Stereo RE50

SWDuncan

Has there ever been such a thing as an RE50-style mic but in MS stereo? The VP88 is close, and that is what I'm going to get, I guess, but is there something else smaller?

I know a lot of folks are concerned about noise, but in this case I'm not. At least not self noise. I AM concerned about handling noise and size. 

Handheld stereo mic, preferably reporter style, preferably MS. 

Any ideas?

Jeremy's suggestion is good. I have a CMS9 Sanken now discontinued but very similar to the CMS7 but with fixed XY matrix built in. It sounds very good and is extremely quiet. Heavy at the front end but on a stand with shock mount is fine. Excellent for loud or quiet ambiences.  Not great for booming, but who uses a stereo mic to follow dialogue. (A whole new can of worms there)

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried a mic such as the Sony ECM-999? It's definitely mid-side, although it requires a battery, pre-phantom. Side address if that matters. I own one and it's quieter than the Shure VP-88, although you state above that self-noise isn't a big concern. For what it's worth, I think the Sony ECM-999, with dialable image width, sounds nice and warm. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for an interview or other sound capture. Battery life is good.