Sound Devices price increase?

Unison SoundWRKS

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had heard any news on why all the Sound Devices recorders got a price bump in the last few days? Im guessing its related to the ongoing shortage, but I was just wondering if there was an official announcement? Im looking to buy the MixPre 10 as my first personal recorder early next year (goodbye Zoom F-Series rentals!) and got a bit bummed out seeing this. The MixPre II Series was originally cheaper than the first gen and now its back to being the same price. Do you guys anticipate they will continuing to increase in price? 

-Jacques 

Unfortunately, the prices on most things keep going up.  Some manufacturers have tried to maintain prices for as long as they could and others even gave very public warnings of many weeks or months before.  But SD seemed to raise their prices annually(maybe a little longer…), anyway.  Whether it’s the same percentage jump that you just saw, I don’t know, but I just got used to seeing their prices increase pretty much year-over-year. In the past, I’ve even bought (pre-ordered) their gear at launch and by the time it actually started shipping a few months later, they had already increased prices.

Very frustrating in general how prices of everything are out of control.  $4.59 a gallon to fill up the work van, increased cost of living etc etc.  I want to upgrade to an 833 but haven't the prices gone up almost $1000 since they were introduced just a couple years ago?  25%?  Clients aren't paying me 25% more that's for sure.

23 hours ago, codyman said:

Very frustrating in general how prices of everything are out of control.  $4.59 a gallon to fill up the work van, increased cost of living etc etc.  I want to upgrade to an 833 but haven't the prices gone up almost $1000 since they were introduced just a couple years ago?  25%?  Clients aren't paying me 25% more that's for sure.

I remember seeing the 833 for 3700€ (no VAT) two years ago, it's 5000€ now. Looking at what has been added (for free) to the bare recorder: Yes they added some cool bells and whistles, but also a lot of fixes and things that already existed on their older series. None of these things justify a 1.3k price bump imo, even calculating in inflation and chip shortages. I was strongly considering the 833 with the extra channels option now, but with that price bump.. I don't know. Maybe I'm just mad.

I’m not even sure that some of their products actually will return from having their production suspended. 
I believe the A/D converter used in the mixpre 3 is actually EOL and not produced by Asahi Kasei anymore. 
Those used in the 6 and 10 are still in production. 

So either they need to find a compatible slot in, do a pcb redesign or vacuum resellers for it. 

The 833 was suspended as well I believe but I don’t know which converters they are using. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

I remember seeing the 833 for 3700€ (no VAT) two years ago, it's 5000€ now. Looking at what has been added (for free) to the bare recorder: Yes they added some cool bells and whistles, but also a lot of fixes and things that already existed on their older series. None of these things justify a 1.3k price bump imo, even calculating in inflation and chip shortages. I was strongly considering the 833 with the extra channels option now, but with that price bump.. I don't know. Maybe I'm just mad.

Not exactly the same, but shows how it's effecting the entire market: Earlier this year, right after SD announced the suspension of production of some of their mixers, including the 833, I saw some 633's on the used market going for more than I had paid for my 633 when I bought it brand new.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, codyman said:

Don't even get me started on what wireless systems cost per channel. I feel like there's a huge gap in the middle of market right now, we've got a lot of really cool innovative stuff at the low end, all while the higher end equipment keeps getting more expensive.  When I bought my Maxx I think was sub $4k (when Zax finally just included all the options sans radio), and there's absolutely nothing at that price point currently with that kind of feature set.

51 minutes ago, CineStrega said:

Don't even get me started on what wireless systems cost per channel. I feel like there's a huge gap in the middle of market right now, we've got a lot of really cool innovative stuff at the low end, all while the higher end equipment keeps getting more expensive.  When I bought my Maxx I think was sub $4k (when Zax finally just included all the options sans radio), and there's absolutely nothing at that price point currently with that kind of feature set.

Definitely true.  Then again, I seem to be getting Lectro 400 series stuff for ~$8xx a transmitter these days which is a bargain vs the new price which is pretty much at least double.  I know digital transmission is the new darling of the industry (or if you're a Zax guy, has been for a long time) but I have a feeling that the Lectro 400 series is going to be the Sennheiser 416 of our industry and will be around for a very long time.