The 833 Can Now Do 12 ISO's Via A Paid Plugin

codyman

10 hours ago, mradlauer said:

The fact that it's a paid plug in tells me that it was probably not initially designed for 12 ISO's and took some R&D to make happen...Otherwise it might have been free.

Or the engineers designed in a DSP overhead to allow plugins to expand the box's capabilities, enabling another revenue stream. At the end of the day these recorders are a niche product and many folks hold on to their boxes for years. While the push into the prosumer market with the MixPre line has probably done well for the bottom line, getting pros to pay for upgrades to hardware will also put more money in the bank. I don't mean this as a criticism of SD, I think it's just the reality of trying to make money in between major product releases.

1 hour ago, Allen Rowand said:

Or the engineers designed in a DSP overhead to allow plugins to expand the box's capabilities, enabling another revenue stream. At the end of the day these recorders are a niche product and many folks hold on to their boxes for years. While the push into the prosumer market with the MixPre line has probably done well for the bottom line, getting pros to pay for upgrades to hardware will also put more money in the bank. I don't mean this as a criticism of SD, I think it's just the reality of trying to make money in between major product releases.

I think you are correct in a lot of ways.. and to take that a step further.. I would rather pay for a plug-in and a small piece of add-on gear to accomplish a new task as opposed to buying a whole new unit.

I think this puts some distance between major product releases because there is so much scalability already there... Which in turn makes the long term investment into them mixer a win for the consumer.

They don't have to reinvent their wheel..You can just put new tires on it whenever you want. :)

Woaw, $950....reminds me the beginning of the 2000s when it was ok to charge a 1000 dollars for one fancy plugins on protools. Nowadays, you'll probably have a whole suite of plugins for less. Does this indicate that in the future, machine sofware upgrades are going to be released as paid plugins ? 😅 Cannot also wait for the monthly subcription software upgrade to be implemented in our fied of work

So today the 833 sells for $5200. When it was first released I believe it sold for $3700 or thereabouts? In the new year SD apparently up their prices again by some 20%. That would increase the price to about $6240. So if you bought it back then, and now spend the extra $950, you'd get a more powerful recorder and still would have paid considerably less than that recorder would cost new today. I guess that's only little consolation, but still might be worth to bear in mind

It's just me but I think that $250 for each addition channel would seem a bit steep.  But SD has always been a good value and like Constantine says, if you already have an 888, and need more tracks?  What?  Sell it and but a different machine?  So maybe more folks than I think will go for it.

There is always, in my case, a manufacturer (nameless) that wants to charge me $500 for two LED meter boards because the original boards were defect.  Now that irked me.  :(

D.

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

So today the 833 sells for $5200. When it was first released I believe it sold for $3700 or thereabouts?

At the new price point, might as well consider a Sonosax since they are almost the same price plus you get those legendary swiss preamps.

12 hours ago, Constantin said:

In the new year SD apparently up their prices again by some 20%. That would increase the price to about $6240. 

I believe $5200 is with the 2022 price hike, unless there was an official announcement in the last few days and are going to increase it again in a few months. Last week I noticed the price hike of the 833 go up from around $4700ish from memory, as well as all other 8-series and MixPre IIs getting price bumps. In a thread I brought this up, and some said chip supply seems to be one factor, and some brought up new owners potentially trying to increase profit margins. 

To add my thoughts on the 833 plugin. (Coming from someone who is only dreaming of owning one right now) It seems as though this is just taking advantage of shared hardware between the 833 and 888, with some development to adjust to the 833 controls. If both of them have the same recorder chip, and this is not a massive R&D task, then this seems a bit overpriced, for $400-500 I could totally see it.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, codyman said:

At the new price point, might as well consider a Sonosax since they are almost the same price plus you get those legendary swiss preamps.

Sure, of course you should always consider all options before buying a new recorder. I don’t actually use preamps much these days, so that is not quite as important to me. In terms of usability or features  the 833 is miles ahead

On 12/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Unison SoundWRKS said:

I believe $5200 is with the 2022 price hike

That quite possible, I don’t follow their prices regularly. That notwithstanding the general point I was trying to make still holds

I purchased an 833 when first available, so it was less expensive, but the warranty how now expired.  I have some concerns that if this expansion update is purchased as well as others  for noise reductions, that I will be adding to the cost significantly of a device where these add ons are not transferrable and if service is needed for some reason it might be very expensive, and thus users will be left in an awkward position.  Perhaps SD should consider extending the warranty for an additional year when paid upgrades to capability are purchased, or offer extended warranties as a paid option in this circumstance?  I know from experience and reputation that these devices are very robust, but that is another reason that SD could make such an offer, since their overall risk is pretty low.