, imagine I had a cantar (I don‘t : )  so I would probably charge something like 150eur for a single day rental. Now sombody asks me if you could do a simple interview, one boom, one track.

I could easily do that with a low cost recorder, but maybe the cantar is the only recorder I have, or I simply prefer using it over something like a MixPre-3. so I would bring the cantar but only charge the equivalent what a good 1 channel recorder would rent for.

Charging for the full cantar price seems kinda wrong (plus, I probably wouldn‘t get the job if I tried)

I don't see an issue with charging more for a rental if you can handle more tracks than a "basic kit" recorder.  That may be part of the modular approach as well.   I'd guess that this upgrade cost SD some serious coder-hours, so they charge for it.  My rough survey of current 833 owners (I  don't have one) told me that they all thought the possibility of the upgrade was cool but they they didn't have any immediate plans to do it--they didn't need that many channels for the sort of work they use that machine for (right now).