Steam

osa

Has anyone here run into wardrobe dept steaming blouses directly on talent? Seems insane to me as i would think there is a risk of burning talent. Not to mention, steaming my transmitter! This wardrobe person seemed like a veteran in the business but in 20 years of sound mixing i have never seen this happen. Truly a first for everything, and now i know to watch for it in the future. Transmitter was totally fine once i got it home taken apart and dried out but the amount of moisture inside was like talent jumped in the pool. Last shot of the day and did not get a chance to talk to wardrobe as I didn’t really discover the extent until i got home

Yes I have seen it, a small hand steamer the wardrobe person was using in between takes on a costume that got crusty each time the talent was sitting in frame. it was just a small area and she pulled the costume away from the body of the talent and so away from the tx . She saw me coming the first time she did it but as I noticed it was away from the transmitter we just smiled to each other, she clearly knew what she was doing 😌

• 2 months later...

I tried to use this transmitter on a job recently and it powered up and showed transmission but stayed red at the receiver no matter what I did. Completely my own fault and I should have seen this coming. I received a report back from Zaxcom that this particular transmitter had too much corrosion and could not be repaired. I am very lucky in this case though as the job was for a local client and they are helping me still with reimbursement for the replacement and they are also grateful for being made aware of the full details.

I did all tricks for this particular transmitter with taking it apart, fans, rice etc but my biggest failure was not sending in right away or calling it a total loss right away. I am told by AC's anything other than distilled water leaves deposits inside electronics and sometimes it is only luck that helps avoid problems over time.

Just wanted to share to help others keep an eye out the moment wardrobe goes to plug in that steamer... I know I will be on the lookout from now on.

-Ken